Layered Cakes

Decorating By jamc100 Updated 27 Oct 2009 , 11:51pm by jamc100

jamc100 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jamc100 Posted 27 Oct 2009 , 10:29pm
post #1 of 5

Quick question: I am making my cousins wedding cake this Friday. The pans that I have are 2 inches deep. What would you recommend in regards to the layers. Is it okay to just make one cake, and then torte it for the layers. Or is it necessary to bake two cakes. I thought it might be okay to just bake one 2 inch cake, but my mom and sister both told me that it would look funny. I haven't seen anything anywhere that suggests the best way to go.

Thanks!

4 replies
Ruth0209 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ruth0209 Posted 27 Oct 2009 , 10:36pm
post #2 of 5

I always do two 2" tall cakes, each torted for a 4" tall cake. It has four layers of cake and three layers of filling. Most cakes are 4 - 4 1/2 inches tall. I guess it depends on how many servings you want. 2" cakes only serve half as much.

__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 27 Oct 2009 , 10:38pm
post #3 of 5

That would look nearly like this: http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_wGr8njEWjtI/St2bEd14rqI/AAAAAAAAFGs/TCVTbpOlH9M/s1600-h/J+Loucks.lw.wedding+result.jpg.....and that would be a very bad thing. icon_biggrin.gif

Edited to add: That pic was featured on CakeWrecks (most of y'all would recognize it, but felt it prudent to note that)

catlharper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
catlharper Posted 27 Oct 2009 , 10:40pm
post #4 of 5

I agree with Ruth. To torte a 2in cake would give you VERY thin layers and the filling, depending on what you use, could make the cake mushy. I make two 2in cakes and then torte them to make my tier 4 in tall or so.

jamc100 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jamc100 Posted 27 Oct 2009 , 11:51pm
post #5 of 5

Thank you everybody!

I originally gave her a quote for my original plan, but I'm glad i threw a little in for me, because now that extra is going to go towards the extra materials I need. Oh well...

LURVELY: lol, wow. I was having a hard time visualizing it. However, my cake is going to be on pedestals, so I'm sure it wouldn't look quite so bad. Thanks for the visual though. That is bad!! lol

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%