Painting Entire Fondant Covered Cake?

Decorating By MariaLovesCakes Updated 3 Nov 2009 , 1:03am by ailika

MariaLovesCakes Posted 26 Oct 2009 , 8:07pm
post #1 of 27

Hello!!

I've seen on TV how some fondant covered cakes are "painted" with a big brush, covering the entire fondant surface, instead of adding color first and then kneading the fondant until you obtained the desired color.

My question is: is gel paste used here? I guess it is diluted somehow? With what if so?

Thanks a bunch!

I was considering doing this because I have to color fondant a deep blue and would hate to have to be adding color, then kneading, then adding more color, until I get it dark enough.

icon_razz.gif

26 replies
korensmommy Posted 26 Oct 2009 , 8:16pm
post #2 of 27

I know my SIL paints the entire surface of her fondant cakes sometimes, you can ask her. Her username is: KimberlyBordeaux or KimBordeaux

metria Posted 26 Oct 2009 , 8:18pm
post #3 of 27

I've painted fondant with a combination of gel food coloring and gin with a regular craft paintbrush. One of the problems I had was not waiting for a layer of "paint" to dry before adding another layer. That caused the previous layer to get "pulled" up and you could see the fondant through it again. With this method you'll still see brush strokes, so don't expect completely even colors.

I don't have an airbrush but I believe that to be the best way for painting. If I were you, I'd go ahead and just knead in the color. Less things go wrong that way.

KHalstead Posted 26 Oct 2009 , 8:33pm
post #4 of 27

airbrush color works really well too, gives the cake a shiny appearance (which is cool if that's the look you're going for), otherwise I think you'd be better off airbrushing it. I do paint on fondant with good results using americolor gels straight up, but you will get streaking if you paint with a brush regardless of what you do.

ttehan4 Posted 26 Oct 2009 , 8:37pm
post #5 of 27

Adding a lot of coloring to your fondant will change the texture and make it very difficult to cover your cake with. I know I had this happen to me last week with red. It was a nightmare. I color on fondant with gel coloring and vanilla extract. The vanilla drys the same way vodka or other liquors do and it smells extra yummy. If your not worried about brush strokes I would paint instead of knead.

There is a picture of a tree branch cake that I painted with wilton brown and vanilla in my photos.

MariaLovesCakes Posted 26 Oct 2009 , 11:23pm
post #6 of 27

THank you for all the advise. I guess I will do a test on some fondant with coloring with the gel paste and see how it looks.

I am doing a Super Mario Galaxy cake so I need the deep blue. I guess I am not that concerned for a perfectly even color since it is a galaxy and it has different tones of light and deep blue...

Again thank you so much for sharing all your tips!! thumbs_up.gif

cabecakes Posted 26 Oct 2009 , 11:32pm
post #7 of 27

If you don't want to add color to your fondant, you could always use Wilton's Spray color. I used it for the Sky and Ocean cake in my photos. It was the first time I had ever used it, and I liked the results. A couple of pieces of advice though, if you want to try this method. 1)cover work surface with newspaper and create a "canopy" around the cake, so as to avoid overspray getting everywhere, or spray it outside. and 2) spray with the can away from cake to avoid overspray that will run down your cake. These were a couple problem areas for me (another one of those trial and error things you hear about on here all the time LOL). Other than that, I really liked the look I got.

Texas_Rose Posted 26 Oct 2009 , 11:40pm
post #8 of 27

I've painted with gel colors mixed with vodka, with a soft basting brush (think BBQ). As long as the brush is full of color, you don't get streaks.

Are you making your own fondant? Could you add the blue coloring before the powdered sugar? That works best for me when I need a dark color.

DianeLM Posted 26 Oct 2009 , 11:58pm
post #9 of 27

I strongly recommend mixing your gel colors with clear alcohol to help them dry faster. Otherwise, they'll stay sticky FOREVER.

Mike_Elder Posted 27 Oct 2009 , 2:51am
post #10 of 27

Hi!! I'd say it depends on the finish you want! The problem with brush painting is it gets the fondant wet, no mater if you use gel or airbrush color. This makes the fondant look streaky, and if it starts to soften and if you go over an are as you paint it may "pull" and you'll see the white below. If you want a nice even color then you'd better mix it in or atleast airbrush it! Brushing works fine if you want that look, for example a wooden look... otherwise ... I don't ever do it to cover a large area, plus food color isn't paint! it doesn't ever go on even enough to please me when using a brush
Mike

Mike_Elder Posted 27 Oct 2009 , 2:54am
post #11 of 27

Hi!! I'd say it depends on the finish you want! The problem with brush painting is it gets the fondant wet, no mater if you use gel or airbrush color. This makes the fondant look streaky, and if it starts to soften and if you go over an are as you paint it may "pull" and you'll see the white below. If you want a nice even color then you'd better mix it in or atleast airbrush it! Brushing works fine if you want that look, for example a wooden look... otherwise ... I don't ever do it to cover a large area, plus food color isn't paint! it doesn't ever go on even enough to please me when using a brush
Mike

MariaLovesCakes Posted 27 Oct 2009 , 11:35am
post #12 of 27

Thanks, everyone!!

No, I am using store bought fondant so I can add the color while I am mixing it.

What I will do for now is add the color and knead for now and go as dark as I can. I've seen on TV than a girls was adding lots of color and the fondant was getting sticky. One of the judges was saying that when this happens what she needs to do is add more powdered sugar to keep it from getting too soft and sticky. So I will keep it handy.

Thank you for the advise. I will definitely try the painting technique though in the near future. I was always wondering what type of coloring they were using.

Oh, and I would love to airbrush the cake, but I don' have one. icon_sad.gif

MariaLovesCakes Posted 27 Oct 2009 , 2:04pm
post #13 of 27

Well, ladies!! I have to stay that covering a round ball is no fun!! I couldn't do it!!!

I cover one half of it, then turned it and covered the other half!! What a nightmare!!

Someone needs to do a tutorial on how to cover a complete round sphere!!

Yikes!!

metria Posted 27 Oct 2009 , 2:09pm
post #14 of 27

sounds like it needs to be stuck on a skewer? i liked the wilton spray idea.

MariaLovesCakes Posted 27 Oct 2009 , 5:26pm
post #15 of 27

metria: even in the skewer may have been difficult. Is as you try to tuck in the bottom part that gets a little hairy because you are going from wide to narrow.

Well, ladies, here's a few pics. These are just the characters.

Princess Peach doesn't look "exactly" like her but you get the idea!! icon_biggrin.gif

My little 5 yr old said that she looks "perfect" so that's what counts!! icon_biggrin.gif
LL
LL

Texas_Rose Posted 27 Oct 2009 , 5:29pm
post #16 of 27

Maria, those are just absolutely too cute for words!!! I can't wait to see the whole thing.

I've never covered a sphere but sometimes when I have a tricky shape to do, it helps to cover it twice.

metria Posted 27 Oct 2009 , 5:41pm
post #17 of 27

oooh I see what you mean, I misunderstood the first time. I found this:

http://whatscookingamerica.net/PegW/CoveringFondantQA.htm

The 4th question is about covering a ball with fondant.

deliciously_decadent Posted 28 Oct 2009 , 8:06am
post #18 of 27

i paint my cakes all the time, i use powdered food dye mixed with vodka for painting pictures and details etc, if i am wanting metalics i mix lustres wuth decorators alcohol/pure alcohol, i use a large pastry brush and a turntable to make life easier two coats is best, for detailed paintwork thin small brishes obviously icon_smile.gif i have many cakes in my strem, there is a two tiered purple with white piprd filigree and white rose toppers, that was origionaly white fondant, my peacock cake is handpainted so are several others icon_smile.gif its my fave way to decorate!!

annabanana183 Posted 28 Oct 2009 , 5:08pm
post #19 of 27

Hi everyone,
Is there any other way to paint with luster dust without using Alcohol.
I know some one said they mix powder paint with vanilla, can I do that for luster too.
Thanks a bunch

deliciously_decadent Posted 28 Oct 2009 , 9:10pm
post #20 of 27

just so you know you shouldn't be concerened using alcohol!!! have you checked the labels of your essences lately??? some actually contain more alcohol than vodka (my lemon extract is 35% alcohol and vanilla is 14%!!) and we use them everyday!! alot of people don't realise this fact and are concerned when using alcohol, but don't be it evaporates out of the lustre and colour and the higher pure alchol evaporates completely!! and really quickly to so no stickiness on the cake etc

annabanana183 Posted 29 Oct 2009 , 4:18pm
post #21 of 27

thx deliciously_decadent ur right I have never even though of that... but now I have a follow up question for you, since I don't drink and I dont know anyone who does either so I am completely clueless here, can I just use any vodka or is there a specific one that you use.
thanks a lot.. icon_confused.gif

MariaLovesCakes Posted 29 Oct 2009 , 5:17pm
post #22 of 27

Thank you so much, everyone!!

annia: When I paint with luster dust, I use clear vanilla extract. I works GREAT!

deliciously-decadent: can you explain the powered food dye a little more? Sounds really interesting? I need to look at your work.

Metria; Thanks. I need to check the link! Thanks a bunch.

Texas Rose: thank you so much. I especially like Mario!! He is such a cutie! I wanted them to look cute! Although they are much bigger than the planet and wanted them to really be the center of attention since they are the main characters. I wanted to make them a bit smaller, but oh, well. They are still cute.

I am going to place in on the cake board, Mario resting his back on the cake and Princess Peach standing on the other end.

I just finished baking the cake where I will place the planet and stars etc.

Here's a pic of the planet. I think it came out pretty cool.

The square stone looking things are actually the ground the way it looks after a mole has dug up underground in his pursuit of Mario.

For those who have played the game, this world may make more sense.

Here you go...
LL
LL

deliciously_decadent Posted 29 Oct 2009 , 8:47pm
post #23 of 27

no problem guys! yes any vodka is fine icon_smile.gif i am a vodka drinker and have the cheapest stuff for the cakes and the good stuff for me loL!!!
powderd food dye is just that, ffod dye that comes in powder form instead of a gel/paste. it is the 'older' style of dyes what was used prior to wilton bringing out the pastes, i actually prefer it to the pastes, and works out alot cheaper to (well from my supplier it does lol)
this is the link to my supplier
http://www.earlcraftncake.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=88_3&zenid=d891ddbe71b7c135d29541c75e2ff4f2
i dont actually use pastes at all except i do use the iviry for tiniting my gumpaste for bride and groom toppers icon_smile.gif

cabecakes Posted 29 Oct 2009 , 11:10pm
post #24 of 27

With the wilton spray colors you don't need an airbrush sprayer. It comes in a spray can like hair spray. You just spray it on the cake. You can also use it with stencils, just watch your overspray.

MariaLovesCakes Posted 3 Nov 2009 , 12:48am
post #25 of 27

Hello, guys!! As promised, here is the finished cake. I kneaded the color into the fondant. Next time I will try the spray and see how it works.

Thanks for all the advice and tips!!
LL
LL

ailika Posted 3 Nov 2009 , 1:02am
post #26 of 27

I was looking at this video on youtube & this guy paints his fondant with water & wilton's food coloring. Here is the link so you can see what it looks like.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DlbodnPtlnU&feature=related

ailika Posted 3 Nov 2009 , 1:03am
post #27 of 27

MariaLovesCakes your Mario cake is so cute

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%