How Many Servings For This Cake

Decorating By cserr4 Updated 27 Oct 2009 , 2:40am by all4cake

cserr4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cserr4 Posted 26 Oct 2009 , 2:14pm
post #1 of 16

can someone pls tell me if a 7x11- 2 layer- 2-inches each(total of 4 inches high) will feed 20 people?

thanks

15 replies
all4cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
all4cake Posted 26 Oct 2009 , 2:40pm
post #2 of 16

yes...

pennywells Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pennywells Posted 26 Oct 2009 , 2:41pm
post #3 of 16

an 8x8 inch round feeds 24 people (party slices) so I believe you will be fine.

cserr4 Posted 26 Oct 2009 , 2:41pm
post #4 of 16

is it exactly 20 servings or a little over?

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 26 Oct 2009 , 2:41pm
post #5 of 16

Do the math. If you're going to cut them in the industry standard of 1x2x4, then this means you will cut the cake in approx 7 rows by 5 columns = 35 servings.

If you cut them in 1.5x2x4, then you'll cut the cake in approx 4 rows by 5 columns = 20 servings.

If you cut them in 2x2x4 (a HUGE piece), then you'll cut the cake in approx 3 rows by 5 columns = 15 servings.

all4cake Posted 26 Oct 2009 , 2:46pm
post #6 of 16

Doing the math...

7x11=77

1.5x2=3(party serving) into 77=25.66666666666666666

1x2=2(wedding serving) into 77= 38.5

Does one not charge for the remnant cuts? They may not be pretty and perfect but it's still available cake....

cserr4 Posted 26 Oct 2009 , 2:47pm
post #7 of 16

thanks! i was getting worried that it wouldn't be enough.

indydebi Posted 26 Oct 2009 , 2:56pm
post #8 of 16

When I figure the size of a cake, I round down to the best divisible number, just to keep the math easy. On a 9x13, the shrinkage may take it down to 8.5 x 12.5 or something. Plus most people won't take a ruler to measure out the cuts .. I know I won't. But this is why I use the terms "approximately" 4 rows. thumbs_up.gif

all4cake Posted 26 Oct 2009 , 3:01pm
post #9 of 16

This is totally out of curiousity and not what the op asked at all...but, when figuring the cost per serv, do you base it on actual cake used or by the approx servs?

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 26 Oct 2009 , 3:11pm
post #10 of 16

I'm not exactly sure what you mean by those two terms

Quote:
Quote:

actual cake used or by the approx servs

But I do often go by the amount of batter that I will mix up~~I determine how many people I can serve out of one recipe of batter, how many cups in one recipe then multiply it out. Then I determine what size pans will encompass that amount of batter.

When I do a consult I tell the bride that the guests get approximately a cupcake size serving of of cake plus fillings give or take. That's an abstract they can realize. When I say 1x2x4, who knows what the hell that is kwim. Most of us think that's small. One inch does sound like a small serving of food but blablabla--however they can conceptualize a cupcake.

So cupcake calculator thoughts for you.

indydebi Posted 26 Oct 2009 , 3:15pm
post #11 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by all4cake

do you base it on actual cake used or by the approx servs?

I'm also confused.

If I sell them a 10" square cake, that is designed to serve 50, then they pay for 50 servings. They can cut it in half and hand out two forks for all I care, but they are paying for more than "two servings". icon_biggrin.gif

all4cake Posted 26 Oct 2009 , 3:23pm
post #12 of 16

I mean...for instance, the 7x11(two layer...)...the approximate servings referred to by indydebi and the actual iced cake amount....you know those odd servings left after the pretty cuts have been made...does one charge for those or are they basically freeby remnants? 7x11...7, one inch cuts by 5, two inch cuts....35 pretty cuts...what about the 3.5 remnant cuts...depending on per serv charge...those remnant cuts can add up...and knowing that no one is going to have a ruler, why wouldn't one charge for those(and I ain't saying anyone inparticular does or doesn't...I was only curious what others do about those). I charge for actual cake...I don't care how they choose to cut it and I do tell them that there will be remnant pieces and they can choose to serve those to dieters or the ones who prefer smaller pieces....

indydebi Posted 26 Oct 2009 , 3:40pm
post #13 of 16

you make good points .... and it's a good reason that I avoid dealing with 'odd' size pans. "evens" only for me, as much as possible! icon_lol.gif The only odd size pan I own is an 11x15. Otherwise, it's 6, 8, 10, 12, etcs thumbs_up.gif

cookie_fun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cookie_fun Posted 27 Oct 2009 , 2:25am
post #14 of 16

I don't mean to hijack the thread, but does anyone know how many servings you will get for a doll cake? You know the ones where the head and body are sticking out of the top and the cake is the skirt?

Thanks!

prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 27 Oct 2009 , 2:33am
post #15 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by cookie_fun

I don't mean to hijack the thread, but does anyone know how many servings you will get for a doll cake? You know the ones where the head and body are sticking out of the top and the cake is the skirt?

Thanks!

Since that pan uses the same amount of batter as making a two-layer 8" round cake, I say it serves the same number, so 25.

all4cake Posted 27 Oct 2009 , 2:40am
post #16 of 16

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%