Wasc Did I Make It Right?

Decorating By Rachie204 Updated 28 Oct 2009 , 2:40am by Rachie204

Rachie204 Posted 27 Oct 2009 , 6:48pm
post #1 of 6

I tried the WASC cake that was so highly recommended. While it was good...it was different than what I was expecting. It sort of reminded me of angel food cake. (the taste)....it was also a little fluffier than I expected. I was wondering if this is how it is supposed to taste or did I do something wrong?

5 replies
FullHouse Posted 27 Oct 2009 , 6:54pm
post #2 of 6

I've never had mine turn out the consistency of Angel Food cake at all. I use Betty Crocker mix (white, yellow, or triple choc.), maybe that has something to do with it? Also, sift the flour, mix all ingredients at once - no creaming necessary. What do you think you may have done differently?

Rachie204 Posted 27 Oct 2009 , 7:10pm
post #3 of 6

Honeslty Im not sure....I used white DH. It was't the texture of Angel food cake as much as it was similar to the flavor. The flavor was very strong. (from the almond) ...hummmm....

It was good....just not my taste I think. Does anyone have any suggestions for a cake mix that might taste a little more like a pound cake that would be good for stacking and carving?

jardot22 Posted 27 Oct 2009 , 7:15pm
post #4 of 6

I use Betty Crocker's Golden Vanilla mix, and leave out any almond flavoring (the almond might be the flavor you don't care for - i dont' care for it). I dont' even use vanilla either, and it tastes very yummy. The consistency is very dense, but moist as well. It works great for stacking, and also for carving as long as it is well chilled.

kcjc Posted 27 Oct 2009 , 7:20pm
post #5 of 6

I just made that for the first time. i also used the Dncan Hines white and thought the same thing. love the texture and gave it to family and friends .we all loved it. My tsp of almond overflowed slightly as the vanilla did not. We agree almost like angle food taste(a little sweet) thought i will be sure and carefully add almond next time and will try the Betty crocker that i usually use. Duncan Hines just happened to be on sale @ Harris Teeter buy one get one free= .79 each (that BOGO was worth the try.sale ends today tuesday).

Rachie204 Posted 28 Oct 2009 , 2:40am
post #6 of 6

Im glad im not the only one who found the taste different. Phewww thought I was pregnant there for a minute...LOL

Kinda feel bad because the cake was for a guy at my husband work whos birthday is tomorrow. Hubby asked me if I wanted to do him a cake (as I am trying to get experiance)... my husband said to do a boxed yellow cake mix because that was what the guy likes....I said "no i'm going to do something better" LOL....I hope he likes angel food cake!

Quote by @%username% on %date%