Modelling Clay

Decorating By Meg147 Updated 27 Oct 2009 , 4:55pm by Meg147

Meg147 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Meg147 Posted 26 Oct 2009 , 10:57am
post #1 of 9

Hi. If I make models from modelling clay for a cake which is to be decorated in around a week - how best do I store them? Thanks in advance.

8 replies
redheadco Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
redheadco Posted 26 Oct 2009 , 11:11am
post #2 of 9

Hi there, ive only made a few cakes so no expert, but when ive made a modle i put the on greaseproof paper and then in a tuperwear box, just those cheap butty box type you get from tescos and leave somewhere cool, as i did leave one near the tumble dryer and it melted a bit, so cool place.
this might not be what your supposed to do but its worked for me

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 26 Oct 2009 , 7:41pm
post #3 of 9

If you are using modeling clay, and not an edible product like gum paste or modeling chocolate, even though it may be non-toxic, it should NOT come in direct contact with any part of the cake that will be eaten.

As for storage, if they are made of edible products like fondant, gum paste, or modeling chocolate, they should be stored away from heat, light, and dust, but will need some air to circulate around them so that they dry properly.

HTH
Rae

tatorchip Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tatorchip Posted 26 Oct 2009 , 7:48pm
post #4 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakesCakes

If you are using modeling clay, and not an edible product like gum paste or modeling chocolate, even though it may be non-toxic, it should NOT come in direct contact with any part of the cake that will be eaten.

As for storage, if they are made of edible products like fondant, gum paste, or modeling chocolate, they should be stored away from heat, light, and dust, but will need some air to circulate around them so that they dry properly.

HTH
Rae

I agree with BlakesCakes, I put my fondant/gumpaste letters and numbers in a shoe box with holes in lid and all around HTH

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 26 Oct 2009 , 8:01pm
post #5 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meg147

Hi. If I make models from modelling clay for a cake which is to be decorated in around a week - how best do I store them? Thanks in advance.

Wait, are you inquiring about polymer clay/Play-Doh, or chocolate modelling clay?

Theresa icon_smile.gif

Meg147 Posted 27 Oct 2009 , 3:21pm
post #6 of 9

It's Mexican Modelling Paste (sorry, I didnt realise that was what I was going to use at the time of posting).

RE: BlakesCakes wrote:

Can I ask why they shoudl not come into contact with the edible parts of the cake icon_confused.gif (sorry if this is a ridiculous question!).

Thanks

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 27 Oct 2009 , 4:05pm
post #7 of 9

Mexican paste is edible and it can come in direct contact with the cake. It should be dried in the same way I mentioned above.

As for modeling clay, it can leach out undesireable elements once it comes in contact with any acid ,grease on/in the cake, or moisture. At best, that would be an unappetizing color and at worst, something that shouldn't be ingested.

It's always best, if you're unsure, to mount such an item on an edible plaque of gum paste, fondant, mexican paste, pastillage, or chocolate.

Rae

Meg147 Posted 27 Oct 2009 , 4:54pm
post #8 of 9

Thank you Rae, for your sound advice thumbs_up.gif

Meg147 Posted 27 Oct 2009 , 4:55pm
post #9 of 9

Sorry, and everyone else who took the time to respond - Thank you x

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%