How To Make Stiff Imbc?

Decorating By metria Updated 27 Oct 2009 , 5:55pm by xiswtsawluiix

metria Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
metria Posted 26 Oct 2009 , 8:01pm
post #1 of 14

I'm using IMBC for the first time. Can it be made stiffer for piping techniques that call for "stiff consistency"? How do you do that? Can IMBC do all the things American buttercream can do?

13 replies
prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 26 Oct 2009 , 9:08pm
post #2 of 14

IMBC doesn't need to be made stiff in order to pipe things such as roses. That's one of the reasons I love it, it works great for all applications without having to adjust it.

PinkLisa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PinkLisa Posted 26 Oct 2009 , 9:15pm
post #3 of 14

I just made the cupcake bouquet roses in my photos with SMBC. I was a bit nervous that it may be too thin so I popped it in the frig for five minutes to firm it up. The roses came out great.

xiswtsawluiix Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
xiswtsawluiix Posted 26 Oct 2009 , 9:23pm
post #4 of 14

I don't know why, EVERYTIME I use IMBC to frost a cake, it slides off the sides. Even if I freeze it and then put on the fondant quickly, the buttercream eventually sags inside and causes bulges between the fondant and cake. It is very frustrating that I can't even frost a cake properly, yet alone give it a clean look! HELP! I need suggestions. Oh, this is the exact same problem I have with cream cheese frosting as well. I keep getting a soupy consistency. Am I using the wrong recipe or am I just not good with this?

PinkLisa Posted 26 Oct 2009 , 9:28pm
post #5 of 14

xiswtsawluiix -- I have only made SMBC but would try a different recipe. I tried several SMBC recipes and some were soupy also.

metria Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
metria Posted 26 Oct 2009 , 9:40pm
post #6 of 14

I had made my IMBC on Friday. When I took it out of the refrigerator last night, it looked a little clumpy and had some crystals. I said, eh, because I was just using it for crumb coat. After crumb coating it, I rewhipped the remaining IMBC back into a nice stabilized state (meanwhile the cake was firming up in the refrigerator). When I went to put the stabilized IMBC on the cake, the crumbcoat started sliding off! I'm concluding that it's really important to maintain that stabilized state, no matter what you're doing! All it took was a couple minutes on high in my KA.

ladyonzlake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ladyonzlake Posted 26 Oct 2009 , 9:41pm
post #7 of 14

Maybe you're not using enough butter or maybe you are adding the butter before the meringue is cool enough? IMBC is soft but it's very workable.

brincess_b Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brincess_b Posted 26 Oct 2009 , 9:52pm
post #8 of 14

xiswtsawluiix - putting something in the fridge/ freezer will firm it up. take it back to room temp, and it will go back to what it was before you chilled it - in this case, runny.
try different recipes, try better ingredients, different methods - it may be imbc isnt your thing!
also, cream cheese bc doesnt always work well with fondant, a lot of people get problems - but some recipes are better than others.
you mention bulges, is it the crumb coat, or filling coming out?
xx

PinkLisa Posted 26 Oct 2009 , 9:56pm
post #9 of 14

I used cream cheese icing under fondant and had no problems. Find the right recipe.

Mike1394 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mike1394 Posted 26 Oct 2009 , 9:59pm
post #10 of 14

Most issues that arise with IMBC is overwhipping the egg whites. Take no more than medium peak. If they are taken any further there is a chance that they are over worked, and will break down. You what the merangue at less than 90 before adding the butter.

Mike

xiswtsawluiix Posted 27 Oct 2009 , 3:47am
post #11 of 14

Thanks for the great tips everyone. I will give one more stab at IMBC and try adding the butter after the egg white and sugar cools down some more. I normally add the butter when the bowl gets to room temperature while the KA is beating the egg whites and sugar.

IMBC tastes soo much better than American BC made with Crisco shortening. At least in my opinion.

Does anyone have any good BC and cream cheese BC recipes that have been tried and true to them?

I would love to make a cake or two with those recipes before I admit defeat. It is so frustrating to make a yummy and moist cake and you think adding the BC would make it taste and look even better. Alas, it only looks worse and makes me not want to eat it anymore. I normally end up throwing the cake away and I feel so bad. icon_cry.gif

Also, what is the difference between IMBC and SMBC?

prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 27 Oct 2009 , 5:11am
post #12 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by xiswtsawluiix

The preparation of the meringue. In SMBC the meringue is made by cooking the egg whites and sugar together in a bain marie and then whipping. Some who have had trouble making IMBC find making SMBC easier.

As for cream cheese frosting:

1 cup butter, room temp
8 oz cream cheese, room temp
2 tablespoons sour cream
8 cups (2 lbs) powdered sugar, sifted

Beat butter, cream cheese, and sour cream together until fully incorporated and creamy. Add the powdered sugar 1 cup at a time.

Yes, this does come out softer and "goopier" than American buttercream, but it shouldn't be liquidy. It can be difficult to get a perfectly smooth finish using ANY cream cheese frosting recipe. I find that this is the combo that tastes the best. What I do is use it for filling and for "homestyle" frosted cakes. If I need a perfect outer frosting for decorating, I just fill with the cream cheese icing and frost the outside with BC. One of these days I'll get around to ordering the Lorann cheesecake flavoring and I'll try that in BC. I suspect that it would work with the cream cheese filled cakes.

PinkLisa Posted 27 Oct 2009 , 12:10pm
post #13 of 14

I use Martha Stewarts SMBC recipe and it comes out great every time.

xiswtsawluiix Posted 27 Oct 2009 , 5:55pm
post #14 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by prterrell

Quote:
Originally Posted by xiswtsawluiix

The preparation of the meringue. In SMBC the meringue is made by cooking the egg whites and sugar together in a bain marie and then whipping. Some who have had trouble making IMBC find making SMBC easier.

As for cream cheese frosting:

1 cup butter, room temp
8 oz cream cheese, room temp
2 tablespoons sour cream
8 cups (2 lbs) powdered sugar, sifted

Beat butter, cream cheese, and sour cream together until fully incorporated and creamy. Add the powdered sugar 1 cup at a time.

Yes, this does come out softer and "goopier" than American buttercream, but it shouldn't be liquidy. It can be difficult to get a perfectly smooth finish using ANY cream cheese frosting recipe. I find that this is the combo that tastes the best. What I do is use it for filling and for "homestyle" frosted cakes. If I need a perfect outer frosting for decorating, I just fill with the cream cheese icing and frost the outside with BC. One of these days I'll get around to ordering the Lorann cheesecake flavoring and I'll try that in BC. I suspect that it would work with the cream cheese filled cakes.

Prterrell you are fantabulous! I will try your recipe and let you know how it goes.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%