Help W/starting Business

Business By mamakiddx3 Updated 28 Oct 2009 , 2:22am by jenmat

mamakiddx3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamakiddx3 Posted 27 Oct 2009 , 1:12pm
post #1 of 7

I am very interested in selling cupcakes. I love to bake and decorate. I just want to start small out of my home since I have no idea how to do the business side and I don't want to mess up. I figure this way I can get some experience and learn as I go. I'm getting very frustrated though. I know people sell cakes out of their homes but when I call the health department here, in Illinois, she says I need a separate kitchen with stove, 3 different sinks, etc. That will all cost an enormous amount of money, that I do not have. Or she said that I can rent somewhere and sell from there. I don't want to rent because I have no idea if I will need cupcakes every day. Please help. I just want to bake, decorate and sell cupcakes from my home for now. Thanx, Jennifer icon_confused.gif

6 replies
costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 27 Oct 2009 , 1:18pm
post #2 of 7

I hate to say it, but you already have the information that you need to know what you have to do to start a legal business. If there are people doing this out of their homes who don't have the required health department setup, they're doing this illegally.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 27 Oct 2009 , 1:39pm
post #3 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamakiddx3

I have no idea how to do the business side and I don't want to mess up.

If you have no idea how to do a business, then you shouldn't start a business. Contact the SBA or SBDC to take some classes and get educated. Running a cake business is WAY more than just baking a cake.

Quote:

That will all cost an enormous amount of money, that I do not have.

The barrier we all face, but every business requires an investment on your end.

Quote:

I don't want to rent because I have no idea if I will need cupcakes every day.

When you're in business, this is how it works. I have to pay rent on my shop whether I have a cake order that day (or that week) or not. The light company expects to be paid for a full month's worth of electricity, not just the days that I'm in the shop baking.

Quote:

I just want to bake, decorate and sell cupcakes from my home for now.

Then do it as a hobby ..... sounds like you're no where near the mindset or the financial state to be a real business.

This is not meant to be harsh, but just telling it like it is. You (the generic you) either want to be a real business or you dont. If you (the generic you) have no idea how to run a business, how to start a business, how to deal with business issues (like paying rent with no orders), then you're nowhere near ready to have a business.

Don't lose the dream .... start now to take the steps needed to get up and running. thumbs_up.gif

vagostino Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vagostino Posted 27 Oct 2009 , 1:40pm
post #4 of 7

I know you want to do it from your home, but if your state doesn't allow it then you'll be doing it illegally. That is your decision to make. I personally couldn't do that because if you get someone sick or something happens you can loose everything.
Can you find a church that has a kitchen, and rent their space on a daily basis? just talk to them and see if you can pay by day on "as needed" basis. Also, if you find a church or community center, you can even offer to bake some stuff for them to pay for your rent.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 27 Oct 2009 , 1:43pm
post #5 of 7

I mean you are saying you want the potential of having a business without the responsibility of doing it right. And believe me I am in the same boat--I do too!! But alas, I cannot even have a separate kitchen on my property in my county--I have to have commercially zoned property and my zoning is residential.

icon_biggrin.gif

Welcome to my world.

My best recommendation is for you to make all the cuppies you want and give them away, eat them, paper the walls with them.

I mean if someone helps their kid make a science project, a volcano or something--do they all of a sudden say hey I wanna go in business making science fair kits for kids or mass marketing volcanoes. No.

Why is it bakers want to go in business all the time?

Do scrapbookers want to set up businesses?

Do people who photograph have a burning desire to go into businees???

I don't know --I'm just running my mouth. And by the way I think this is an incurable disease. icon_biggrin.gif

vagostino Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vagostino Posted 27 Oct 2009 , 1:48pm
post #6 of 7

I'm with you too. I'm lucky that my state allows home bakeries, but still i had to pay $200 to file my LLC, i have to get a business license, $400 a year for liability insurance, plus other things and i haven't even sold a cake yet!

You need to think that even when now you don;t have much business, you have to build for the future. I know that the first couple of years i won't make any money and be lucky if i end up being even, but if you start on the right foot now, you'll see how your business will grow over time.
you'll have the chance to advertise, to tell everybody you know that you have a legitimate business and that'll bring more customers than being hiding in your kitchen selling a couple dozen cupcakes to your neighbors.

jenmat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenmat Posted 28 Oct 2009 , 2:22am
post #7 of 7

If you're serious, you need to change your mindset. You can't "just" do business. It is an all or nothing proposition.
If you want to make money off what you love to do, you need to begin the process of getting to that point, and all the hitches along the way.
I think most of us have gone through what you are going through- that changing of the mind that takes you from- "I JUST want to sell a couple of cakes a month from my home to "OK, I need a business plan, a loan, training and lots of support, and I'M REALLY GONNA DO THIS! "
I wish you the best getting there!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%