Talk About Stress!

Lounge By Texas_Rose Updated 27 Oct 2009 , 10:47pm by Texas_Rose

Texas_Rose Posted 27 Oct 2009 , 5:21pm
post #1 of 7

My DH works for a museum and they've been having money issues for a while now. A couple of times they issued paper checks instead of doing direct deposit, and didn't give out the checks until 5 pm on payday. DH was always worried the check wouldn't be any good when they did that, but it always worked to cash it.

They got paid on Friday last week but were told to please not cash it until Monday, and then to deposit it in their bank accounts if possible (rather than cashing it at the bank it was drawn on). I nagged DH until he took it to the bank it was drawn on, on Saturday, and cashed it. Good thing he did, because one of his friends went in at 11 am on Monday and tried to cash his paycheck and was told that there were insufficient funds. He talked to the accountant and she said that hopefully they would be able to deposit some money today so he could cash it. DH asked around and most of his coworkers had deposited their checks in their own bank accounts either Saturday or Monday.

And the museum has been having events, hoping to get donations, a couple times a week...for example yesterday they had one with beer and food and live music which undoubtedly they had to pay for, and paid for instead of paying the employees.

DH says he doesn't want to look for a new job because his job pays the most he's ever made and more than he can make doing the same thing for anyone else in town. It's our only source of income and this whole thing is just making me ill.

6 replies
Kiddiekakes Posted 27 Oct 2009 , 5:35pm
post #2 of 7

Well it certainly sounds like it won't be long before the museum has no more money to pay their employess and will claim bancrupcy.If I were him I would start looking around even though he doesn't want to.He's gonna end up working his 40 hours a week and not getting paid anyway...Bummer!

Texas_Rose Posted 27 Oct 2009 , 5:40pm
post #3 of 7

I know...I told him that. He's been there since before they opened so he feels some loyalty to the place I guess. But it's my parents we're going to have to borrow from if they don't pay him icon_sad.gif His work pays every two weeks and runs a week behind, so if he ever doesn't get paid, that will be three weeks he worked for free.

I would have thought a business would tell their employees, "Sorry, we can't pay you anymore, we have to lay you off," or whatever, not just write hot checks for payroll.

Kiddiekakes Posted 27 Oct 2009 , 5:46pm
post #4 of 7

Actually he is lucky he didn't come to work one day with a sign on the door saying they are in receivership and locked out!..Then he surely would get squat! He's kinda lucky that they are least giving the heads up which will allow employees to start looking.Most companies spring it on them out of the blue..and that hurts more!!

Mike1394 Posted 27 Oct 2009 , 6:16pm
post #5 of 7

He NEEDS to find a new job NOW. I don't care if your making 10 grand a week if you don't get paid it's still the same as making ZERO.

Mike

mkolmar Posted 27 Oct 2009 , 8:43pm
post #6 of 7

Been there - done that. My DH had the same thing happen with a computer company. Paychecks were being told to wait to a certain day to deposit or cash. Shortly after a few of them bounced with insufficient funds, but they always made sure to tell him as soon as he could cash it.
Soon after that they all began to bounce, no money to pay him. He went a full month without being payed. Only 1 income supporting our family and he wasn't getting paid. Our account was horrid because he wasn't getting paid. I tried so many times to convince DH to leave, but he wouldn't think of it. Finally, after working for free for a month he changed his mind.
The damage was already done to our account at that point though, took a little bit to straighten out.
Another time he went to work and their was chains on the door, thank goodness I was working then. Kddiekakes is totally correct that that one hurts more. Like being sucker punched.

The warning signs are there, he needs to start looking. It's hard to find a job anymore. The sooner he starts the better.

Texas_Rose Posted 27 Oct 2009 , 10:47pm
post #7 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkolmar

Been there - done that. My DH had the same thing happen with a computer company. Paychecks were being told to wait to a certain day to deposit or cash. Shortly after a few of them bounced with insufficient funds, but they always made sure to tell him as soon as he could cash it.
Soon after that they all began to bounce, no money to pay him. He went a full month without being payed. Only 1 income supporting our family and he wasn't getting paid. Our account was horrid because he wasn't getting paid. I tried so many times to convince DH to leave, but he wouldn't think of it. Finally, after working for free for a month he changed his mind.
The damage was already done to our account at that point though, took a little bit to straighten out.
Another time he went to work and their was chains on the door, thank goodness I was working then. Kddiekakes is totally correct that that one hurts more. Like being sucker punched.

The warning signs are there, he needs to start looking. It's hard to find a job anymore. The sooner he starts the better.

I'm going to share this with him when he wakes up (he works overnight).

Thanks everyone for listening, it helps it seem a little less scary having talked about it a little bit.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%