Dark Colors Bleeding

Decorating By Chrisl121070 Updated 8 Nov 2009 , 9:33pm by auntiecake

Chrisl121070 Posted 27 Oct 2009 , 11:34pm
post #1 of 7

I did a search in all the forums and couldn't find anything, so I apologize because I'm sure that this has been asked before. lol

How do you keep dark colors from bleeding into white/light icing? Anytime I use red or black or another dark color for writing/decorating, the color bleeds into the light color after about a day.

6 replies
maryann221 Posted 7 Nov 2009 , 2:06pm
post #2 of 7

What recipe are you using? I am having the same problem icon_sad.gif I think I might try to add some meringue powder next time. Or I might try a royal icing transfer. Here is my latest, and he's bleeding!

if you can't see the pic you can try this:

auntiecake Posted 8 Nov 2009 , 1:39am
post #3 of 7

The link is not working, but what kind of coloring are you using? Wilton bleeds and I have heard Americolor is better because of this. I love Americolor and it does seem to not bleed.

Also is your frosting very damp! If you frost your cake frozen and then put color on it before it thaws it can bleed.

maryann221 Posted 8 Nov 2009 , 5:08pm
post #4 of 7

I use Wilton. I don't know where to buy Americolor. Yes the cake was frozen, as was the FBCT of course.

auntiecake Posted 8 Nov 2009 , 5:47pm
post #5 of 7

I don't know where you live, but you can get Americolor online. It seems to take less also and is a gel, not a paste. It is easier to stir into your frosting. I used Wilton for years before I found out about Americolor.

I always make sure my cakes are pretty much thawed before I put dark colors on them. Have you noticed your colors fading when the cake thaws. The moisture washes them out! I learned the hard way. I hope this helps!

maryann221 Posted 8 Nov 2009 , 8:32pm
post #6 of 7

thank you! I had not noticed them fading, in fact the dark colors seem to get richer as they oxidize. Weird!

auntiecake Posted 8 Nov 2009 , 9:33pm
post #7 of 7

Yes they do get a couple of shades darker. That is true with both brands. What I mean by fading is when you ice the top of a cake like for green grass when it is frozen, it will wash out the color as it thaws and the moisture comes to the surface. I am glad that hasn't happened to you. It is usually in the center. Very frustrating because it doesn't show up right away. Good Luck and Happy Decorating!

Quote by @%username% on %date%