Cake Dummies...help

Decorating By Cricketina Updated 13 Nov 2009 , 2:18am by yummum2

Cricketina Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cricketina Posted 26 Oct 2009 , 5:21am
post #1 of 12

I just got my order of cake dummies in and I am super excited icon_lol.gif But I hear the best way to apply the fondant to the dummies is piping Gel???? Is this the best adhesive and if so how thickly do I apply It icon_eek.gif

Thank you
Clueless in Colorado icon_redface.gif

11 replies
madgeowens Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
madgeowens Posted 26 Oct 2009 , 5:37am
post #2 of 12

I have used mmf on dummy without anything under it.........except I rub crisco on it and then cs.....just to smooth it out underneath

Elise87 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Elise87 Posted 26 Oct 2009 , 5:47am
post #3 of 12

I just lightly brush them with water and then put fondant on and it sticks fine icon_smile.gif

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 26 Oct 2009 , 2:48pm
post #4 of 12

Yeah, what they ^^^^^ said icon_smile.gif Just plain ol' water - a light misting. Makes it much easier to remove when you are ready to make another design.

Cricketina Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cricketina Posted 26 Oct 2009 , 6:38pm
post #5 of 12

Thank you for the great ideas everyone icon_biggrin.gif

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 26 Oct 2009 , 6:55pm
post #6 of 12

Listen, when they say a "light misting", they're not kidding! First time I did this, I used my sink sprayer to "mist" the dummies. Holy crap, I had wet fondant, the color was running down the sides (and it was black fondant!). It was like Lucy Ricardo in the candy factory!

LIGHT misting. LIGHT! Very light! icon_redface.gif

dsilvest Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dsilvest Posted 26 Oct 2009 , 7:16pm
post #7 of 12

You may need to soften the upper edge of the foam by sanding it lightly with fine sand paper or another piece of old styrofoam. This helps to eliminate the fondant tearing on the sharp edge.

If you have any dents, fill with a bit of frosting before you cover the foam.

I also use just a bit of water to stick my fondant to the foam.

Make sure you let it crust before handling it too much. I let it sit for an hour or two. This will eliminate the small dimples from your fingers.

deliciously_decadent Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
deliciously_decadent Posted 28 Oct 2009 , 8:18am
post #8 of 12

use vodka!!!!! it works soooo much better!!! i have done many a dummy (all my show and display cakes for shows and my shop and nothing works better!!!!! remmeber to fix your edges quickly as they are sharper than normal and will tear easier!! do not sand the edges of. there is nothing better than a crisp sharp edge!!!

dsilvest Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dsilvest Posted 28 Oct 2009 , 8:42am
post #9 of 12

Nothing is worse for the beginner than to have the sharp edges of the styrofoam rip the fondant multiple times. It is very frustrating. Lightly sanding will help to solve this problem. Fondant covered cakes look very elegant with their soft edges rather than crisp ones.

deliciously_decadent Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
deliciously_decadent Posted 28 Oct 2009 , 9:56am
post #10 of 12

think the liking or not iking of sharp edges is a location thing, rounded edges are the norm in say the UK but in audtralia the sharper the better icon_smile.gif

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 28 Oct 2009 , 12:11pm
post #11 of 12

For your first try at covering a dummy with fondant, I highly suggest rounding the edges for your sanity's sake. icon_wink.gif After you master the rounded edges, then go ahead and try to do the ones with the "sharp" edges. Both ways look very nice.....but the rounded edge is much easier to master. IMO!

yummum2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yummum2 Posted 13 Nov 2009 , 2:18am
post #12 of 12

OMG i am definately going insane trying to cover this cake dummy!! icon_mad.gif

This is the 1st time i have covered one and it keeps tearing, i just want to cry! icon_cry.gif
I like the sharp edge, so really don't want to take that away from the look, but does someone have a really good tip on how to cover the dummy WITH the sharp edges?

I am trying to fix my edges quick, but as i go around to the other side, it starts to tear, maybe i should use the vodka.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%