I've Been Asked To Take Part In A Tv Show!!

Decorating By CakeWhizz Updated 17 Jun 2010 , 10:49am by CakeWhizz

CakeWhizz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeWhizz Posted 26 Oct 2009 , 5:20pm
post #1 of 95

Hi fellow CCers,

I've been asked to take part in a TV show which will air next year. I'll be competing with some 'big names' and I am so scaared!!. I will appreciate any advice/tips from you.

As you can imagine, I am very pleased especially as I've been having a bit of a rough time. Thanks for all your help and please send positive thoughts my way.

94 replies
tatorchip Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tatorchip Posted 26 Oct 2009 , 5:35pm
post #2 of 95

Well you already have the talent down so the only thing I can offer is best wishs your way and relax and have a ball. You could also get with Sugarshack and Rebecca and others that just did a t.v. show and congratulations glad for you

Kims_cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kims_cakes Posted 26 Oct 2009 , 5:57pm
post #3 of 95

I don't have advice, but a huge congratulations thumbs_up.gif for you! That is very exciting. I'm sure you will let us know when it airs. Best of luck!

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 26 Oct 2009 , 6:02pm
post #4 of 95

Good luck! I'm both jealous and happy for ya! thumbs_up.gif

sweetjan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetjan Posted 26 Oct 2009 , 6:06pm
post #5 of 95

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Well deserved, and oh my goodness.....CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!!!
That has to be good for your business! And how are you sleeping at night? The excitement must be overwhelming!
And did I say CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!! ?????

Keep us posted: when do you do the (?assuming?) competition? where do you do it?

CakeWhizz Posted 26 Oct 2009 , 6:11pm
post #6 of 95

Thanks so much ladies! The news is just sinking in, so I'm still at the worried/anxious stage at the moment.
The show will be over here in England and it's called 'The Great British Bake Off' (or there abouts) and it's by Wedding TV. The British public are kind of new to this, so any help will be appreciated. I'm worried about looking stupid especially as I'm up against some really great talent.

linzylu Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
linzylu Posted 26 Oct 2009 , 6:16pm
post #7 of 95

I think this is my first time posting on the forum.....CONGRATULATIONS!!!! How exciting!!!

Heidi

RachieRach Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RachieRach Posted 26 Oct 2009 , 6:19pm
post #8 of 95

Congratulations!!! I don't have ANY experience but as an ardent viewer of cake competitions, I say - Do what you know. Don't worry about the competition. You were picked for your talent and even if you don't win, you are sure to get TONS of business!

cownsj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cownsj Posted 26 Oct 2009 , 6:26pm
post #9 of 95

WOW, that is absolutely FANTASTIC! Congratulations! And yes, I agree with others, if you were asked to be there, then they clearly see your talent already.

The only thing I could think of would be to put yourself through time tests and practice that, if it's a show where you have to do the cake within a certain amount of time. That might help you when that pressure comes. Maybe even have family/friends around you, add some extra pressure when you do a time test for yourself. That would hopefully help you get those nerves under control.

MissSassyBuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MissSassyBuns Posted 26 Oct 2009 , 6:48pm
post #10 of 95

I just wanted to add to the good cheer and say Congrats! That's very exciting! icon_biggrin.gif

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 26 Oct 2009 , 6:50pm
post #11 of 95

I agree with cownsj - it's time to start timing yourself. Do you know what the theme will be, and whether you have free-reign on design?

Good Luck!

Theresa icon_smile.gif

Cristi-Tutty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cristi-Tutty Posted 26 Oct 2009 , 6:54pm
post #12 of 95

I agree with cownsj and the only thing that I can say is to watch the shows so you can see their mistakes so that way it will not happen to you....

Congratulations!! I am so happy for you, please let us know when the show will be air...

CakeWhizz Posted 26 Oct 2009 , 7:01pm
post #13 of 95

Thanks for the great suggestion cownsj. I think we will be given a brief and then we go away to design and make the cake. I don't think it would be a full blown 'making the cake in front of a crowd affair' (remember this is the UK!). It will be interesting to get the brief and once I know what it is, I might ask you ladies for more suggestions. In the meantime, please do keep the advice and well wishes coming.

G_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
G_Cakes Posted 26 Oct 2009 , 7:45pm
post #14 of 95

Congrats Cakewhizz.

never competed before and I only do cakes for family and friends but the only thing that came to mind was to relax and enjoy yourself and the exoperience.

I am sure you will do great!

prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 26 Oct 2009 , 7:48pm
post #15 of 95

Congrats and best of luck!

online_annie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
online_annie Posted 26 Oct 2009 , 8:00pm
post #16 of 95

icon_biggrin.gif How absolutley fantastic!! I couldn't be more happy for you! I sure hope we will be able to view it in the US. Time to get out the stop watch and brush up and the newest techniques! I hope you take the whole cake and kaboodle!

KSMill Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KSMill Posted 26 Oct 2009 , 8:22pm
post #17 of 95

Congratulations! That's great news! I understand why you're nervous but you definitely have the talent. Good luck.

cownsj Posted 26 Oct 2009 , 8:35pm
post #18 of 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by CakeWhizz

Thanks for the great suggestion cownsj. I think we will be given a brief and then we go away to design and make the cake. I don't think it would be a full blown 'making the cake in front of a crowd affair' (remember this is the UK!). It will be interesting to get the brief and once I know what it is, I might ask you ladies for more suggestions. In the meantime, please do keep the advice and well wishes coming.

The main reason I was thinking to have family/friends there for at least one of your time tests is that even if there isn't an audience, you'll have tv camera's, judges, other contestants, etc. all around you. So just having other people around who are watching you and adding that extra bit of pressure might help. Even have them ask you a question here and there so you know you can participate in that part and still keep your focus on the cake you're working on. Just a thought....

CakeWhizz Posted 26 Oct 2009 , 8:59pm
post #19 of 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by cownsj

Quote:
Originally Posted by CakeWhizz

The main reason I was thinking to have family/friends there for at least one of your time tests is that even if there isn't an audience, you'll have tv camera's, judges, other contestants, etc. all around you. So just having other people around who are watching you and adding that extra bit of pressure might help. Even have them ask you a question here and there so you know you can participate in that part and still keep your focus on the cake you're working on. Just a thought....

Thanks! You are quite right. I will organise a gathering of family and friends, who I know won't mince their words!

cownsj Posted 26 Oct 2009 , 9:04pm
post #20 of 95

Glad I had an idea to help. I am just so excited for you.

floral1210 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
floral1210 Posted 26 Oct 2009 , 9:05pm
post #21 of 95

You've been invited for a reason! From your photos, it is obvious that your work is phenomenal, and that no matter the outcome, I am sure your project will be exquisite!! Cheers to you!

cownsj Posted 26 Oct 2009 , 9:06pm
post #22 of 95

Oh, you do realize we all want to know where we can see this after it happens! ! ! ! ! !

Sugarflowers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sugarflowers Posted 26 Oct 2009 , 10:23pm
post #23 of 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitagrl

Good luck! I'm both jealous and happy for ya! thumbs_up.gif

DITTO!!

Michele

CakeWhizz Posted 20 Nov 2009 , 11:58am
post #24 of 95

I got the brief for the three wedding cakes for the show today. One will be an african animal themed wedding cake, the second is for a shoe addict and the third is a glamour cake in white, black, silver and pink (she also likes lambs, unicorns and will be taken to the wedding in a cinderella carriage). Thoughts and ideas will be most welcome please!

Memie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Memie Posted 20 Nov 2009 , 12:35pm
post #25 of 95

I don't have any ideas for you cause I don't seem to have a creative muse. But CONGRATULATIONS and GOOD LUCK!!!!! How exciting for you!

all4cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
all4cake Posted 20 Nov 2009 , 1:18pm
post #26 of 95

Best of luck to you!

CakeWhizz Posted 20 Nov 2009 , 1:28pm
post #27 of 95

Thanks ladies. Will let you know how I get on in due course.

cownsj Posted 20 Nov 2009 , 2:49pm
post #28 of 95

Do you get to choose which of the 3 cake ideas to go with or do you have to be prepared for all 3?

LaBellaFlor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaBellaFlor Posted 20 Nov 2009 , 3:23pm
post #29 of 95

First, CONGRATULATIONS! party.gif Second, if your competition is so amazing, you must be too, since the show asked you as well as them. Third, as nervous and concerned about looking silly as you are, your competition is more then likely thinking and feeling the same way. Good Luck and let us know how you do!

CakeWhizz Posted 20 Nov 2009 , 3:44pm
post #30 of 95

Thanks La Bella Flor.

Cownsj, I have to present a cake for all three and wait for this, the reveal is in two weeks! I already have some ideas which I will work on over the weekend (I can't think straight at the moment) so watch this space.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%