No-No?

Business By CinHan Updated 25 Nov 2009 , 12:56am by springlakecake

CinHan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CinHan Posted 28 Oct 2009 , 1:57am
post #1 of 23

Just starting to investigate the option of moving from hobby to business. stage. Okay, this is probably a sticky subject, but I have to ask. I live in Michigan - no home kitchens for caking. icon_sad.gif

?? If you rent a kitchen, do you have to do EVERYTHING there? What about making your gumpaste figures, etc.

Am I terrible for even asking?? Thanks!

22 replies
jenmat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenmat Posted 28 Oct 2009 , 2:09am
post #2 of 23

I know people who do Gumpaste flowers only and don't have to be licensed.

step0nmi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
step0nmi Posted 28 Oct 2009 , 4:12am
post #3 of 23

you should check with your local health department. everyone has different rules and regulations. I have heard there are some states where you can do the baking, frosting, and then finish decorating at home. Maybe you can do your gumpaste figures at home since you could consider then not edible. but, you would have to check icon_smile.gif

kelleym Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kelleym Posted 28 Oct 2009 , 2:51pm
post #4 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by CinHan

?? If you rent a kitchen, do you have to do EVERYTHING there? What about making your gumpaste figures, etc.

In my state you can't legally do anything at home, including flowers or figurines.

peg818 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peg818 Posted 28 Oct 2009 , 3:39pm
post #5 of 23

well, here they consider gumpaste flowers (with wire) to be inedible therefore they are just a decoration. Not intended for consumption.

kelleym Posted 28 Oct 2009 , 3:41pm
post #6 of 23

Here, they don't want anything that touches the cake to have been in a home kitchen. It's "contaminated" (not kidding). I specifically asked about gumpaste/fondant bow toppers, flowers, and figurines.

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 28 Oct 2009 , 9:14pm
post #7 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by kelleym

Here, they don't want anything that touches the cake to have been in a home kitchen. It's "contaminated" (not kidding). I specifically asked about gumpaste/fondant bow toppers, flowers, and figurines.

Aww...man.

Sweet_Guys Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sweet_Guys Posted 28 Oct 2009 , 9:48pm
post #8 of 23

I know the law is the law and the politicians are politicians...But, when it comes down to it, is the cake topper which touches the cake and cleaner or are the fresh flowers which touch the cake any safer?

Food for thought....

Paul

kelleym Posted 28 Oct 2009 , 11:26pm
post #9 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet_Guys

I know the law is the law and the politicians are politicians...But, when it comes down to it, is the cake topper which touches the cake and cleaner or are the fresh flowers which touch the cake any safer?

Food for thought....

Paul

I never said it was rational, I'm just reporting the rules I had to abide by when I had my business icon_biggrin.gif . My rep didn't even want me taking a piping bag to a wedding venue to do borders because "someone could come along and sneeze on it". I was like "someone could come along and sneeze on the cake 2 minutes after I leave". She didn't have any good answer to that.

Sweet_Guys Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sweet_Guys Posted 28 Oct 2009 , 11:28pm
post #10 of 23

I know, Kelley, exactly what you're saying. I wasn't being contradictory to you. Just the whole idea of what society gets in a tizzy over.

Paul icon_smile.gif

Jaimelt76 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jaimelt76 Posted 28 Oct 2009 , 11:39pm
post #11 of 23

Their is a lady here in the U.P that sells homemade royal icing flowers online. I would definitely call and find out with your health dept.. It's always better to be safe than sorry in the long run.

CinHan Posted 24 Nov 2009 , 1:41pm
post #12 of 23

Thanks everyone! I will check with the health dpt. It would be nice to work on my figures at home at least.

juleebug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
juleebug Posted 24 Nov 2009 , 2:07pm
post #13 of 23
Quote:

My rep didn't even want me taking a piping bag to a wedding venue to do borders because "someone could come along and sneeze on it".

Bureaucracy in action

JenniferMI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JenniferMI Posted 24 Nov 2009 , 2:30pm
post #14 of 23

Check with the Dept. of Agriculture. I have a home kitchen, but your area might have different rules. If you rent a licensed space, it all has to be done there to be legal.

Jen icon_smile.gif

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 24 Nov 2009 , 2:52pm
post #15 of 23
Quote:

I was like "someone could come along and sneeze on the cake 2 minutes after I leave". She didn't have any good answer to that.

I dropped my cigarette on the ground once, picked it up and resumed smoking it. Whoever was standing with me said, "it fell on the ground and you're going to put it in your mouth?" I said, "IT'S A CANCER STICK!" icon_eek.gif

Geesh, I'm sucking all kinds of evil chemicals into my lungs and they're worried about me putting a little dirt-germ on my lips! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 24 Nov 2009 , 3:13pm
post #16 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

Geesh, I'm sucking all kinds of evil chemicals into my lungs and they're worried about me putting a little dirt-germ on my lips! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

LOL! icon_lol.gif You are hilarious!

all4cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
all4cake Posted 24 Nov 2009 , 3:23pm
post #17 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

Quote:

I was like "someone could come along and sneeze on the cake 2 minutes after I leave". She didn't have any good answer to that.

I dropped my cigarette on the ground once, picked it up and resumed smoking it. Whoever was standing with me said, "it fell on the ground and you're going to put it in your mouth?" I said, "IT'S A CANCER STICK!" icon_eek.gif

LOL!

CinHan Posted 24 Nov 2009 , 3:36pm
post #18 of 23

I think Michigan is pretty strict from what I have read here. I haven't done enough investigating yet to know the details. Because of all the stringent rules I may not be able to make this happen at all. There is no way I could rent space for enough time to make all my figures - I am still wayyyyy too slow - I would have to charge $1000 per figure. LOL

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 24 Nov 2009 , 4:00pm
post #19 of 23

Not only is every state different so is every county *and* every investigator!
What one tells you might not be what the next one says icon_sad.gif

Once when I was dealing w/the local h.d I was told I had to have a special one day lic for a bridal show even though I was already a lic'd shop. When I called, the *one person* I had to speak with was on vacation and would not return until *after* the event. I got mad and told the people off (didn't help) but then the supervisor of the health dept called and cussed me out! I had no business talking bad mouth to his people! icon_sad.gif

11cupcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
11cupcakes Posted 24 Nov 2009 , 7:15pm
post #20 of 23

You can rent dummy cakes, I don't think you need license for that.

springlakecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
springlakecake Posted 24 Nov 2009 , 10:53pm
post #21 of 23

I am also from michigan. I now have a legal business in my home, however the kitchen needed to be separate from the rest of our living quarters. They used to require a separate entrance in the past, but they have allowed me to have it in the lower level of our home, but completely separate with a door. I do also have to have all the some commercial equipment including a commercial fridge and a 3 basin sink, a separate handwashing sink, and a mop sink.

I don't know if I would go as far as saying the rules are "strict." It can be done, it just took time and money. They were really nice and worked with me. You also should first check about zoning. If your zoning laws dont allow it, you are out of luck.

CinHan Posted 24 Nov 2009 , 11:01pm
post #22 of 23

I didn't think home kitchens were allowed at all in Michigan Merissa. That would help a bunch - I would rather put in the money up front than rent. Hmmmm, interesting. Thanks

springlakecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
springlakecake Posted 25 Nov 2009 , 12:56am
post #23 of 23

It worked out perfectly for me. It will take me a long time to work off the money I spent on it, but it is all mine and paid for with our savings. It is now self sustaining at least! I have been official since March. I think if you are going to be serious about cakes, it is the way to go. It will be more difficult if you have a well/sewer rather than city water etc. I think you have to go through additional steps to have that tested etc. Otherwise it was just going step by step and checking things off the list. It was a lot of work, but worth it to me. I don't think I could have survived renting a place.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%