Woot! Cake Boss Is On Tonight!!

Lounge By MrsNancyB1 Updated 27 Oct 2009 , 4:46pm by cylstrial

MrsNancyB1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MrsNancyB1 Posted 26 Oct 2009 , 10:04pm
post #1 of 29

I am SO excited for the return of Cake Boss. Yeah, it's over-dramatized but that's what makes it my guilty cake pleasure.

Don't forget to set your DVRs!!! icon_biggrin.gif

28 replies
grandmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grandmom Posted 26 Oct 2009 , 10:17pm
post #2 of 29

At first I just couldn't stand all the over-acting, drama, and setup scenarios. But something made me keep watching. I realized that Buddy is a real loving family man, and is The Real Deal when it comes to baking. He decorates gorgeous EDIBLE cakes, and just look at all the other beautiful patsries produced in that bakery.

I like Duff, he's ultra-cool and modern, his cakes are BIGGER, BETTER AND AWESOME, but it just seems to me that cake is a plaything for him and his ultra-cool and laid back crew. Cake is Buddy's heart and soul.

Thanks for the reminder!

Memie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Memie Posted 27 Oct 2009 , 12:58am
post #3 of 29

Five minutes of that show was all I could stand. Hated it!

montana618 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
montana618 Posted 27 Oct 2009 , 2:39am
post #4 of 29

Tonight was way too much over the top! They ruined about 6 doz cupcakes "looking" for that ring?? Buddy should put his foot down on this staged show. He's way too talented to be a chump!

NannyD Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NannyD Posted 27 Oct 2009 , 2:56am
post #5 of 29

I agree... way over the top tonight. What is with the sisters? Not enough atention last season? Change the name to Fake Boss! ---- Not that i'm being critical, but I usually look forward to and enjoy the show. icon_biggrin.gif

Rebealuvsweets Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rebealuvsweets Posted 27 Oct 2009 , 3:01am
post #6 of 29

I know it is very staged but, I love it!!! U can tell it is fake because they are always smiling when they are yelling...I think he does great work!!! Botta Bing!!!! U go Buddy icon_biggrin.gif

lchristi27 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lchristi27 Posted 27 Oct 2009 , 3:14am
post #7 of 29

All reality shows are 'staged' at some point, it has to be. But we all knew that ring was trouble when the guy brought it in!! Still loved watching the show, that ring was amazing! Really great job Buddy!

NannyD Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NannyD Posted 27 Oct 2009 , 3:16am
post #8 of 29

I really liked the red stenciled cake.

kickasscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kickasscakes Posted 27 Oct 2009 , 3:24am
post #9 of 29

ya its dramatized, but I still love it. I still learn something every time, and get a pat on the back when I see a cake simillar to what I have done in the past, and think... Hey, that looks like mine!

Would always be better without the sensationalism, but it's TV, so you gotta expect that!

madgeowens Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
madgeowens Posted 27 Oct 2009 , 3:26am
post #10 of 29

I love cake boss...............I guess its not for everyone....I think its um ....whats the word.....ummmmmmmmmm oh yeah....entertainment icon_smile.gif thats it.......I happen to love the entire family and gang....sure beats those harping Bridezillas............echhhh who marries those people yikes

MrsNancyB1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MrsNancyB1 Posted 27 Oct 2009 , 3:42am
post #11 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebea

I know it is very staged but, I love it!!! U can tell it is fake because they are always smiling when they are yelling...I think he does great work!!! Botta Bing!!!! U go Buddy icon_biggrin.gif

Ditto! But I agree that it was a *little* over the top tonight. icon_razz.gif

CbyA Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CbyA Posted 27 Oct 2009 , 3:44am
post #12 of 29

I LOVE BUDDY AND HIS CREW!!! icon_wink.gif

SugarFrosted Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarFrosted Posted 27 Oct 2009 , 3:54am
post #13 of 29

I love Buddy, and I love the cakes and the crew, but I am so over all that fake drama and trumped up emergency stuff. The drama is so fake it sounds like a high school play, maybe even Jr High. Bleh! What are those idiot producers thinking?

I'll record it and watch it, but probably with the sound off.

madgeowens Posted 27 Oct 2009 , 4:17am
post #14 of 29

I like to watch it with my grand kids and I really enjoy hearing them laugh when someone gets flour dumped on their head...its like slipping on a banana peel, never gets old haha..............lighten up and just enjoy it, its not meant to be so serious.....

ljdills Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ljdills Posted 27 Oct 2009 , 4:31am
post #15 of 29

I like to watch the show. Buddy does beautiful work. I do get a little bored with the fake drama and I think it detracts from the wonderful work that he does, but you know ratings. What do you do? I will say however that it was very predictable tonight. When the guy made such a big deal over "I am trusting you with this ring" blah, blah, blah even my 13 year old saw that coming. And when they made such a big deal over how the candy cake was the most wonderful cake they had ever done, my DH said "Well, how are they gonna destroy this one?"

But think about it... they must be doing something right, because each week (good or bad) we are all talking about the show.

madgeowens Posted 27 Oct 2009 , 4:45am
post #16 of 29

It is entertainment.....when I was a kid I use to watch Amon an Andy.........now they did a lot of crazy things that even a little kid knew was crazy...........but we all still loved it........I would think if they did not do these things it would be so boring no one would watch..........it has a little drama a little soap opera and a little comedy......whats not to like?

KKC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KKC Posted 27 Oct 2009 , 12:32pm
post #17 of 29

I watched it also and though I love Buddy...i think that it was very inappropriate to be arguing in front of customers...I'm pretty sure it was staged or whatever but thats just me!!!

KKC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KKC Posted 27 Oct 2009 , 12:35pm
post #18 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by SugarFrosted

I'll record it and watch it, but probably with the sound off.

icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 27 Oct 2009 , 12:54pm
post #19 of 29

It's fake but it's fun

Mike1394 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mike1394 Posted 27 Oct 2009 , 1:34pm
post #20 of 29

Not to many of you have worked in an old world Italian bakery before. That drama you all speak of, is a way of life. LOLOL Oh yeah the hollering the jabbing back, and forth. It's all part of being in the family. It's the ultimate high/low scenario icon_biggrin.gif Just a blast icon_biggrin.gif

I love watching Buddy IMO a million times better than duff

Mike

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 27 Oct 2009 , 1:41pm
post #21 of 29

I also love the show! But who in their right mind would give the bakery the ring? And then who would go through frosting and cake to find the ring? I mean obviously you would if it were real. LOL. But I'm pretty sure it was staged.

But to actually leave the ring on the cake in the middle of the store - where they were customers around. WHAT WERE THEY THINKING??

And when they decided to get the cousin back for dropping the big cake down the stairs - that was pretty darn funny bringing the girl in. LOL. And then the Mama boss got really mad that they dropped frosting and flour on him. I really don't know why they do that.

And the car wreck! Holy cow! The car was not looking so good!

I think that's all I have to comment about. Who knows. Maybe I'll be back. LOL!

Tracyj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tracyj Posted 27 Oct 2009 , 1:45pm
post #22 of 29

I love Buddy too! But please....decorate cake and cut out the acting. It really does take away from how wonderful he is. I love the pranks and SOME of the yelling, it shows how close they are and the attitude at the bakery. But the fake emergencies!!! I was so ready to turn it last night but he has some really good things going on between all the fakeness. Maybe I'll TiVo it so I can fast forward thru the horrible acting.

msulli10 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
msulli10 Posted 27 Oct 2009 , 1:47pm
post #23 of 29

I love Buddy. What a nice guy and oh so talented. How amazing is it that they run this very busy bakery AND make unbelieveable cakes? Yeah, the drama is a bit over the top, but it is a TV show afterall.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 27 Oct 2009 , 2:15pm
post #24 of 29

Remember there are many, many people besides us 'decorators' that watch such shows. There has to be drama or it would not draw people to it and then it would be canceled!
The accident: NO way would any cake survive such an accident. Look what happened (again staged) when Buddy hit a pothole w/the candy cake and they want us to think the red stencil cake survived the accident? NO way folks!

When 'Momma Boss" was yelling at them for the prank - she had a hard time keeping from laughing! I just happened to be looking right at her lips and you can see she had to catch herself a couple of times to keep from breaking up.

One thing that kept bothering me was that they always(?) deliver the cake when everyone is there to ooooohhhhh and aaaawwwwww over it. How many of you deliver a wedding cake 1/2 way thru the reception - when the bride & groom are sitting down at the dinner table?

All in all I liked last nights show better than last seasons. I think they tried to tone down the shouting and fighting.

jstritt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jstritt Posted 27 Oct 2009 , 2:31pm
post #25 of 29

I love this show. He is such a talented decorator. And he actually decorates cakes!!! You don't see that much any more.

sadsmile Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sadsmile Posted 27 Oct 2009 , 3:44pm
post #26 of 29

I can actually see how the candy cake's decorations fell and the red stencilled cake was OK. He really wasn't going that fast and that was just the average stacked cake with supports and it didn't have anything pulling on it.
The candy cakes decorations were on multiple sticks that were inserted into the already doweled cake. The decorations were very heavy(modeling chocolate) and the centripetal force pulling on them caused the dowels to rip through the cake. The cake didn't fall apart the decorations ripped the cake apart. Which is why he opted to leave off the lollies and things and put them on when they arrived. It also looked like the red cake was refrigerated till delivery and the candy one was worked on so much it was probably softer at room temperature.

KKristy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KKristy Posted 27 Oct 2009 , 3:59pm
post #27 of 29

I love to see the decorating and the cakes ! ...but after the episode last season when the bride came in to see her cake and told him it was ugly and proceeded to put different colored icing all over it... I was over it...so fake...
I know lots of none caking people watch the show, but it is like they are trying to dumb it down and clown it up...so fake. Although I LOVE Buddy and his family...just hate the fake drama.

I would watch Buddy and the gang decorate and argue all day long ( I have a big Italian/ Irish family, so I know drama, family LOL)...but make it real.

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 27 Oct 2009 , 4:31pm
post #28 of 29

That ring incident was right out of Lucy, when she and Ethel took the barbecue pit apart because she couldn't find her wedding ring. Really, now, the ring was in a box on the counter. Someone would have noticed if it fell into a cupcake liner.

And as far as the candy cake - I'm an amateur, and even I know enough to not put the weight of all those figures on a cake. I was sitting on my sofa, just waiting for those figures to break the cake apart.

As I have said before - Gravity Prevails.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 27 Oct 2009 , 4:46pm
post #29 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by playingwithsugar

And as far as the candy cake - I'm an amateur, and even I know enough to not put the weight of all those figures on a cake. I was sitting on my sofa, just waiting for those figures to break the cake apart.

As I have said before - Gravity Prevails.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

Yep - I forgot the cake falling apart. Gravity, gravity.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%