Mexican Modelling Paste - Models

Decorating By Meg147 Updated 26 Oct 2009 , 10:52pm by caseyhayes

Meg147 Posted 26 Oct 2009 , 4:31pm
post #1 of 4

Hi, the plan was to make several models in advance for a large cake; I've made them using MMP, however they have gone v. hard - is this ok? Well I say I've made them, I mean I've made their heads! I didnt intend to make the whole figure anyway, but just head, shoulders and maybe an arm. I'm worried now that if I make the rest of their 'bodies' the heads wont attach. I had planned on inserting a cocktail stick/candy stick to insert them where I need them on the cake - but will the weight of the figure, pull through the cake (imagine them on the side of the cake) - do i need to do more to support them? Fairly new at cakes & certainly my first time using MMP, and still a lot of learning to get through, I'm sure. Any advice would be most appreciated xx icon_confused.gif

3 replies
caseyhayes Posted 26 Oct 2009 , 4:44pm
post #2 of 4

Good questions... I'd kind of like to know some of the support questions myself. Bump. Bump.

brincess_b Posted 26 Oct 2009 , 9:42pm
post #3 of 4

mexican paste, similar to gumpaste (i think, lol!), is supposed to dry really hard.
you need to think about joining the body bits together too. they might hold with edible glue, but you might need a bit of internal structure like spaghetti or floristry wire. so you need to do that before it dries right through.

the figures should be sturdy enough to just sit on the cake - usually figures dont get firmly attatched to the cake. but yes, a cocktail stick or two will do the job - and it shouldnt be a problem for the cake either.

caseyhayes Posted 26 Oct 2009 , 10:52pm
post #4 of 4

i've stuck the spaghetti in the figure and stuck on the side of the cake and it tore the cake and slid all the way down. I don't remember if I froze the cake before or not but I'd like to figure out what I did wrong so I won't repeat THAT episode!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%