What Tip Would I Use To Make This Border?

Decorating By korensmommy Updated 29 Oct 2009 , 1:24pm by lilthorner

korensmommy Posted 28 Oct 2009 , 12:10am
post #1 of 25

A friend sent me this cake photo and I just love the border on the bottom of the 6" cake!

I know how to do the white border, but what tip would I use to make the pink border?

Thanks!
LL

24 replies
tenleysmommy Posted 28 Oct 2009 , 12:13am
post #2 of 25

It looks like a rose tip maybe?I have never made a ruffle border so I am not 100% sure.

KitchenKat Posted 28 Oct 2009 , 12:16am
post #3 of 25

104 petal tip. Put the fat side on the cake at about 45 degrees. Pipe as though you were making a petal flat against the cake's surface. Sorry I'm not good with describing the process.

jlynnw Posted 28 Oct 2009 , 12:16am
post #4 of 25

rose tip.

vlk Posted 28 Oct 2009 , 12:18am
post #5 of 25

I will take "Which Tip for $1000" Alex....

Looks like a Rose tip, maybe #125 (large) I've done this making hydrandea's on cupcakes.

HTH

Vicki

cylstrial Posted 28 Oct 2009 , 12:46am
post #6 of 25

It's a cute cake! I like the horse! And I think you could make it with a regular 104, although a bigger tip would be easier.

korensmommy Posted 28 Oct 2009 , 2:15am
post #7 of 25

Thanks everyone!
I think I will splurge and buy a larger rose tip since I'm bored with my current borders and love this one.
Thanks KitchenKat for the instructions too.

Cristi-Tutty Posted 28 Oct 2009 , 2:32am
post #8 of 25

This is so beautiful

korensmommy Posted 28 Oct 2009 , 2:36am
post #9 of 25

I know! I wish I knew who created this cake. Look at the handwriting on the fondant banner, it's beautiful!

ninatat Posted 28 Oct 2009 , 2:38am
post #10 of 25

you need to use tip 21 shell border for under the ruffle, i use the large rose tip, it takes some practice i think wilton has it on their site, i haven't gotten the pressure right but getting better, looks easy but is really not. that's why i practice alot

Cristi-Tutty Posted 28 Oct 2009 , 2:43am
post #11 of 25

http://www.wilton.com/technique/Wild-Rose

wow a lot of work but beautiful....

korensmommy Posted 28 Oct 2009 , 2:43am
post #12 of 25

ninatat -
What you're saying is #21, then #125, then the small white bead border?
[email protected], that seems complicated.....

ninatat Posted 28 Oct 2009 , 2:45am
post #13 of 25

is that cake all in fondant it looks like it, and the horse i stepping on it. i think she used a small oval or round cutter and pinched the end to make it curve, and put on in a circle and place the cake on top of the pinched part, like when your making a larger ear on a figurine and rolled little balls

jlynnw Posted 28 Oct 2009 , 2:52am
post #14 of 25

I really don't think that there is a #21 below the petal border. It is just a wild rose petal side by side and then finished with a bead boarder. I regular ruffle border would have the shell border first and then the ruffle.

korensmommy Posted 28 Oct 2009 , 2:56am
post #15 of 25

I'm going to give it a try at the end of November.
Any more helpful hints would be appreciated!

FromScratch Posted 28 Oct 2009 , 3:09am
post #16 of 25

I'd be willing to bet that is one by Ashley... http://www.flickr.com/photos/cakesbyashley/
She does great work. icon_smile.gif

korensmommy Posted 28 Oct 2009 , 12:34pm
post #18 of 25

'She does great work' is the understatement of the year!!!!
Holy [email protected] she has some perfect looking cakes!

Thanks for the link FromScratch, do you see a place to contact her from Flickr? I would love to ask if she would share how to make that border. Is she on CC?

FromScratch Posted 28 Oct 2009 , 3:19pm
post #19 of 25

I don't think she is on CC, but if you post a question under that cake on Flickr I'm sure she'll respond. She's a sweet person.

ninatat Posted 28 Oct 2009 , 4:11pm
post #20 of 25

yea but that's how you make the ruffle for buttercrea , what i was saying is think the cake is fondant it has so much on it, so you could use a small circle and pinch the end so it will leave that ruffle look, or i'd do a ruffle out of fondant wouldn't look exactly like that ruffle, you just roll out your fondant and gather edges as far apart as you like and put the 2nd cake on top of the edges. and i've rolled out fondant balls, do you think the cake is fondant

kakeladi Posted 28 Oct 2009 , 9:03pm
post #21 of 25

JenniferMI also makes this border. It is nothing more than a zigzag using a large rose tip. The fat end of the tip against the cake. Just move the tip back and forth as you work from the size - not straight on at the cake. Helps to have the cake on a turntable and maybe someone to move it slowly around as you work, but it can be done alone icon_smile.gif

Oh, if you look at the seasonal & holiday cakes in her photostream you will see an oval Christmas cake for a better look at the border.

FromScratch Posted 29 Oct 2009 , 2:04am
post #22 of 25

The border is piped on... the accents are fondant, but the border itself is piped. That much I do know. icon_smile.gif

mrsmudrash Posted 29 Oct 2009 , 4:42am
post #23 of 25

http://www.atasteofwhimsy.com/carli13.jpg

This gal uses that border a lot too...she's "tamivo" here on CC if you want to pm her...

korensmommy Posted 29 Oct 2009 , 12:32pm
post #24 of 25

Thanks, I will PM her!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsmudrash

http://www.atasteofwhimsy.com/carli13.jpg

This gal uses that border a lot too...she's "tamivo" here on CC if you want to pm her...

lilthorner Posted 29 Oct 2009 , 1:24pm
post #25 of 25

it is a 104 tip and a few have said. Ashley does it alot, sugarshack actually has a thread on here where there were alot of pages (i think) asking who made it and how.. they call it the "jen border" becasue jenniferMi originated it.. i think above, someone described how to do it.. That is how it's done, it does take practice though.. i hae attempted it before.. some ok, some not so much icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%