Sheet Cake Conundrum

Decorating By thecakemancan Updated 27 Oct 2009 , 8:18pm by thecakemancan

thecakemancan Posted 27 Oct 2009 , 5:22pm
post #1 of 8

My friend is in charge of making four Costco sheet cakes look presentable at a wedding. Her idea is to have two "layers" of styrofoam the same size as the cakes with one real layer on top, to be replaced by the others when necessary. I think it's smart, but my concern is that it will just be too bulky. Costco cakes are rather large, and multiply the height by three and it would just be a large block. My idea was to put pillars
in between a fake layer and the real one. Then she would have that height, bit with less blocky.

So what do you think of either idea? Let me know what you would do with Costco cakes to make them visual interesting?

7 replies
KHalstead Posted 27 Oct 2009 , 6:12pm
post #2 of 8

I think you'd be better off buying a bunch of their 8" rounds and serve them as centerpiece cakes..

You mean she's going to put full sheet cakes out as the wedding cake??

I'm not sure I'd attach my name to a costco sheetcake regardless of how much I got paid!

Mensch Posted 27 Oct 2009 , 6:14pm
post #3 of 8

Send this to her!

cakesbybert Posted 27 Oct 2009 , 6:34pm
post #4 of 8

Why not use the real cake for the base, cake and use dummie cakes for the additional tiers. Could then use other shapes and sizes to get a real nice looking wedding cake. The B & G could cut the bottom tier for pics then go ahead and serve the other 3 before disassembling the "wedding cake" to cut the last sheet cake. I would definitely not make all the tiers the same size!

sadsmile Posted 27 Oct 2009 , 6:45pm
post #5 of 8

icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif A sh-t cake.

indydebi Posted 27 Oct 2009 , 7:29pm
post #6 of 8

Place one sheet on the table. Behind this cake, stack some upside down brandy snifters, perhaps with flowers in the glasses. I'd set up six snifters (2 rows of 3 glasses for each cake) behind and slightly to the left, then another behind and slightly to the right. Then set 2 sheets on these. YOu'll have 2 elevated cakes with a cake on the table, centered between and in front of the elevated cakes.

The 4th one can be in the back as an extra, OR>....... turn 4 tall vases upside down (or if they have flat rims, right side up) with flowers inside. Place this one in the smack dab center slightly behind the 2 elevated ones.

You end up with a diamond set up .... tall cake at 12 o'clock, cake on table at 6 o'clock and then 2 others slightly elevated out to the sides.

I did this once for a friend years ago who was on a tight budget. It really does look nice.

KHalstead Posted 27 Oct 2009 , 7:36pm
post #7 of 8

wow debi............that actually sounds like it could look nice!!

Now, how are we gonna get the cakes to taste good? lol

thecakemancan Posted 27 Oct 2009 , 8:18pm
post #8 of 8

Thanks for the ideas! I have forwarded them to my friend, and we will see
what she says!

Quote by @%username% on %date%