New York/california - Trans Fat Bans

Business By leah_s Updated 29 Oct 2009 , 3:05am by littlecake

leah_s Posted 28 Oct 2009 , 1:16am
post #1 of 17

My city is starting to talk seriously about banning transfats. The one time I tried baking without transfats I got complaints from customers. And we all know the problems with buttercreme.

So what products are you guys in New York and California using?

16 replies
cylstrial Posted 28 Oct 2009 , 1:21am
post #2 of 17

Wow! I didn't realize that New York and Cali had already banned it!

prterrell Posted 28 Oct 2009 , 1:23am
post #3 of 17

Thank you nanny state. icon_rolleyes.gif

jlynnw Posted 28 Oct 2009 , 1:26am
post #4 of 17

Wow! I just really don't know how to do some things without it! Not all things are equall just like not all things are good for you but come on folks, MODERATION. What are you currently doing without leah_s and has anything worked for you?

leah_s Posted 28 Oct 2009 , 1:43am
post #5 of 17

I made cake with trans fat free shortening and my customers HATED it. My chocolate recipe has oil in it, so I'm OK there. Buttercreme - I haven't a clue.

JanH Posted 28 Oct 2009 , 2:20am
post #6 of 17

leah_s, have you tried Sweetexz?
(Also other brands of zero trans fat shortenings.)

leah_s Posted 28 Oct 2009 , 2:53am
post #7 of 17

I use the DDA (Dawn) shortenings for baking and Alpine for icings. The TFF shortening was a DDA product.

sweetcakes Posted 28 Oct 2009 , 3:38am
post #8 of 17

i thought i read that even though TF is banned in certain states it is not banned for use in bakeries in these states. Knew i should have cut that out and saved it.

ApplegumKitchen Posted 28 Oct 2009 , 4:39am
post #9 of 17

Actually the USA is one of the countries lagging behind on the issue of TRANS-FATS. We all seem to manage fine without Crisco? IMAGINE THAT ..LOL

Trans-fats are allowed in deep-frying oil and there is a regulatory amount that can be contained in margaines etc.

People don't like change - but really when it comes to our health and the health of our children - we need to embrace ALL new information.

It wasn't so long ago that people did not think seeing a young pregnant woman puffing on a ciggie was so bad either. Or a family with a car full of un-restrained children in the back of a car, all windows up and Mum & Dad puffing away.

We will end up looking back at Trans fats in much the same way icon_biggrin.gif

peg818 Posted 28 Oct 2009 , 2:32pm
post #10 of 17

Use butter. No transfat, of course there is saturated fat, but of course butter does taste much better then crisco.

leah_s Posted 28 Oct 2009 , 2:38pm
post #11 of 17

OK, I haven't used actual Crisco in years. I'm asking for reccos on professional products. I buy in 50 pound cubes.

Butter doesn't give me nice white cake or icing. It will also significantly increase my costs. 98% of my biz is weddings.

Has anyone tried the Bunge brand fats? They advertise that they perform just like transfat products but are TFF. I don't want to purchase 50 pounds of product and discover it's crap. Already did that once.

-K8memphis Posted 28 Oct 2009 , 3:13pm
post #12 of 17

So I have tried to bake cookies with it--molasses crinkles in particular and my gingerbread recipe that I use for buildings--not cool.

I cut back one third the shortening on the molasses crinkles and they were a lot better but otherwise they spread open like the newspaper.

Molasses crinkles are one of those cookies that I bake that are a nostalgiac favorite and they don't turn out right with butter either.

I've got a softie soft soft sugar cookie recipe that probably won't work either. It's like a lofthouse only better. Shoot.

I don't mind trying new stuff but I don't like trouble shooting the tried & true when they become the tired & poo because of something like this.

Btw-when I was pregnant we never smeared our kids with shortening and rolled up the windows, we rolled them down.-- icon_lol.gif

-K8memphis Posted 28 Oct 2009 , 3:25pm
post #13 of 17
Originally Posted by ApplegumKitchen

...People don't like change - but really when it comes to our health and the health of our children - we need to embrace ALL new information.

It wasn't so long ago that people ...

Maybe but it wasn't so long ago that people thought margarine was a healthy substitute for butter. So we need to use our brains on this too.

We can have prescription drug advertisements on our tvs (don't know about other countries). So we get a new drug come out & it's all over the tube--then wait a few months/years.

Here come the lawyer advertisements for the class action lawsuits and settlement awards for the people harmed by the that great new drug they had advertised so rigorously just previously. You can find them sandwiched in between the next new drug commercials...

I embrace new stuff with a large salt shaker.

~~Sorry, Leah I don't know about anything commercial.~~

peg818 Posted 28 Oct 2009 , 3:31pm
post #14 of 17

Well, i don't mind the off white color of my cakes and icing and neither do the people i make them for, i also use pure vanilla so there is no way that i'm sending out a snow white cake.

As far as the commercial products try contacting your supplier, perhaps you can get a sample to give it a whirl. Often sales reps will have product that they can split up just for this type of purpose.

snarkybaker Posted 28 Oct 2009 , 5:14pm
post #15 of 17

I have sad news for you...your costs are going up, wayyyyyy up. We don't use shortening except in dairy free ( for allergy reason) cakes, and the good shortening with emulsifiers in it that make it work well cost more than butter does wholesale, and BTW, we use the good stuff when it comes to butter, European style- high fat etc...

Sweet_Guys Posted 28 Oct 2009 , 9:45pm
post #16 of 17

We use all butter for our cakes. When we want a white cake, we use white gel colors and it does the trick.

littlecake Posted 29 Oct 2009 , 3:05am
post #17 of 17

i got my baking buyer mag in today, there was a new ad fot transzero icing

i haven't checked it out yet.

years ago i used to buy the 50 cubes of icing from dawn not the buckets of play dough) was really pretty good.

do you really think the trans fat shortening will be banned everywhere?

seems silly to me, ban the trans fat shortening, but still sell lard right next to the zero trans fat slop.

Quote by @%username% on %date%