Extruders

Decorating By cjcakie Updated 16 Dec 2013 , 3:08pm by linnod

cjcakie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cjcakie Posted 26 Oct 2009 , 8:57pm
post #1 of 31

Any suggestions or tips on purchasing/using an extruder. I am terrible at making ropes!

30 replies
ttehan4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ttehan4 Posted 26 Oct 2009 , 9:06pm
post #2 of 31

I bought a small one in the polymer clay section for about 8.00. Its okay for small projects, but I am looking into a larger one that is easier to extrude. I would love to hear some ideas.

FullHouse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FullHouse Posted 26 Oct 2009 , 9:13pm
post #3 of 31

I have a sugarcraft gun, it was $35 at CK Products (wholesale) and is really sturdy, comes with a bunch of plates including rope. Works great. I've seen it online at retail cake suppliers as well.
LL

Uniqueask Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Uniqueask Posted 26 Oct 2009 , 9:34pm
post #4 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by FullHouse

I have a gun, it was $35 at CK Products (wholesale) and is really sturdy, comes with a bunch of plates including rope. Works great. I've seen it online at retail cake suppliers as well.

Do you have a wholesale account with CK Products?. because the party store that I order from she told me $75. and she orders it from CK. I so want one of those ones, the cheapest place I saw it was from Sugarshack and hers cost a little more than yours.

I also bought one from the clay dept, online from joanne's originally $29.99 but got it for $12.95 with 50% coupon. Mine is a makin's professional extruder.

FullHouse Posted 26 Oct 2009 , 9:53pm
post #5 of 31

I do have a wholesale account, so that is what the lady from the party store would pay for it (plus shipping which is low and she would have a $125 minimum with all of her orders from them). But still, $75 seems high, I would check around, Sugarshack's sounds like it might be the best price. HTH.

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 26 Oct 2009 , 9:57pm
post #6 of 31

Here's a link that sells large ones. http://www.clay-king.com/extruderlist.htm

Uniqueask Posted 26 Oct 2009 , 10:01pm
post #7 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by FullHouse

I do have a wholesale account, so that is what the lady from the party store would pay for it (plus shipping which is low and she would have a $125 minimum with all of her orders from them). But still, $75 seems high, I would check around, Sugarshack's sounds like it might be the best price. HTH.

I know, I alone buy about $200 worth of stuff from her, CK alone and I also buy Wilton products. she gives me 5% off Wilton but says she cannot give me any of CK because she is not making money as it is already.

FullHouse Posted 26 Oct 2009 , 10:06pm
post #8 of 31

Wow, I know she has overhead and all, but still seems like a huge markup.

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 26 Oct 2009 , 10:15pm
post #9 of 31

I absolutely despise the red & black push handle extruder. I bought it several years ago for $40 and it sits in the drawer. Too little return for too much work.

I LOVE the Makins Ultimate Extruder (shiny light green metal barrel with a "T" twist handle)--nice long ropes, easy to turn & clean, and cheap. I still see it at Hobby Lobby & Joannes and you can find it online for decent prices, too.

HTH
Rae

Uniqueask Posted 26 Oct 2009 , 10:25pm
post #10 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakesCakes

I absolutely despise the red & black push handle extruder. I bought it several years ago for $40 and it sits in the drawer. Too little return for too much work.

I LOVE the Makins Ultimate Extruder (shiny light green metal barrel with a "T" twist handle)--nice long ropes, easy to turn & clean, and cheap. I still see it at Hobby Lobby & Joannes and you can find it online for decent prices, too.

HTH
Rae

That is the one I got for $12.99 with my 50% coupon from Joanne's online it came to 19.98 with shipping and tax.

peg818 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peg818 Posted 27 Oct 2009 , 12:00am
post #11 of 31

I have the makins ultimate extruder, well worth the money.

aej6 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aej6 Posted 27 Oct 2009 , 12:08am
post #12 of 31

Going to look around but...what does this thing do? What is it used with?...

sweetcravings Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetcravings Posted 27 Oct 2009 , 12:20am
post #13 of 31

I just saw on the ultimate cake challenge a competitior who made his own extruder..cool idea, this is how he described he made it.....
Buy a caulking gun at the hardware store, some pvc piping and caps for the ends of it..cut this to size of the caulking gun. Drill hole the size you need at the bottom for the rope to come out. It makes easy work of it..so he said. HTH

Peridot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Peridot Posted 27 Oct 2009 , 12:37am
post #14 of 31

I also have the green Makin one and it is great. It takes very little effort to use it and easy to clean. I would not buy the red and black one - much to hard to use.

aej6 Posted 27 Oct 2009 , 12:43am
post #15 of 31

Do you use it for fondant, buttercream...?....

pattycakesnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pattycakesnj Posted 27 Oct 2009 , 1:01am
post #16 of 31

I have the green makin one with the twist handle also and love it

Jenthecakelady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jenthecakelady Posted 27 Oct 2009 , 1:02am
post #17 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakesCakes

I just bought this one on ebay today for less than $10. Can't wait to get it!

Uniqueask Posted 27 Oct 2009 , 1:19am
post #18 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by aej6

Do you use it for fondant, buttercream...?....

It is used with fondant or gumpaste, to make pistils for flowers, hiar for Fondant characters, rope borders for cakes etc.

aej6 Posted 27 Oct 2009 , 1:24am
post #19 of 31

Thank you Uniqueask!

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 27 Oct 2009 , 1:42am
post #20 of 31

I have the Makins Ultimate Extruder. It's green with the twist. It's great!

sweetcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetcakes Posted 27 Oct 2009 , 3:47am
post #21 of 31

the makins extruder has probably a 50% bigger barrel too so you can put alot more fondant in it to make longer strings. its not hard to turn either. the red and black one is ok for small amounts. I ordered mine from a UK company and even with postage and the currency exchange it was cheaper. i had it in less then a week. they take paypal. You generally have to knead in extra shortening to soften the fondant or GP up to get it to come out of any of them.

emlashlee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emlashlee Posted 27 Oct 2009 , 6:11am
post #22 of 31

Another vote for the green Makins extruder. Just a tip though...don't forget that you hadn't really cleaned it like you thought you did, put it away, pull it out a week later and think that fondant is ever coming out of there again. Just a tip... icon_biggrin.gif

zdebssweetsj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
zdebssweetsj Posted 27 Oct 2009 , 9:02am
post #23 of 31

You can get the clay gun at Hobby Lobby they carry two different types the one I love the best is the green one. I've also heard of some people using their cookie dough extruders, haven't tried it yet. At Hobby Lobby you can also use your 40% off coupon on it.

Melnick Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melnick Posted 27 Oct 2009 , 9:37am
post #24 of 31

Is the Makin's one easy to use? My sister bought a clay extruder but I cannot push the fondant through. Even her husband (who is rather strong) couldn't squeeze it through. Before I spend good money on one, I'd just like to know how physically hard it is to use. Thanks!

ApplegumKitchen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ApplegumKitchen Posted 27 Oct 2009 , 9:55am
post #25 of 31

Hi Mel icon_biggrin.gif

This has been discussed on the Planet Cake forum as well

Lots of info on this comparison article

http://www.cakesandmore.org/blog/2009/03/the-difference-between-sugarcraft-guns-aka-clay-guns/

zdebssweetsj Posted 27 Oct 2009 , 10:14am
post #26 of 31

I always knead in some crisco with the fondant a little trial and error you'll find just the right consistancy

gingersoave Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gingersoave Posted 27 Oct 2009 , 10:14am
post #27 of 31

I have the Makins green "plastic" one, I LOVE IT! I can put the extruder in the microwave and heat up the fondant so that it squeezes out so easy! It's only $4.00, I got mine at Michaels but they no longer sell them. AC Moore does not sell them either but you can go online and get them as low as $3. I have the green metal one that screws and I also have the $50 from the cake supply store that is also metal. I just like to be able to use the gumpaste in the extruder and put the whole thing in the microwave and heat it up for 6 seconds and it comes thru and my hand doesnt hurt.

ginger
ps. here's a link to one I found online.http://prairiecraft.com/kato/MK/M35004.html#

zdebssweetsj Posted 27 Oct 2009 , 10:23am
post #28 of 31

Excellent idea

Melnick Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melnick Posted 27 Oct 2009 , 1:13pm
post #29 of 31

Thanks Applegum! That was the information I was after! icon_smile.gif

ApplegumKitchen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ApplegumKitchen Posted 27 Oct 2009 , 7:02pm
post #30 of 31
Quote: