How Sturdy Does Modeling Chocolate Become?

Decorating By adven68 Updated 27 Oct 2009 , 8:55am by zdebssweetsj

adven68 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adven68 Posted 26 Oct 2009 , 10:25pm
post #1 of 5

I am making a sculpted piece for a show and want to try modeling chocolate. (The recipe I used was 16oz semisweet chocolate & 2/3 cup corn syrup)

How hard will it dry after I have modeled it? It will be room temp. for the most part.

Is there any variation in the recipe that I can use to make it super strong? This particular piece will not be eaten.

Thanks!!!

irene

4 replies
agentdorkfish Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
agentdorkfish Posted 27 Oct 2009 , 2:31am
post #2 of 5

I'm curious about this, too. So, here's a bump!

MnSnow Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MnSnow Posted 27 Oct 2009 , 3:10am
post #3 of 5

That seems like more syrup than needed. I use 1 bag of chocolate chips and 1/3 c corn syrup and it works great.

I prefer to use modeling chocolate over gumpaste. It hardens up nicely, although until it sets up, you need to be careful about heat. heat will make it softer.

adven68 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adven68 Posted 27 Oct 2009 , 7:43am
post #4 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by MnSnow

That seems like more syrup than needed. I use 1 bag of chocolate chips and 1/3 c corn syrup and it works great.

I prefer to use modeling chocolate over gumpaste. It hardens up nicely, although until it sets up, you need to be careful about heat. heat will make it softer.

thank you. I will try it with less syrup becasue it stills seems a little soft to me even after completely cooling for hours.

Will it actually harden like gumpaste?

thanks

zdebssweetsj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
zdebssweetsj Posted 27 Oct 2009 , 8:55am
post #5 of 5

It doesn't seam to get a brittle as gumpaste. Good luck with your show piece. When I make MC the next day it is so hard I can barely get it worked, I've found if I lay it on my stove top and cut the fan light on for a little while it will soften up easier.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%