Last-Minute Wedding Cakes

Business By costumeczar Updated 28 Oct 2009 , 2:17pm by cas17

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 27 Oct 2009 , 10:33am
post #1 of 21

Just curious if other people have seen an upswing in people calling for last-minute wedding cakes. I'm referring to orders placed less than a month ahead of time, and sometimes less than that. I've had a few people email for cakes for mid-November, which for me is really late. What the heck is going on?

20 replies
MikeRowesHunny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MikeRowesHunny Posted 27 Oct 2009 , 10:54am
post #2 of 21

Unfortunately (with Dutch B&Gs), that's always the case here! I do make it clear on my website though that it will serverely limit their choice of designs and that I prefer at least 3-6 months notice. Most of my Expat couples book 6+ months ahead.

jillmakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jillmakescakes Posted 27 Oct 2009 , 12:10pm
post #3 of 21

I've noticed that too! I think that a lot of "winter weddings" think that because they aren't during the typically busy season, that they can take more time.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 27 Oct 2009 , 12:11pm
post #4 of 21

Yes, absolutely. I've even had couples say they weren't going to have a wedding cake, but found money in the budget at the last minute, or that a relative stepped in to pay for the cake. I've had probably half a dozen in the last couple of months. It's the economy. They pay for wedding vendors in their perceived order of importance. Venue, dress, food, photographer, flowers, then cake.

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 27 Oct 2009 , 12:16pm
post #5 of 21

I will never understand why people think that something that sits there throughout the reception, is a feature of their cake-cutting pictures, and is the last thing that their guests eat, is low on the priority list. But I'm sure I'm preaching to the choir here icon_rolleyes.gif

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 27 Oct 2009 , 1:44pm
post #6 of 21

At a bridal show this past weekend, all the florists were telling me the FLOWERS were the last to be booked! icon_lol.gif It's all perception, I guess.

But yes, I've noticed a lot more last minute orders (under 3 months). I attribute it to economy. Couples are waiting longer to pay for things. I don't think they are putting the cake last .... I think they are paying off the big venue bill, FIRST. I think they are paying for all of the tuxes FIRST. I think they are waiting to see what their final guest list will be so they can order the amount of cake actually needed.

I think it's easier to come up with $500 for a cake than it is to have 4 vendors with monthly payments all due.

It may be a pain to us, but if a couple can start out smart, with a reduced debt load, then I'm all for 'em.

(And let's get honest folks. we CAN do a cake in less than 3 months. It's no hardship on us. THe only big hardship is their date may already be booked in full.)

CakeForte Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeForte Posted 27 Oct 2009 , 2:46pm
post #7 of 21

I have had at least 5 orders that have come in less than 10 days. In one bride's defense....she got taken by a scammer, so she was willing to pay the price for something done "right".

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 27 Oct 2009 , 2:53pm
post #8 of 21

you mean there are cake people scamming the customers?? Not the other way around for once?? Poor girl!

CakeForte Posted 27 Oct 2009 , 3:01pm
post #9 of 21

I know!! Crazy right. Someone had set up "shop" as a cake business...even went as far as to get their licenses/permits, sold cakes for CHEAP, like 300-500, then either A) delivered a terrible product, or B) didn't show up to the wedding at all. Word started to get around on the knot, wedding wire, and yelp, etc.

Eventually they just "disappeared" because word was getting out. My bride didn't know any of this, she only found out because she was confirming everything, and they were no where to be found...Phones were off, web site was disabled. Just gone.

__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 27 Oct 2009 , 3:08pm
post #10 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by CakeForte

I know!! Crazy right. Someone had set up "shop" as a cake business...even went as far as to get their licenses/permits, sold cakes for CHEAP, like 300-500, then either A) delivered a terrible product, or B) didn't show up to the wedding at all. Word started to get around on the knot, wedding wire, and yelp, etc.

Eventually they just "disappeared" because word was getting out. My bride didn't know any of this, she only found out because she was confirming everything, and they were no where to be found...Phones were off, web site was disabled. Just gone.

Would that be the fabulous Joseph, who would document the entire creative process, even videotaping himself writing poetry and singing about your cake? I bet it was. That was the biggest freakshow cake shop I've ever seen.

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 27 Oct 2009 , 3:14pm
post #11 of 21

I actually did one this past week, ONE weeks' notice. icon_confused.gif (I only had one other wedding and a birthday cake for the weekend, so I took it on) I told her you don't get anything fancy, plain 3 tiers - I did put a ribbon around the bottom of each tier. They were happy, and since I was baking anyways - wasn't a big deal to throw a few more layers in the oven. I have never had anyone cut it THAT close before though. (and BTW - it was the brides' friend who ordered and bought the cake, NOT the bride)

CakeForte Posted 27 Oct 2009 , 3:16pm
post #12 of 21

Not sure, that sounds vaguely familiar, but was one of the "designer" options. They had lasted about a year b/c I checked the website last fall.

The person mentioned in all of the online reviews refers to a team of two women. So I don't know.

What is the "Joseph" scam? Has that been going on for years?

__Jamie__ Posted 27 Oct 2009 , 4:10pm
post #13 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by CakeForte

Not sure, that sounds vaguely familiar, but was one of the "designer" options. They had lasted about a year b/c I checked the website last fall.

The person mentioned in all of the online reviews refers to a team of two women. So I don't know.

What is the "Joseph" scam? Has that been going on for years?

I'm trying like mad to find it on Google....can't find anything. Gist of the story (it was on Yelp), was this "cake artist" Joseph would build you a dummy replica of your wedding cake, videotape the whole process (for memories), do all sorts of weird things in the name of art, all for $$$$$ huge money. They had stolen pics on their site, some were just scanned from the knot, and it hit the fan when they delivered a Simpsons wedding cake to a venue that was the ugliest hack job wedding cake ever. Like a 5 year old put it together. Edible images on GP panels that were peeling off the cake, bulges, leaning, I mean awful.

Anyways, this website was hilarious, and turns out these guys shut down and left town all of a sudden and left a lot of people in the lurch. Apparently, they were not the artists they made themselves out to be. I think CakesDivine knows more about them, she and I were talking about it once. They were in Dallas I believe. Dang, I wish I could find it. I'm going to scan Yelp and try to dig up a pic,. Horrid!

saffronica Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
saffronica Posted 27 Oct 2009 , 5:05pm
post #14 of 21

My husband just called to say that one of his coworkers decided last night to get married on Saturday, and they want me to do the cake. Five days to plan a whole wedding! Good thing she's not picky, 'cause I'm no professional!

When I used to sell wedding cakes, we'd get at least one order a month with less than a week's notice. Since it was a large bakery, we could usually accommodate them, but there were a couple of times when people would stop by the bakery to buy a cake ON THE WAY TO THE RECEPTION! I guess they just thought we had wedding cakes in the case, ready to go....

CakeForte Posted 27 Oct 2009 , 5:16pm
post #15 of 21

Yes, that was them..they were in Austin. Really a terrible situation, I guess I had missed the posts earlier. I found out about it over the summer when I was checking up on the competition; I saw that terrible cake! It's up on yelp.

http://www.yelp.com/biz_photos/xGUdZ-v6ltxjE7RblKt-5g?select=D44hZmMRZ3bjPZjbhUnbtA

__Jamie__ Posted 27 Oct 2009 , 5:17pm
post #16 of 21

Austin! I was searching Dallas, yep....thanks!! This was so sad it was funny.

rosiecast Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rosiecast Posted 27 Oct 2009 , 7:14pm
post #17 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by costumeczar

I will never understand why people think that something that sits there throughout the reception, is a feature of their cake-cutting pictures, and is the last thing that their guests eat, is low on the priority list. But I'm sure I'm preaching to the choir here icon_rolleyes.gif

I'm not a pro, but one of the first things I got was the design of my cake. That was VERY important to me. So not all brides are the same. I actually paid more for my cake than for my dress. lol

cakesdivine Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesdivine Posted 28 Oct 2009 , 1:49pm
post #18 of 21

Oh please don't bring me into this L, I still have nightmares about those people and their entire scamming crew of sales reps! But CakeForte it is the same company. The women involved were associated with this guy, it was a cake scam ring and they targeted brides all over the country.

alvarezmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alvarezmom Posted 28 Oct 2009 , 2:00pm
post #19 of 21

How embarrising... icon_redface.gif I'm from Austin. What the heck are those balls with bows supposed to be??? Are those cupcakes?

I'm doing my 1st wedding cake next weekend. I'm so nervous about it.

With that said I dont get last minute wedding cake orders. But Yesterday I got two cake/cupcake orders for this Saturday. I know it's not the same as a wedding cake, but cakes/cupcakes still cost allot.

yelle66 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yelle66 Posted 28 Oct 2009 , 2:10pm
post #20 of 21

Totally! I had someone book 2 weeks in advance. I thought maybe they had just gotten engaged and were planning it on the quick, but they had been planning a Halloween wedding since July (not that that is a long time, but more than 2 weeks icon_wink.gif I agree with Indy. If I have the date available, I don't really care how long in advance they book. I just have to be realistic about what they can expect.

Danielle

cas17 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cas17 Posted 28 Oct 2009 , 2:17pm
post #21 of 21

i have experienced the last minute wedding cake as well. the one i did 2 wks ago was booked only 5wks from the event date. money was indeed a factor in their delay. but it's not only wedding cakes. a lot of people think a week for celebration cakes is okay. right now i'm new and can do it as i'm not that busy (yet!) but i let them know that their designs are going to be limited. maybe i should charge a rush fee?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%