Egg Free Cake

Baking By Wesha Updated 27 Oct 2009 , 11:13am by leahk

Wesha Posted 26 Oct 2009 , 6:47pm
post #1 of 8

Hi Guys,

Have you ever made a cake without eggs? I have this request for this weekend. I told her I would get back with her. My mom said that her great aunt used to make cakes without eggs by using applesauce instead. I appreciate the feedback.

thanks

7 replies
leahk Posted 26 Oct 2009 , 6:55pm
post #2 of 8

What flavor? I have a great eggless chocolate cake.

rainbow_kisses Posted 26 Oct 2009 , 6:57pm
post #3 of 8

I also have a vegan chocolate cake recipe so that is egg free. i find any other flavour tastes really bland.

Wesha Posted 26 Oct 2009 , 7:08pm
post #4 of 8

I don't know yet. Can you post your chocolate receipes. If you have vanilla or yellow, can you post those too?

thanks

DessertLover Posted 26 Oct 2009 , 7:32pm
post #5 of 8

There's a egg free substitute that's sold in most grocery store's organic/soy area. I can't recall the name but it takes the place of the eggs in recipes.

TitiaM Posted 26 Oct 2009 , 7:38pm
post #6 of 8

Really, it depends on your recipe, I have had good luck with the flax seed. Applesauce or banana works ok if its a recipe that holds together well and goes with those flavors. There is a commercial egg replacer, but if your recipe has a lot of eggs you can probably taste it--its not terribly tasty.

Egg replacers:

2 1/2 TBL. ground flaxseed plus 3 TBL. water. Beat together before adding to recipe (equals 1 egg)

1/2 a mashed banana in place of 1 egg.

aquamom Posted 26 Oct 2009 , 7:50pm
post #7 of 8

Hi,

You can google "Wacky Cake" for additional choc cake recipes. It's from the depression era when ingredients were a bit hard to come by. It's a recipe that's come back as it is vegan. Good luck.

leahk Posted 27 Oct 2009 , 11:13am
post #8 of 8

here's teh recipe:
eggless choc fudge cake:

3 c flour
2 c sugar
6 tbsp cocoa
1 tsp salt
2 tsp vanilla
3/4 c oil
1 tbsp vinegar
2 tsp baking soda
2 cups warm water

sift dry ingredients together. mix in the wet and beat until smooth (i do this with a wisk). bake in a 9X12 pan at 350 for 30-40 min.

when my mom made this, she would mix everything except the baking soda and vinegar. she'd then put in the baking soda and pour the vinegar directly on it so we could watch is bubble. we dubbed this the "volcano cake" (after that she mixed it in)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%