Which One You Would Prefer, Butter Or Shortening And Butter?

Decorating By miasuzzette Updated 29 Oct 2009 , 1:43am by prterrell

miasuzzette Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
miasuzzette Posted 27 Oct 2009 , 4:48pm
post #1 of 25

Using a Buttercream Recipe, Which one you prefer to use Butter or Shortening and Butter, Thanks for your responds, Have a Good one...

Thank you thumbs_up.gif

24 replies
sewlora Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sewlora Posted 27 Oct 2009 , 4:52pm
post #2 of 25

I like the half and half.

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 27 Oct 2009 , 4:53pm
post #3 of 25

I like the half and half mixture as well. But it really depends on the weather for me.

cakeandpartygirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeandpartygirl Posted 27 Oct 2009 , 4:54pm
post #4 of 25

I use butter and shortning. I believe that the shortning helps it to hold up better but the butter makes it taste yummy to me. But there are some people that use a shortning based one and it tastes good also, it all depends.

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 27 Oct 2009 , 5:06pm
post #5 of 25

I like Indydebi's all-crisco recipe the best.

This last weekend though, I was running low on Crisco and so I replaced 1/2 cup of the crisco with a stick of salted butter and it tasted wonderful. I could have just stood there and eaten it with a spoon. Usually the weather here is too warm for me to use butter, but I think from now on, when it's cool weather I'll use part butter and part crisco. It's always going to be Indydebi's recipe though, it's the greatest icon_biggrin.gif

TitiaM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TitiaM Posted 27 Oct 2009 , 5:16pm
post #6 of 25

I use all butter--never had a problem, but I don't live in a particularly hot area.

kaddikakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kaddikakes Posted 27 Oct 2009 , 5:18pm
post #7 of 25

I've been using the shortening based icing during my Wilton classes but I really like when I use half butter and half shortening (taste wise). I used the half and half before taking the classes. I wasn't decorating just icing. Does the half and half crust?

bbmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bbmom Posted 27 Oct 2009 , 5:25pm
post #8 of 25

I pefer the flavor of half butter/half shortening.

Mensch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mensch Posted 27 Oct 2009 , 5:26pm
post #9 of 25

All butter, of course, being the cake snob that I am. The S-word isn't even in my vocabulary.

step0nmi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
step0nmi Posted 27 Oct 2009 , 5:30pm
post #10 of 25

i can't eat just shortening based anymore...I think the Wilton classes ruined it for me icon_razz.gif

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 27 Oct 2009 , 5:33pm
post #11 of 25

icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif Can't be a shortening snob where I live, if I use butter in the summer it melts on the way to the car icon_biggrin.gif

Marybeth09, crusting has to do with the sugar to fat ratio rather than what kind the fat is, so as long as your recipe usually crusts when you use all shortening, it will crust with part butter substituted.

Trish43 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Trish43 Posted 27 Oct 2009 , 5:53pm
post #12 of 25

I prefer shortening. I have always used the shortening recipe and sometimes i add a little butter flavoring extract.

tx_cupcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tx_cupcake Posted 27 Oct 2009 , 6:06pm
post #13 of 25

Yes, we Texans can not adhere to a butter-only recipe. As much as I'd love to use all butter, I also prefer to deliver my cakes with the frosting still attached icon_lol.gif . So, I do the next best thing - 1/2 butter, 1/2 shortening.

Tiffany29 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tiffany29 Posted 27 Oct 2009 , 6:10pm
post #14 of 25

I like a mix of both.

jammjenks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jammjenks Posted 27 Oct 2009 , 6:11pm
post #15 of 25

I use 1/2 shortening and 1/2 Imperial brand margerine. icon_razz.gif

Sweet_Guys Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sweet_Guys Posted 27 Oct 2009 , 10:04pm
post #16 of 25

Although we're in hot and humid central Florida, Mensch is SO right....It's ONLY butter for us....Shortening....YUCK!!!! But, hey, that's us and our clients...Guess that's what makes the world go round.

Paul

__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 27 Oct 2009 , 10:07pm
post #17 of 25

Butter. If I have to use a shortening based, it must must must be hi rat.

Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 27 Oct 2009 , 10:18pm
post #18 of 25

I use 2 recipes depending on weather......all butter in the cool temps, 1/2 butter, 1/2 hi-ratio in the hot/humid New England summers.

Never Crisco again now that I've discovered hi-ratio (Sweetex preferably)

__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 27 Oct 2009 , 10:19pm
post #19 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkelly

I use 2 recipes depending on weather......all butter in the cool temps, 1/2 butter, 1/2 hi-ratio in the hot/humid New England summers.

Never Crisco again now that I've discovered hi-ratio (Sweetex preferably)

Yes-Sweetex.

tx_cupcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tx_cupcake Posted 28 Oct 2009 , 12:45pm
post #20 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet_Guys

Although we're in hot and humid central Florida, Mensch is SO right....It's ONLY butter for us....Shortening....YUCK!!!! But, hey, that's us and our clients...Guess that's what makes the world go round.

Paul

So what's your secret to keeping the butter cream on the cake when it's 107 degrees? I'd love to know, since where I live summer weddings are routinely outdoors and in crazy high heat. This summer, it was in the triple digits throughout July and August. I made ONE butter-only butter cream cake for a birthday party (for family, thank God) and even though it was only outside for maybe a total of three minutes, it still melted enough to look shlumpy.

sweettooth88 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweettooth88 Posted 28 Oct 2009 , 12:55pm
post #21 of 25

I would love to be able to use butter only but out in west texas that is normally not even possible in December...lol. So i have to use 1/2 and 1/2. Shortening only is just gross!!!

HannahLass Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HannahLass Posted 28 Oct 2009 , 1:28pm
post #22 of 25

Hi Im in the UK so high temps REALLY aren't a problem. I use all butter I did try the shortening (after some helpful cc'er telling me what the equivalent over here was) and I loved that it was white but no matter what I did it still felt like I was eating petrolium Jelly. I love the flavour of the all butter BC and it fills and goes in and on my cakes under fondant. It's just personal prefence really and it's probably all in my mind about the consistence of the white white shortening buttercream. X

FullHouse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FullHouse Posted 28 Oct 2009 , 1:52pm
post #23 of 25

I use half and half, just can't get enough stability with all butter in the south.

khoudek Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
khoudek Posted 29 Oct 2009 , 1:38am
post #24 of 25

All butter here. If it's summer I will use half and half so the icing holds up better, but the flavor isn't as good.

prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 29 Oct 2009 , 1:43am
post #25 of 25

All butter, but then I make IMBC. icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%