Newbie Questions For The Experts- Can You Advise?

Decorating By Jeniwin Updated 26 Oct 2009 , 5:59pm by prterrell

Jeniwin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jeniwin Posted 26 Oct 2009 , 1:23pm
post #1 of 5

I am the mother of 3 under of 3, so my cake time is so limited. You all out there are my salvation for staying with this passion for cake of mine, so thank you for all your help. I don't have much money or time to experiment, as I'm sure many others don't as well, so any advise to save both is much appriciated. I have a couple of questions:

1. When do you collect final payment on cakes you have taken deposits for?

2. Do you apply piping gel to dummies before covering with fondant, or something else? How thick?

3. American BC? I assume this is a shortening recipe? Any advice on which one to use? Do most of you use this kind of BC?

4. Does anyone use FBC or SMBC? I use both now, but I'm thinking they are too buttery tasting for most. Thoughts?

4 replies
Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 26 Oct 2009 , 1:37pm
post #2 of 5

I collect final payment 2 weeks prior to the event.Ypu can use piping gel or make a simple syrup with corn syrup and water and jsut brush that on or you can use straight vodka,white rum and brush on the dummy as well.It will evaporate anyway.I don't use a crusting BC recipe but rather the whipped Bakery recipe from Whimsical bakehouse called there House BC.Love it..Just like SMBC or IMBC but no cooking.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 26 Oct 2009 , 2:43pm
post #3 of 5

Answer: if you take checks it needs to be no less than 3 weeks so the ck has time to clear the bank. Some people make is much earlier - like 6 weeks - it's up to you.

2. Do you apply piping gel to dummies before covering with fondant, or something else? How thick?
Answer: No need - especially if you wish to re use the dummy. Just a very light spray of water will be enough.

3. American BC? I assume this is a shortening recipe? Any advice on which one to use? Do most of you use this kind of BC?
Answer: SharonZ (aka: SugarShack) has some a really wonderful recipe on this site. She also has some wonderful videos to help you ice a cake easily.
Another recipe (I haven't tried) that many like is IndyDebi's. It uses an envelope of DreamWhip, might be something you cannot obtain since I get the feeling you are not based in the US.

4. Does anyone use FBC or SMBC? I use both now, but I'm thinking they are too buttery tasting for most. Thoughts?
Answer: sorry don't use either.

HarleyDee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HarleyDee Posted 26 Oct 2009 , 5:31pm
post #4 of 5

I require full payment no later than 7 days prior to the event. No money, no cake icon_smile.gif

I use a spray bottle and spray my dummies down with water befoe applying fondant. Starting out I couldn't afford piping gel, and others here suggested water. It's close to free, so I tried it and it worked fine. been doing that since.

prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 26 Oct 2009 , 5:59pm
post #5 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeniwin

Right now I just do cakes for friends, family, church members, and DH's coworkers, so I haven't required a deposit. If I were to do a cake w/ a deposit and final payment, I would require final payment 30 business days prior.

Quote:

Just spray with a mist of water.

Quote:

The recipe with shortening and/or butter and powdered sugar is referred to by many names, American BC being one of them. I do not use this frosting, but many other CC-ers do. Popular recipes include SugarShack's and Indydebi's.

Quote:

I use IMBC (which is basically the same as SMBC, except the method of making is a bit different). I have not yet tried FBC, but plan to do so in the near future. Everyone I make cakes for prefers my BC because it is so buttery and not as tooth-achingly sweet and frostings made w/ PS. People who normally think they don't like frosting and generally eat cake and leave the frosting on the plate love my frosting, to the point of eating it by itself!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%