Can I Use Wilton Luster Dust With Air Brush???

Decorating By farmom3 Updated 29 Oct 2009 , 12:06am by ttehan4

farmom3 Posted 27 Oct 2009 , 10:19pm
post #1 of 8

anybody do that ?? I am thinking to add Vodca to the dust and spray the cake with air brush ????

7 replies
cshelz Posted 28 Oct 2009 , 2:37am
post #2 of 8

I have not, but my friend did and it clogged. Not sure if it always does though.

icer101 Posted 28 Oct 2009 , 3:05am
post #3 of 8

i have used dust.. but not tried the wilton brand.... mixed with everclear in my airbrush lots of time.. again it was not wilton.. it did great..i cleaned it really good in hot water... emerged it in water several times. and sprayed out what was left .. never had a problem at any time.. that is just what i have done.. don,t know if you will have any problems. hope you dont. either. i mixed the color in a little plastic cup and shook it really good. poured into airbrush cup . placed my thumb over opening. shook it really good again.. each time i went to pour more. i shook it really good

FromScratch Posted 28 Oct 2009 , 3:06am
post #4 of 8

I use gold dust and silver dust all the time, and I used some of the pink wilton luster dust with no ill effects on my brush. Just make sure you clean it out really well when you are done.

Loucinda Posted 28 Oct 2009 , 12:24pm
post #5 of 8

Make sure you clean your brush really well - when using the sheen colors, I even clean it every 3 fills while I am using it. (I have not used the dusts in mine - I just buy the sheen colors from americolor)

Cakepro Posted 28 Oct 2009 , 3:31pm
post #6 of 8

It also depends on the size of the needle you are using. My Paasche airbrush blows regular pearl/luster dust through with no problem (cut with vodka) but my Airbrush City airbrush requires me to use the Americolors airbrush luster dust liquid - and even then, I have to cut that with vodka too, even though the pearl dust is very fine.

farmom3 Posted 28 Oct 2009 , 11:55pm
post #7 of 8

Thank you very much everybody

ttehan4 Posted 29 Oct 2009 , 12:06am
post #8 of 8

I use luster dust and vodka, but not wilton brand. I use a airbrush cleaner in mine when im finished and I also pour a little hot water in a blow it through as well as submerging when im done. Not had a problem. The airbrush cleaner is great. I also have a bottle of americolor pearl liquid. It is very expensive (17.00 a bottle) and it takes a few coats to even see it.

Quote by @%username% on %date%