Can't Figure Out How To Make Tiara Stand

Decorating By MammaG Updated 30 Aug 2010 , 6:53pm by sweetcakes

MammaG Posted 26 Oct 2009 , 7:52pm
post #1 of 10

I see all these pictures of tiaras standing using royal icing. How do you do that? I did a practice run on wax paper just to see if I could do it. how would I do the real thing and make it sit on top of a cake?

9 replies
DianeLM Posted 26 Oct 2009 , 7:58pm
post #2 of 10

You need to attach your template and plastic wrap (not wax paper) to a straight bottle. Don't use a bottle that flares at the bottom because when the tiara is dry, you'll need to slide it down off the bottle.

MammaG Posted 26 Oct 2009 , 8:02pm
post #3 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by DianeLM

You need to attach your template and plastic wrap (not wax paper) to a straight bottle. Don't use a bottle that flares at the bottom because when the tiara is dry, you'll need to slide it down off the bottle.

Thank you. I didn't use a template. I just did it free hand, but I can try that next time So will it come off of seran easily? How long should I wait? Thank you so much!

susanscakecreations Posted 26 Oct 2009 , 8:16pm
post #4 of 10

DO NOT use royal icing for tiaras..............too easily broken icon_cry.gif ..........(trust me, I know!!!!)
Use gumpaste or 50/50 gumpaste and fondant.........much easier!!!!!!

AngelFood4 Posted 26 Oct 2009 , 8:18pm
post #5 of 10

Here's a tutorial I used: http://cakecentral.com/articles/129/how-to-make-a-royal-icing-tiara

I made mine out of gumpaste instead but I used the same prepping technique. Good luck!

Loucinda Posted 26 Oct 2009 , 8:37pm
post #6 of 10

I make mine only out of gumpaste now. Much stronger! I tape the wax paper to a small oatmeal container over the template. When it is dry, I just remove the tape, and the tiara just slides off the oatmeal container - no problem!

Here is one of mine:
http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1433526

AngelFood4 Posted 26 Oct 2009 , 8:46pm
post #7 of 10

Loucinda, you're tiara was my inspiration! Love it! Yes, using the gumpaste was much easier than the RI and so much stronger and sturdier.

MammaG Posted 27 Oct 2009 , 2:36am
post #8 of 10

Thanks ladies. I can't wait to try it again!

MessMaker Posted 30 Aug 2010 , 6:30pm
post #9 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by DianeLM

I used wax paper on mine worked just fine.

sweetcakes Posted 30 Aug 2010 , 6:53pm
post #10 of 10

i like to use a container that has a slight flare to it, the 2lb tub that satin ice comes in is just the right size. I draw my pattern directly on the tub and cover either with plastic wrap or wax paper both work, make sure it is smoothly laid down. Then i use RI, going over it about 3 times, yes it is fragile, i generally make 2 just in case. when it is dry and still on the container i will airbrush it silver. then release the paper and slice off towards the tapered end of the container.

I have also cut out tiaras using the cricut and laid over the same tub.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%