Using Chocolate Ganache

Decorating By KatesCakesBC Updated 26 Oct 2009 , 9:18pm by icer101

KatesCakesBC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KatesCakesBC Posted 26 Oct 2009 , 9:06pm
post #1 of 3

Hello Everyone,

I have an order for a ganache covered cake this weekend. I have used ganache before on smaller scale petit fours (sp?) and as filling. So I am used to the consistency and some other aspects of it. But have never covered a cake in it. My questions is: do you prefer to apply a layer of something first before pouring the ganache over the cake? or does it go just right onto the cake? The order requests ganache because the birthday girl hates BC and fondant - suggestions? What are your ganache tips and tricks?

Also the bottom layer is going to be a dummy cake - has anyone encountered problems using ganache on styrofoam dummy cakes? Maybe I should cover that layer in BC first and then pour ganache over the crusted BC?

Thanks - the experience on this forum has been a life saver to me many many many times in the past!

K

2 replies
Caths_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Caths_Cakes Posted 26 Oct 2009 , 9:15pm
post #2 of 3

Hiya icon_smile.gif You can use ganache as both a filling and covering. If your planning on using 'poured' Ganache, i would put something under this for a smooth finish . . More ganache, you make it so it becomes nice and thick and spreadable, use it like you would a buttercream icon_smile.gif ive done this countless times and it looks and tastes gorgeous

im sorry i dont have any advice on dummy cakes and ganache.

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 26 Oct 2009 , 9:18pm
post #3 of 3

when i have used poured ganache.... i used buttercream first.. then the poured ganache.. but using the set up ganache first sounds great.. i do believe you could cover dummy cake in butter cream. and then pour the ganache. or maybe cover the dummy in the set up ganache... hth

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%