Phyllis52 Posted 27 Oct 2009 , 3:53pm
post #1 of

I usually use the NFSC, but came across Penny's recipe. I'm just wondering if anyone has used it and if it's better than NFSC.

Thanks.

23 replies
lilthorner Posted 27 Oct 2009 , 3:59pm
post #2 of

I think many people have used Penny's and liked it over the NFSC.. search penny's. you should get alot of results

Phyllis52 Posted 27 Oct 2009 , 4:48pm
post #3 of

Yes, thank you - I did look it up and it doesn't have to be chilled. I think I may give it a try.

Deb_ Posted 27 Oct 2009 , 10:29pm
post #4 of

I use Penny's exclusively and love it.....I do chill the dough however even though the recipe says you don't need to I find it easier to work with.

manahigh Posted 28 Oct 2009 , 12:19am
post #5 of

Could someone please give the recipe for Penneys cookies? Or tell me how to get the search function to work. I am having trouble searching for them. I just can't seem to get it to work. Thanks so much.

cutthecake Posted 28 Oct 2009 , 12:30am
post #6 of

I think this is what you're looking for.

http://www.texasmonthly.com/food/recipefiles/Desserts%3A+Cookies/2000-12-01/recipe.php

FromScratch Posted 28 Oct 2009 , 12:56am
post #7 of

I do too and I love it. I have made them both side by side using the same exact amounts of flavoring and everyone who tried them prefered Penny's over the NFSC's. They are wonderful. I cut them out and chill them before I bake. I started doing this when I cut out a bunch and had to wait for the oven space. It works great and they hardly spread at all. My go to sugar cookie recipe! icon_biggrin.gif

cylstrial Posted 28 Oct 2009 , 1:12am
post #8 of

It sounds like I'll have to try it! My husband is wanting a different cookie recipe. He doesn't like NFSC - although everyone else loves them!

Thanks!

Naty Posted 28 Oct 2009 , 1:26am
post #9 of

I use Penny's with the sour cream and love them. I have a pic posted under my photos.

Naty

cylstrial Posted 28 Oct 2009 , 1:32am

Your cookies turned out cute Naty!

manahigh Posted 28 Oct 2009 , 2:15am

Thanks so much for the recipe. Does anyone know if its necessary to use unbleached flour or whipping cream. Can all-purpose flour work as well. Can milk be used in place of the cream?

FromScratch Posted 28 Oct 2009 , 3:03am

You could used bleached flour if you want. I find that bleached flour gives a slightly different flavor, but it works the same. I would think if it's whole milk it'll be fine.

Phyllis52 Posted 28 Oct 2009 , 9:49am

I tried the Penny's recipe and you guys were right, they are sooo much better. I didn't have unbleached flour, so next time I'll use that.

Thanks for your responses. thumbs_up.gif

Phyllis52 Posted 28 Oct 2009 , 9:50am

Naty -

Quick question - you added sour cream? How much? I didn't see that in the recipe......

bonniebakes Posted 28 Oct 2009 , 7:12pm

I've tried both Penny's recipe and the NFSC recipe... did a blind taste test with over 12 people, iced and plain. Some preferred the NF, some Pennys. There wasn't a clear consensus, and almost half of the testers couldn't' tell the difference (especially with icing).

I go with the NF as my standard recipe, because it is so easy to work with and because it cuts out the expense of some of the ingredients (like the cream).

Naty Posted 28 Oct 2009 , 7:35pm
Quote:
Originally Posted by cylstrial

Your cookies turned out cute Naty!

Thank you!

Naty Posted 28 Oct 2009 , 7:37pm
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phyllis52

Naty -

Quick question - you added sour cream? How much? I didn't see that in the recipe......

I substitute the sour cream for the whipping cream.

sweetflowers Posted 28 Oct 2009 , 7:54pm

I've made both, but prefer the Penny's. I use whole milk since I never have whipping cream on hand and my normal all-purpose flour. They come out great, but I do chill while I wait for the oven too, to reduce any spreading.

SueW Posted 29 Oct 2009 , 2:26am

I have tried both and I must say I think Penny's taste better BUT the NFSC makes more cookies per recipe for me so I end up using the NFSC recipe more icon_rolleyes.gif

FromScratch Posted 29 Oct 2009 , 9:18pm

Just double Penny's recipe.. icon_wink.gif

Phyllis52 Posted 13 May 2011 , 3:21pm

Anyone know if I can make Penny's recipe into a chocolate cookie? I'm thinking to sub. 1 cup cocoa for flour and add some extra sugar? Am I close?

Thanks.

messy1 Posted 14 May 2011 , 12:59pm

I am always looking for a new sugar cookie recipe. Right now I am using Karen's basic rolled cookie and my family likes it. Does Penny's cookies have much spread or rise? I find recipes that include baking powder usually raise and round on top which make decorating with a glace difficult because it runs off so badly. Anyone know? Thanks.

Mattie1 Posted 14 May 2011 , 1:37pm

I love this recipe. Sometimes I substitute coffee creamer for the whipping cream.

messy1 Posted 23 May 2011 , 2:11am

Just got done making cookies using Karen's cookie dough and this Penny's recipe. I did not use the unbleached flour that it calls for (expensive and not sure I would make this again)...but I think the Penny's cookie recipe is a drier cookie than Karen's. Maybe I cooked them longer than I should have but I think right now I am sticking with Karen's.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%