Real Flowers

Decorating By risingflour Updated 28 Oct 2009 , 12:21pm by JenniferMI

risingflour Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
risingflour Posted 28 Oct 2009 , 2:05am
post #1 of 4

I have a wedding cake for May 2010 and the bride would like fresh flowers on the top and one or two at the base of each tier (three tiers). She wasn't sure what flower she wants, but she wanted a purple flower...though I'm rethinking this because she is having a white cake with purple beading around the bases. I'm thinking more along the lines of orchids...white with purple.

any ideas or suggestions?

also, what's the best way to add them to the cake then?

and, what do you charge for this service...the price of the flowers plus what?

Thank you all in advance...this will be my first addition of fresh flowers to a cake and any suggestions or advice would be helpfulicon_smile.gif

3 replies
indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 28 Oct 2009 , 2:32am
post #2 of 4

I dont' buy flowers .... real or silk. Flowers are the responsibility of the bride. She can pick up some extra flowers for the cake when she places her order with the florist. I tell them to leave them on the cake table and I'll put them on the cake when I set it up. I don't charge to add flowers to a cake ... I figure it's all part of the decorating and I dont' charge extra to decorate a cake.

Cakechick123 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakechick123 Posted 28 Oct 2009 , 6:46am
post #3 of 4

make sure that whatever flowers you use are not poisonous. And dont rely on the florist to know which ones are!!!

I make sure they dont touch the cake, even edible ones can be sprayed with all sorts of nasty stuff.

I normally buy them myself (once had to run to the shop and get crappy flowers because the bride forgot :O ) I charge whatever I pay for them plus a "handeling" fee, about 25% markup icon_smile.gif

JenniferMI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JenniferMI Posted 28 Oct 2009 , 12:21pm
post #4 of 4

My best advice is this...if you really don't know what you are doing arranging wise, leave it to the professionals. Communicate well to them. That is the key. I'm a former florist so I know first hand. There should ALWAYS be a barrier between the cake and the fresh flowers. Then, you don't have to worry about poisonous ones, ect. They are not eating the flowers. NEVER let anyone stick stems directly into your cake!!

I have something coming out very soon that just might be the ticket to help you.....

Jennifer icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%