Freezing A Bc Rose?

Decorating By bellabakes Updated 27 Oct 2009 , 8:58pm by kakeladi

bellabakes Posted 26 Oct 2009 , 11:25pm
post #1 of 11

Hey all, I was wondering if its possible to freeze a BC rose before you put it on a cake? I'm making a birthday cake that is going to have roses on it and I'm really bad at placing them on the cake.... I always end up tipping it over or messing up the icing or border with my scissors.... I thought about maybe making them ahead of time on wax paper and freezing them so I can just pick them up and place them but I wasn't sure if this was possible.

Has anyone done this? Would it melt/deform when it thaws on the cake?

10 replies
prterrell Posted 26 Oct 2009 , 11:33pm
post #2 of 11

Yes you can do this. Instead of moving the rose to wax paper with your scissors, cut small squares of wax paper. Attach to the rose nail with a small dot of icing. Pipe the rose on the wax paper square. Move the square to a cookie sheet. When you have all the roses piped that you want, move the cookie sheet to the freezer. Once the roses are frozen solid (about an hour or two), peel off the wax paper square and place rose on cake. Do this quickly as the heat from your hands will melt the rose quickly. The rose will defrost on the cake w/o deforming.

Texas_Rose Posted 26 Oct 2009 , 11:46pm
post #3 of 11

I do the roses that way. You can actually chill them in the fridge enough to make placing them on the cake easier, they don't have to be frozen.

PuffCake Posted 26 Oct 2009 , 11:49pm
post #4 of 11

Ditto what prterrell said. I do it exactly like she said for my box of roses cake and it helps me place the roses exactly where I want them!

CakeVision Posted 27 Oct 2009 , 12:39am
post #5 of 11

This is a great tip...I love Cake Central!

kakeladi Posted 27 Oct 2009 , 1:44am
post #6 of 11

Another option would be to make you roses from b'cream that dries.
IndyDebi says her recipe is good for this. Just make the roses the night before you need them and in the a.m. they can be handled.
OR make a batch of royal icing, then add 1/2 to 2/3rds cup of Crisco to that; beat well. You now have a great icing that is a cross between the two. It will dry up at room temp but stay edible (Not hard at all) and can be handled w/o problems.

cabecakes Posted 27 Oct 2009 , 2:22am
post #7 of 11

I don't understand. I always was under the impression that you didn't want to get grease anywhere near royal icing, as it breaks it down. Or makes it go flat. Is this incorrect.

bellabakes Posted 27 Oct 2009 , 2:30am
post #8 of 11

awesome! thanks everyone! I'll definitely freeze or chill them. At least until I get some more practice and can put them straight onto the cake like the pros! icon_biggrin.gif

indydebi Posted 27 Oct 2009 , 3:13am
post #9 of 11

With my icing recipe, I can make roses and they can be air dried enough to handle in just 2-3 hours. The last cake I made (purple ribbon with gold roses in pics), I timed the roses to see how long it took. I started making the roses at noon (Andy Griffith was on tv!) and then started icing the dummies. The whole cake was done, assembled, completely decorated and ktichen cleaned up by 3:30. All roses were air dried and I was able to pick them up by hand.

I'm a big believer in air drying. This removes the excess moisture, making the rose lighter in weight (reducing the odds of a heavy rose sliding or falling off of the cake) and there is no "HURRY AND GET IT ON THE CAKE BEFORE IT MELTS!" thing to go thru.

I will throw some roses in the freezer to solidify if I'm short one or two. But as with anything that is frozen, they will start to melt when moved to room temperature. So it depends on how your prefer to work with them. thumbs_up.gif

madgeowens Posted 27 Oct 2009 , 3:30am
post #10 of 11

I usually make mine and put them on a plate and refigerate them until I am ready to place them on the cake, and its so much easier when they stiffen up in the fridge....icon_smile.gif

kakeladi Posted 27 Oct 2009 , 8:58pm
post #11 of 11

.......don't understand. I always was under the impression that you didn't want to get grease anywhere near royal icing, as it breaks it down.........

Ah yesicon_smile.gif Most people do have problems w/it but my 'b'cream for air dried flowers' recipe works. If one were to add the royal to the shortening it would turn to soup. But for some reason unknown if you add the shortening to the royal it doesn't icon_smile.gif
That's tricky.....make sure you read it several times to see the difference.

As IndyDebi said, air drying makes the flower lighter weight with the added help of making them handle-able. I never times how long it takes. I usually made flowers ahead - like the day before I needed them.
Do NOT cover; do NOT put in frig or fzr.......just let them sit in a draft/dust free place so they can dry naturally.

Quote by @%username% on %date%