How Do I Make A Sheet Cake?

Decorating By Mug-a-Bug Updated 30 Oct 2009 , 10:21pm by cakeandpartygirl

Mug-a-Bug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mug-a-Bug Posted 27 Oct 2009 , 3:37pm
post #1 of 22

I've got my first wedding cake order (yeah!). She wants 200 servings! I'm going to see if she wants a sheet cake for some of the servings. How do I make one of these? I understand that a 9x13 cake is a quarter sheet cake? So do I make 4 of these and set them side by side?? How much do you charge for a sheet cake and how many servings is that? Also, what do I serve such a giant cake slab on? I found another thread that said a sheet cake was 96 wedding servings. I was thinking of charging $1 / slice, but that's a $96 sheet cake! Thoughts please icon_confused.gif THANKS!

21 replies
mcdonald Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mcdonald Posted 27 Oct 2009 , 3:45pm
post #2 of 22

Well.. I never charge enought but when I sell a sheet cake to go along with a wedding cake, I only charge $50 because I don't decorate it... I just ice it, smooth it and pipe a border around it....

I have a pan that is 11 x 15 (I think that is it) that is a 1/2 sheet so I just make two of those and "shove" them together. A sheet cake will feed between 90 - 100 wedding size pieces

ccr03 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ccr03 Posted 27 Oct 2009 , 3:51pm
post #3 of 22

I don't get the point of having sheet cakes at a wedding. It's more work - for you! Check out indydebi's blog - http://cateritsimple.blogspot.com/2009/10/sheet-cakes-why.html - GREAT explanation!

But if you are insistent upon a sheet cake, you make it for how ever many servings the 'grand' cake is in need of. For example, if you end up making a cake with 150 servings, then you need a sheet cake with 50 servings.

lilthorner Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lilthorner Posted 27 Oct 2009 , 3:58pm
post #4 of 22

a commercial sheet pan is 18x26 cake pans vary so people use 12x18 or 11x15 to say half sheet. piece measurements should be about 2x2 so thats how u determine the servings..

when you say what do u serve it on, im confused. a sheet is usually only 2 inches high. I have made kitchen cakes, or cutting cakes before, but it was for a 300 person wedding and the bride was set on having 4 tiers, so I couldn't add a tier. i made the cake the same as the wedding cake (4 layers of cake and 3 of filling) so it would't appear different when it was cut. i didn't cover it in fondant, nor didi i decorate it. I just iced it.. However, I didn't adjust the cost on the cutting cakes.

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 27 Oct 2009 , 3:58pm
post #5 of 22
Mug-a-Bug Posted 27 Oct 2009 , 4:04pm
post #6 of 22

I read Debi's blog, and I see her point. However, I am much less experienced and for me I think it would be easier to not make a GIANT teired cake. Thanks for the replies.

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 27 Oct 2009 , 4:23pm
post #7 of 22

the idea of having a sheet cake as extra servings is something a lot of my brides opt for when they can't afford a HUGE tiered cake. I do decorate it identically to the main cake though and it's 2 layers high as well, so that once it's cut the slices look identical to the main cake, only the icing doesn't have to be as perfect or neat as the main cake, so I knock off some of the price/serv.and I don't have to stack it and use plates/pillars, etc.

I charge $1.00/serv. for them as well, my tiered cakes are $2.25/serv. so it's less than half, but again I don't have to spend nearly the time I do on the main cakes.

I've never done just a single layered sheet cake for a wedding though, because the people with 4" long slices of cake vs. the people with a 2"x2"x2" square of cake are gonna know who got the fancy cake and who got the slab cake.......not that it would taste any different, but that's part of the oooohs is actually eating a cake that you just gawked over for 4 hrs. because it was so gorgeous it looked fake, I would be disappointed to get the "slab" cake if the lady next to me got the main cake. If they're both 2 layers, nobody will know the difference!

cakeandpartygirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeandpartygirl Posted 27 Oct 2009 , 4:48pm
post #8 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by SinCityCakes

I've got my first wedding cake order (yeah!). She wants 200 servings! I'm going to see if she wants a sheet cake for some of the servings. How do I make one of these? I understand that a 9x13 cake is a quarter sheet cake? So do I make 4 of these and set them side by side?? How much do you charge for a sheet cake and how many servings is that? Also, what do I serve such a giant cake slab on? I found another thread that said a sheet cake was 96 wedding servings. I was thinking of charging $1 / slice, but that's a $96 sheet cake! Thoughts please icon_confused.gif THANKS!

I looked at your pictures and I thought that maybe you hadn't done any tiered cakes. icon_redface.gif But I don't understand why you would want to do a sheetcake for a wedding, your skills to me are ready for a wedding cake undertaking. For 200 servings I think that you would be doing only 2 more tieres at the most. Think of it as doing 2-2tiered cakes and not let the idea of a wedding cake intimidate you.!!! Go for it thumbs_up.gificon_biggrin.gif

Mug-a-Bug Posted 27 Oct 2009 , 5:44pm
post #9 of 22

BUT I'M SCARED!! icon_surprised.gificon_surprised.gif

I've only made a two teired cake, so I'm not sure I could make a huge one. I would hate to ruin anyone's wedding cake. I've emailed her and given her the option. Also, I quoted her $2.50 / slice, so she might go running for the hills anyway. I really appreciate all the advice. The wedding isn't until the end of January, so if she decides to go BIG, than I will have some time to practice icon_smile.gif

cakeandpartygirl Posted 27 Oct 2009 , 5:55pm
post #10 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by SinCityCakes

BUT I'M SCARED!! icon_surprised.gificon_surprised.gif

I've only made a two teired cake, so I'm not sure I could make a huge one. I would hate to ruin anyone's wedding cake. I've emailed her and given her the option. Also, I quoted her $2.50 / slice, so she might go running for the hills anyway. I really appreciate all the advice. The wedding isn't until the end of January, so if she decides to go BIG, than I will have some time to practice icon_smile.gif

I can totally sympathize (if that is the correct word) with your feelings but cc is an awesome place where you can find sound information. I see that you know how to stack it but I would recommend using using the sps system that leah_s highly recommends. it is good also if you are going to leave spaces between the tiers as well. Just by saying that you are not wanting to ruin anyone's cake means that your heart is in the right place. But since you have until the end of January you are going to be fine. What kind of decorations are the wanting? If they want some flowers tonedna has got some awesome tutorials on gumpaste flowers on youtube and she has a video on how to do stargazer lillies that you can purchase ( I hope that it is the correct one) it can be found at designmeacake.com Have confidence in your skills YOU CAN DO IT!!! (Sorry I was thinking of the movie waterboy )icon_redface.gif

Mug-a-Bug Posted 27 Oct 2009 , 6:14pm
post #11 of 22

Thanks. I will DEFINATLY be using the sps system if she wants more than 2 teirs. Is it hard to use?? (I've read the tutorial). I'm pretty sure she just wants white BC with real roses. Should be a good first wedding cake for me. Thank you, thank you, thank you. You guys are great. I love this site.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 27 Oct 2009 , 7:36pm
post #12 of 22

If you can stack 2 tiers, you can stack 10 tiers. THe process is the same on every single tier. You do nothing different.

As mentioned above, a full sheet is 18x26 (or 18x24). Cut this in half and you have 12x18 = half sheet = 54 servings on a sinlge layer; 108 servings on a 2-layer; cut this in half and you get 9x12 (what we call 9x13) = quarter sheet= 24 servings single layer, 48 servings double layer. I think the 11x15 is what wilton came up with and I've no idea where that comes into play.

Although be warned: I see in grocery stores that they are selling the 11x15 as a half sheet. People are getting screwed if they think they are buying a half sheet. Also be warned that people may approach you with "But the grocery sells a half sheet for THIS much!" No, they aren't, because that's NOT a half sheet.

Which is why I refuse to use the terms.

prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 27 Oct 2009 , 8:31pm
post #13 of 22

200 servings isn't that big of a tiered cake. No need for kitchen cakes.

Besides, is 200 the number of yes RSVPs or the number she's inviting? If it's the number she's inviting, you'll likely only need cake for 120-150.

Mug-a-Bug Posted 28 Oct 2009 , 10:57pm
post #14 of 22

OMG - THIS IS THE CAKE SHE WANTS icon_surprised.gif

http://www.themakery.com/Cakes.php

Maybe I'm in over my head?

cakeandpartygirl Posted 29 Oct 2009 , 2:06am
post #15 of 22

Are you talking about the red and white scrolls with the red and white flowers? If so the scrollwork is very simple. The picture looks like it is buttercream but of course you could do it in fondant. I think the most difficult part of it to me is getting the square cake iced square but tonedna has a video on youtube and I think that there is one in the articles.

But no way are you over your head!!!! Wilton has some impression markers that would help with the design.

jlynnw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jlynnw Posted 29 Oct 2009 , 2:30am
post #16 of 22

SCC, go and look at your "Marlene's Birthday cake". Make 2 of those with the scroll design and stack them. Add the flowers and your done. Just change the cornelli lace for the scrolls, use the impression marker if need be, and go for it. You can do it!

littlecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
littlecake Posted 29 Oct 2009 , 3:12am
post #17 of 22

if you still want to make a full sheet...bake 4 1/4 sheets and glue them together with a layer of icing between them....then just ice the cake as usual.

i think they'd prolly sell you a full sheet pad and box at the grocery store, i haven't seen them offered at hobby lobby.

good luck whatever you decide.

Mug-a-Bug Posted 29 Oct 2009 , 2:30pm
post #18 of 22

Thank you so much for all the replies! I feel much more confident about the whole thing now!!! icon_biggrin.gif

cakeandpartygirl Posted 29 Oct 2009 , 2:44pm
post #19 of 22

Post pictures when you are done. I'd love to see it!!!

akgirl10 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
akgirl10 Posted 30 Oct 2009 , 9:04pm
post #20 of 22

Your work is very nice, I think you can handle it. Make sure to tell her that your cake will not look exactly like the picture, it will be your interpretation of the design. I think it's really hard to replicate someone else's cake.

Pagea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pagea Posted 30 Oct 2009 , 9:38pm
post #21 of 22
Quote:
Quote:

I can totally sympathize (if that is the correct word) with your feelings but cc is an awesome place where you can find sound information. I see that you know how to stack it but I would recommend using using the sps system that leah_s highly recommends. it is good also if you are going to leave spaces between the tiers as well.

Forgive me I'm a newbie icon_redface.gif but can you tell me what sps system means? And is there a link or a post that I can refer to? Thanks.

cakeandpartygirl Posted 30 Oct 2009 , 10:21pm
post #22 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pagea

Quote:
Quote:

I can totally sympathize (if that is the correct word) with your feelings but cc is an awesome place where you can find sound information. I see that you know how to stack it but I would recommend using using the sps system that leah_s highly recommends. it is good also if you are going to leave spaces between the tiers as well.

Forgive me I'm a newbie icon_redface.gif but can you tell me what sps system means? And is there a link or a post that I can refer to? Thanks.

sps is separator plate system and here is the link: thumbs_up.gificon_biggrin.gif

http://media.cakecentral.com/files/sps_104.pdf this is the directions

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=603925&postdays=0&postorder=asc&&start=0 this is the original link

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%