I Learned A Valulable Lesson Today...

Lounge By Sugarflowers Updated 30 Oct 2009 , 3:17am by lthiele

Sugarflowers Posted 27 Oct 2009 , 7:27pm
post #1 of 12

NEVER, EVER let your gas tank get below 1/4 full. After dropping my son off at school today I was headed to the gas station and hoping I would not be going in on fumes. I'm on Highway 75 in Texas during rush hour. For those who don't know, 75 is a major inroad to Dallas. I notice that my car is not accelerating and it kind of coughed. I look at the speedometer and it's going down, quickly! I coasted to the shoulder.

I know I should have gotten gas several times, but my son is worse than a girl about getting ready to go. It's always a rush to get him to where he needs to be. I have also been pretty ill for quite a while and just getting back home to rest is usually my main concern. I always think I'm going to have time to get gas or feel better so that I can function in a normal manner. I'm still waiting for this. icon_confused.gif

Thankfully, I have AAA. I called them to rescue me and only had to wait about 20 minutes. Cars and trucks were blazing by and I felt like I was going to be blown off the road. The safety railing was just outside my right door and the cars seems to be only a few feet away from my door. I kept watching the rear view mirror for the AAA vehicle. Mostly I saw a lot of cars going really fast and even changing lanes with me sitting there with my hazard lights blinking.

I made it to the gas station and then home. By that time, the nerves have hit me and I'm shaking. I call my husband to tell him the story and to help calm my nerves.

So, just remember. Keep an eye on your gas gauge! icon_lol.gif

Michele

11 replies
Deb_ Posted 27 Oct 2009 , 7:31pm
post #2 of 12

That's very good advice....I'm glad you're ok now. As I type this I remember my gas light was on all the way home today, but I didn't feel like stopping at the gas station. hmmmm icon_rolleyes.gif

__Jamie__ Posted 27 Oct 2009 , 7:32pm
post #3 of 12

Not only that, but it's bad to constantly (not saying you do) run your car with a low fuel level. The fuel pump will last longer and work better if it remains submerged in fuel. Dropping a tank for a fuel pump job is not ever a small bill. icon_sad.gif

Sugarflowers Posted 27 Oct 2009 , 7:38pm
post #4 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by LURVELY

Not only that, but it's bad to constantly (not saying you do) run your car with a low fuel level. The fuel pump will last longer and work better if it remains submerged in fuel. Dropping a tank for a fuel pump job is not ever a small bill. icon_sad.gif

Yeah, I was worried about how well the car would start since it had died empty. There are all kinds of problems that be caused by letting the tank go dry. Fuel injected engines seem to have fewer problems at start up after an empty tank. Old engines with carburetors really don't like to be out of fuel! icon_smile.gif

So far, I have only run out of gas 4 times in my driving life, almost 30 years. Two of them weren't my fault. The gauge was seriously inconsistent. Really. icon_rolleyes.gif

Michele

Texas_Rose Posted 27 Oct 2009 , 7:41pm
post #5 of 12

My mom used to run out of gas all the time and when she did, us kids would have to push the car to the gas station. Sometimes it was pretty far!

peg818 Posted 27 Oct 2009 , 8:21pm
post #6 of 12

I start looking for a gas station when the needle reads a half tank. Drives my husband nuts, since he will bring the car home with a 1/4 tank and tell me you got plenty of gas to get to work. (I drive all back roads to work and its very dark in the morning!!)

manahigh Posted 27 Oct 2009 , 9:52pm
post #7 of 12

I am TERRIFIED to run out of gas. I don't want to be at the mercy of some "kind"? or "psycho" stranger to help since I don't have AAA and my husband travels alot and isn't always around. I never go below 1/4 tank even if I have to pay much more at the time.

adree313 Posted 27 Oct 2009 , 10:24pm
post #8 of 12

yeeeeahhh... i ran out of gas on a freeway off ramp. it just so happened to be the off ramp of knott's berry farm (dropping my cousin off). it was pretty horrendous and, needless to say, terrifying. i just never want to "waste" ( icon_rolleyes.gif ) my money on gas hehe. but, i've learned to suck it up and just put the dang gas in there or else.... icon_biggrin.gif

diane Posted 28 Oct 2009 , 4:19pm
post #9 of 12

how scary... icon_redface.gif i always try and fill up even when my car is a half tank full. i dread ever running out of gas...especially on the highway. glad you made it o.k...and that you have AAA!! thumbs_up.gif

TheCakerator Posted 29 Oct 2009 , 2:46pm
post #10 of 12

that's horrible. I hope I never run out of gas. Thankfully my dh knows this and makes sure my tank is either always full or he's taking it to the station to get it filled!

adonisthegreek1 Posted 30 Oct 2009 , 3:01am
post #11 of 12

Never letting my gas tank go below 1/4 is something my dad taught me long ago. I try to tell my daughter that, but as usual she'll have to learn the hard way.

lthiele Posted 30 Oct 2009 , 3:17am
post #12 of 12

((HUGS)) Sitting on the side of a freeway is really scary - there is seriously no room for error! Our old car broke down on a HOT afternoon when I was 9 months pregnant with my daughter. Our son was 3 and I just sat and prayed the whole time "Please dont let anyone hit us and PLEASE dont let me go into labour on the side of this road!" icon_lol.gificon_cry.gificon_lol.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%