Thomas Cake Tutorial Question

Decorating By DaniAlexandria Updated 28 Oct 2009 , 5:13pm by DaniAlexandria

DaniAlexandria Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DaniAlexandria Posted 26 Oct 2009 , 4:01am
post #1 of 5

Hi everyone!

I hope this is the right place. There is a popular Thomas cake tutorial a great lady from this site sent me. It calls for sculpting the cake but it's frozen. Has anyone done this cake? Does it have to be frozen to make it?

Thank you!!!!!!

4 replies
bashini Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bashini Posted 26 Oct 2009 , 11:24am
post #2 of 5

The reason for freezing the cake before carving is to minimize the cake crumbling. You also can put the cake in the fridge, before carving. icon_smile.gif

majka_ze Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
majka_ze Posted 26 Oct 2009 , 11:52am
post #3 of 5

I just made Thomas cake for the previous weekend. I didn't freeze the cake, but I surely wished I did. I did bake the cake, let it cool and carved it immediately.

It is doable, but you get much more crumbs than when freezing the cake. As I didn't start early enough, I had to do it this way, but should I do the cake again, I would freeze the baked cake. I got crumbs everywhere, the cake wasn't set enough and it needed really good crumbcoat. It was actually more work (and even perhaps more time) than waiting for the cake to freeze and carving after this.

CakeInfatuation Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeInfatuation Posted 26 Oct 2009 , 12:07pm
post #4 of 5

I did a Thomas Cake about a month ago. I'm happy with the end result but I will say that we had a bit of patch work with the cake itself because it was not frozen. Me being a "duh" sometimes... there were chocolate chips in the cake which make for very difficult carving.

Frozen is EASIER and cleaner. That's it. Not required or necessary. But the end result is a much easier carve.

DaniAlexandria Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DaniAlexandria Posted 28 Oct 2009 , 5:13pm
post #5 of 5

Alright! Thank you ladies! It's greatly appreciated! I'm going to make it tonight and freeze it! I rather it be easier!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%