How Do I Sculpt A Cake?

Decorating By MrsMcTasha Updated 5 Nov 2009 , 3:45pm by majka_ze

MrsMcTasha Posted 27 Oct 2009 , 1:47am
post #1 of 11

I just got an order for a 3D Jordan Shoe cake. I have seen and read that I must ice the layers together, freeze them, then sculpt them. Is that true? Also, is there a pattern or guide that I can follow in sculpting this shoe?

10 replies
madgeowens Posted 27 Oct 2009 , 1:52am
post #2 of 11

You want to chill it but not freeze it, or it will be to hard to carve.....

Mike_Elder Posted 27 Oct 2009 , 2:43am
post #3 of 11

Hi there.
Don't freeze it!!! I usually stack enough cake to make a "block" big enough to carve what ever I want out of. If you can find a picture of the shoe (from the side and top) Blow them up until they are the size you want the cake to be ( I use print shop) Then use that template as a guide to get the shape and proportions right. . remember the cake supports everything else so carve it as close to the finished product as you can. I almost always fondant cover sculptures, but you don't have to. I find that it's hard to get as much detail in plain BC. Holler if you would like anymore advice?

cakesrock Posted 28 Oct 2009 , 2:25am
post #4 of 11

I always freeze before I carve - it works well for me. I feel like I have more control and it doesn't break off as easily...My fave carving knife is a small steak knife - it's not too sharp, which is good for me. I just do it slowly, a bit at a time. It thaws a bit as I go along. Sometimes I make a pattern, but not always....Have fun!

MrsMcTasha Posted 28 Oct 2009 , 6:40pm
post #5 of 11

Thanks everyone! I will start practicing. I will probably be back on to ask more questions.

Makeitmemorable Posted 29 Oct 2009 , 9:01am
post #6 of 11

I also freeze my cakes - I let them stand for about 15 minutes and then carve. Do it slowly an LESS IS MORE. You can always take off but you can't put it back on !!

Good luck,

kk77 Posted 5 Nov 2009 , 9:31am
post #7 of 11

Do you freeze if it's a torte cake too? how does the filling and cake taste after it's been frozen?

majka_ze Posted 5 Nov 2009 , 9:42am
post #8 of 11

I torte my cakes and carve them. I "dry stack" the layers - meaning without filling and carve the cake to the rough form. Then I fill and stack the cake, let it settle and put for a half an hour in the freezer when possible. After this, I fine tune the carving.

Tee-Y Posted 5 Nov 2009 , 9:56am
post #9 of 11
Originally Posted by Makeitmemorable

I also freeze my cakes - Do it slowly an LESS IS MORE. You can always take off but you can't put it back on !!

Good luck,

Ditto to that thumbs_up.gif

kk77 Posted 5 Nov 2009 , 3:34pm
post #10 of 11

majka- thanks for your response. As you can see, I am a newbie =) When you dry stack them without the filling, do you freeze each cake individually? I've never froze a cake before, so I dont know how stiff they get. If stacked frozen, after carving, is it easy to split apart to fill them?

majka_ze Posted 5 Nov 2009 , 3:45pm
post #11 of 11

I freeze the individual layers. Sometimes I wrap them together, but put a sheet of baking paper between them so they still remain separated. I take the frozen layers out of freezer, remove all the wrapping and stack the layers. Sometimes I leave the layers on the counter for 15-30 min. before stacking. I make the rough carving to get the approximate form I need. The cake layers will defrost quite quickly - from frozen to cold only. Usually before you are done and put all the filling inside, the cakes are completely defrosted but still cold. You can then crumbcoat the cake and put it away to settle.

You can freeze a cake before torting too, but I find it usually needs some defrosting before you can split it apart (even very sharp knife doesn't help). I either torte the cake before freezing, but for most of my 3D cakes I bake one layer only in a (half) sheet pan and cut the pieces from there. It bakes in half the time and I don't get usually more cut off cake then I would need anyway for cake spackle - it is useful for correcting mistakes when cutting off to much or getting even surfaces.

Quote by @%username% on %date%