Food Safe Floral Wire?

Decorating By KathysCC Updated 26 Oct 2009 , 7:52pm by BlakesCakes

KathysCC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KathysCC Posted 26 Oct 2009 , 2:52pm
post #1 of 8

There was a discussion about this a few months ago but everyone said there was no such thing as food safe floral wire.

If you google "food safe floral wire", the fourth site that comes up is a cake supply store that sells 26 gauge 6 inch floral wire that it states is food safe. Does anyone have any more information about this?

I read in the previous thread about using coffee stirrers. Don't those get lost in the cake, especially if you are doing a large bouquet of gumpaste flowers and need lots of them?

One more question. Someone in the other thread mentioned flower picks. What are they? Can someone provide a link?

I'd really like more information on this subject, how you do it, what are the alternatives?

7 replies
izzy1953 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
izzy1953 Posted 26 Oct 2009 , 3:04pm
post #2 of 8

me too

mandysue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mandysue Posted 26 Oct 2009 , 3:14pm
post #3 of 8

me three!

Bluehue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bluehue Posted 26 Oct 2009 , 3:23pm
post #4 of 8

If you click on this site - and then look at 2nd row down - you will see the flower picks.
I know it is a UK site - but at least it gives you an idea.

http://www.sugarcraft-supplies.co.uk/Tools.html

I have mentioned the picks in another thread - and being plastic you can always snip the ends to get the length you want.

I fill mine with some regalice (fondant) and then insert the wires into that - stops them from swiverling around.

Here in Australia, we DO have Food Safe Wires - all gauges.
They are covered with a food safe coating and we can buy them either in white, dark green or silver.

Many have said "they aren't available" - but i guess it depends where they actually live.

Hope this is of some help.

Bluehue. icon_smile.gif

KathysCC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KathysCC Posted 26 Oct 2009 , 3:44pm
post #5 of 8

Bluehue, I'm afraid your the link was blocked. That is why I gave google search instructions for my link because so many of them get blocked.

Wilton sells something called a flower spike. Go to their site and do a search for it. Those seem so huge though. I just thought there might be an easier way or a wire made especially for gumpaste flowers.

ailika Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ailika Posted 26 Oct 2009 , 4:05pm
post #6 of 8

Well I did one once but I covered the wire with a little fondant then aluminum foil & then gum paste really thin & that worked the wire was never exposed

Bluehue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bluehue Posted 26 Oct 2009 , 4:11pm
post #7 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathysCC

Bluehue, I'm afraid your the link was blocked. That is why I gave google search instructions for my link because so many of them get blocked.

icon_rolleyes.gif forgot about it being blocked - thankyou for reminding me.

Wilton sells something called a flower spike. Go to their site and do a search for it.
When i did the google search for this thread - i did see the Wilton ones -
You can cut them down to size - and even the bit you cut off can be used - so you can get two out of one Those seem so huge though. I just thought there might be an easier way or a wire made especially for gumpaste flowers.
I will go search again - find the link and space the link o u t like this - hopefully that will work.
I think from memory i have seen them on Earles Cakes web site - will go have a look

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 26 Oct 2009 , 7:52pm
post #8 of 8

Some vendors consider stainless steel wire to be food safe--after all, that's what our forks and knives are made of...........problem is, it still rusts when in contact with moisture & acid, especially in a somewhat airtight environment.

In some ways, it doesn't matter a bit about the wire, since nothing on wires is considered food safe by health departments...........also, wires are to be wrapped with floral tape, which gets gunky inside a cake and can leave color or glue residue behind.

No, coffee stirrers don't get lost in the cake, especially if you use colored ones (I do). For thicker stemmed flowers, I love the straws from McDondald's--red & yellow striped, or the bright bubble tea straws.

For large bouquets, a Wilton hidden pillar or plastic dowel works great. For smaller bunches of flowers, the Wilton flower spikes are perfect.

HTH
Rae

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%