Where Can I Buy Supplies Wholesale?

Business By dvessels Updated 7 Jul 2010 , 12:58pm by emrldsky

dvessels Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dvessels Posted 27 Oct 2009 , 3:05am
post #1 of 12

Indiana now allows home based cake businesses. I am just starting up and I have searched the net and cannot find any place that will wholesale supplies to small businesses. I would like to be able to purchase various items and love the new cupcake wrappers. GSA has it all but doesn't wholesale to home bakers. Any suggestions? Thanks!

11 replies
prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 27 Oct 2009 , 3:09am
post #2 of 12

Others can correct me if I am wrong, but I believe in order for a business to be able to purchase items wholesale, they must have a tax id number.

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 27 Oct 2009 , 3:35am
post #3 of 12

Hi and Congrats on your 1st post, dvessels. icon_smile.gif

Are you saying that you're a legal home baker but not a licensed business (no tax ID) so that you're not able to purchase through normal wholesalers?

If so, Sam's Club, Costco, restaurant supply stores or Sysco online will sell in bulk to the public. Also, for flavorings and extracts, I'd recommend www.nationalflavors.com Call and they'll send you a brochure.

HTH

JenniferMI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JenniferMI Posted 27 Oct 2009 , 8:38pm
post #4 of 12

CK products is a great wholesale outlet. You do need a 125.00 minimum order. They are in Ft. Wayne.

Jen icon_smile.gif

Uniqueask Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Uniqueask Posted 27 Oct 2009 , 8:47pm
post #5 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by JenniferMI

CK products is a great wholesale outlet. You do need a 125.00 minimum order. They are in Ft. Wayne.

Jen icon_smile.gif

Don't you need a tax number/ vendor licence, to order from them, I know the tax number is your Tax ID #, correct me, if I am wrong but what is the vendor licence.

JenniferMI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JenniferMI Posted 27 Oct 2009 , 8:49pm
post #6 of 12

All you need is a sales tax number to buy from CK. You don't need a business license.

Jen icon_smile.gif

Uniqueask Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Uniqueask Posted 27 Oct 2009 , 8:55pm
post #7 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by JenniferMI

All you need is a sales tax number to buy from CK. You don't need a business license.

Jen icon_smile.gif

Thank you Jen.

Kims_cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kims_cakes Posted 27 Oct 2009 , 8:58pm
post #8 of 12

dvessels PLEASE tell me more about Indiana allowing home based cake businesses. I live in Indiana too. I will send you a pm as well.

wholden Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wholden Posted 27 Oct 2009 , 9:08pm
post #9 of 12

Yes!! I also live in Indiana and have just started looking for a kitchen to rent. I would love to be able to be licensed from home. For now I can't afford to leave my "real" job to open an acutal store front, so I'm very interested in learning more about the home based business.

Wholesalers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Wholesalers Posted 7 Jul 2010 , 11:36am
post #10 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by dvessels

Indiana now allows home based cake businesses. I am just starting up and I have searched the net and cannot find any place that will wholesale supplies to small businesses. I would like to be able to purchase various items and love the new cupcake wrappers. has it all but doesn't wholesale to home bakers. Any suggestions? Thanks!

There are many wholesale portals on Google buddy. You can try ebay, wholesalepages.co.uk, afooddirectoty.com etc...

Hope it helps you.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 7 Jul 2010 , 11:45am
post #11 of 12

Indiana passed the Farmers Market Bill, which allows you to sell home baked/processed foods at a Farmers Market. This is not the same as allowing home-based bakeries. Be sure you check the details so that you are in compliance.

emrldsky Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emrldsky Posted 7 Jul 2010 , 12:58pm
post #12 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

Indiana passed the Farmers Market Bill, which allows you to sell home baked/processed foods at a Farmers Market. This is not the same as allowing home-based bakeries. Be sure you check the details so that you are in compliance.

^^ Yep.

Also, the bill allows for you to sell at roadside stands. Definitely check the law, and contact your local HD.

And not all farmers markets are allowing vendors to sell under this law. I'd check with your local market master as well.

Good luck!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%