I Have Problems...

Decorating By yiyo21 Updated 27 Oct 2009 , 9:07am by zdebssweetsj

yiyo21 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yiyo21 Posted 27 Oct 2009 , 2:55am
post #1 of 7

hi!

I am in charge of doing the cakes for a school different celebrations... school teachers bdays, halloween, thanksgiving , etc.
Usually i bake two 14"x2" cake to put one in top of the other, using betty croker box cake. Everything goes excellent until i have to put the second cake in top of the other i am truly bad in doing it!!! icon_cry.gif Always always the cake cracks!!!
What i do is that i put the cake in a carton board and then i try to put it in top of the other, but for some reason the cake kind of glue itself to the board and then when i try to move it, it cracks!!!
This only happens with big cake because i cannot handle it well.
So what i cand do?? Does anyone has tips, advise, tutorials, photos, anything!!!
The next cakes are for thanksgiving and then for xmas... and i dont know from there.
So please pretty please help me!!!

6 replies
MnSnow Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MnSnow Posted 27 Oct 2009 , 3:07am
post #2 of 7

You can use a flat baking sheet that has no edges. That's what I use and it works great! No sticking like you get with the cardboard circles

HTH

prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 27 Oct 2009 , 3:07am
post #3 of 7

First, don't put the upper layer on a board. Instead, turn it out of the baking pan onto a large cooking rack (the top of the cake will be facing down). Lay another cooling rack on top of the cake and flip the cake over. Remove the first cooling rack from the cake. The top of the cake will now be facing up. Leave the cake like this to cool. Before transferring onto the top of the base layer, trim the cake to be level, if required. Then, take the cake, still on the cooling rack, and line the sides of the two cakes up to each other, so that they are sitting side by side. Working quickly, tilt the cooling rack with the cake on it up and over, flipping the cake onto the base layer. Remove the cooling rack. Then do any fine adjustments needed to have the cakes line up on all sides. HTH!

prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 27 Oct 2009 , 3:08am
post #4 of 7

PS - You can also freeze the top layer and transfer it while frozen. This makes the cake much easier to handle.

sweetlybaked Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetlybaked Posted 27 Oct 2009 , 3:15am
post #5 of 7

I agree with prterrell, freeze it. I always freeze it on some kind of board (cake, cutting, etc.) but put a piece of either waxed or parchment paper on the board first. then after it is frozen I flip it over onto the other cake. I have done it not frozen before, also. How I do this, is place a board on top of the cake pan, flip the cake out. Wait until it is completely cooled then line the edges of the cakes up and slide it off of the board onto the other cake. HTH and good luck!

yiyo21 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yiyo21 Posted 27 Oct 2009 , 6:02am
post #6 of 7

thanks a lot for all the tips, i would definetely try them!!!

zdebssweetsj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
zdebssweetsj Posted 27 Oct 2009 , 9:07am
post #7 of 7

Wiltons make a cake lifter you will need two for big sheet cakes I love mine. If your ckae is very moist you can dust the lifters with a little corn starch.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%