Stencil ?

Decorating By scionmom Updated 28 Oct 2009 , 7:29am by deliciously_decadent

scionmom Posted 26 Oct 2009 , 2:49pm
post #1 of 8

I am trying to stencil a design on a piece of hardened fondant... I am trying to do the stripes that are on a military uniform and have made my own stencil, well DH did... lol. I have done a few practice ones with painting it with luster, luster paint, and the spray luster in a can... but I cant seem to get it clean. When I take it off of the fondant it has bled and is not a clean look... Any suggestions as to what I can do or what I am doing wrong?

7 replies
jamiekwebb Posted 26 Oct 2009 , 3:30pm
post #2 of 8

bump

majka_ze Posted 26 Oct 2009 , 3:34pm
post #3 of 8

I would stencil it with colored royal icing, because straight color is too runny for what you want to do.

If you paint it with luster dust or similar, try use clear high content alcohol - it will evaporate quickly.

Still, imho royal icing would be better.

scionmom Posted 26 Oct 2009 , 4:03pm
post #4 of 8

Thanks for the bump jaime!
Majka_ze... If i were to use RI, what consistency would it need to be and how like of a layer do i use? I have thought of using it, but hate making it and thought that is might react funny on the fondant because of the shortening???

majka_ze Posted 26 Oct 2009 , 4:13pm
post #5 of 8

Easiest How-to is here

RI on hardened fondant is no problem, even on buttercream you can use it. The only difference is that it doesn't set hard - on this cake I have painted with RI on icing with high ratio of solid vegetable fat. It had a consistency like a glaze icing - not hard, but set firm.

scionmom Posted 27 Oct 2009 , 5:09am
post #6 of 8

OH MY GOODNESS! Thank you so much! I actually had watched that tutorial but was really scared of it because my last few tries with RI had flopped. icon_sad.gif! But I just got done with them and they look beautiful! Thank you again so much!!!

cylstrial Posted 28 Oct 2009 , 12:55am
post #7 of 8

majka_ze - thanks for the link to the video!

deliciously_decadent Posted 28 Oct 2009 , 7:29am
post #8 of 8

i have stenciled aot with black food dye, i always have to clean up the edges with a paint brush and colour, i got so annoyed with it that i went and bought an edible printer soooooo much easier!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%