Is This Okay, Or Too Tasteless?

Decorating By emiyeric Updated 30 Oct 2009 , 11:49pm by emiyeric

emiyeric Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emiyeric Posted 26 Oct 2009 , 1:44am
post #1 of 16

I posted a question today about covering cheesecake with fondant, but then started thinking about the reasoning behind it, and figured I needed a sounding board for this.

A close friend of mine is having her birthday this week (Halloween, as a matter of fact). She is a huge fan of the cake decorating I get to do, and is always going through my pictures and coming up with ideas she likes. Her mom (who passed away three years ago) used to make her pumpkin cheesecake for every birthday instead of regular cake. I wanted to make her a cheesecake, but decorate it so she would still get the fun part of the design, but I don't want to seem callous or tasteless by trying to replicate her mom's tradition, or by making it a "fun" thing. Do you think I should try for the cheesecake, or just stick to regular cake? And if I do the cheesecake, should I try to decorate it at all, or just leave it as a straight-up cheesecake?

Thanks for your opinions!

-Emi.

15 replies
JGMB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JGMB Posted 26 Oct 2009 , 1:51am
post #2 of 16

If it were me, I'd just do the straight-up cheesecake. I bet she'd love having one again and appreciate that you remembered this tradition.

baycheeks1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
baycheeks1 Posted 26 Oct 2009 , 1:58am
post #3 of 16

Maybe you can make her a cake with a pumpink cheesecake filling...that might be good, I know some people make cakes with cheesecake filling...so like a Vanilla or spice cake with the pumpkin cheesecake filling

prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 26 Oct 2009 , 2:07am
post #4 of 16

I'd just do the cheesecake. Maybe a nice whipped cream border. This is a super nice gesture, not tasteless at all!

adonisthegreek1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adonisthegreek1 Posted 26 Oct 2009 , 2:10am
post #5 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by JGMB

If it were me, I'd just do the straight-up cheesecake. I bet she'd love having one again and appreciate that you remembered this tradition.

Ditto.

Rincewind Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rincewind Posted 26 Oct 2009 , 2:14am
post #6 of 16

I've iced (banana) cheesecake with white chocolate cream cheese buttercream (Rose Berenbaum's recipe). It was delicious! I think a cream cheese-based icing would taste great with a pumpkin cheesecake, though plain would definitely work as well.

txsteph Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
txsteph Posted 26 Oct 2009 , 4:12am
post #7 of 16

How about making the cheesecake & then making a small decorated cake too. That way she gets both!

sugarandslice Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarandslice Posted 26 Oct 2009 , 4:30am
post #8 of 16

You know your friend. Trust your judgement. Or you could ask someone closer to her - her husband maybe?

FleurDeCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FleurDeCake Posted 26 Oct 2009 , 5:14am
post #9 of 16

i would do just the cheesecake and I am sure she would really love that you were considerate enough to continue such a heartfelt tradition

all4cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
all4cake Posted 26 Oct 2009 , 5:28am
post #10 of 16

I wouldn't think that you decorating the cheesecake would be callous or tasteless. "I know it's not the same as your mother's but I know how much you loved them. So, I thought I'd combine your appreciation for decorated cakes with your fondness of cheesecake....Happy Birthday!" It's not like you are trying to outdo her mother but more to include the memory of her mother and her mother's love for her as well. That's just how I see it anyway.

madgeowens Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
madgeowens Posted 26 Oct 2009 , 5:39am
post #11 of 16

why not just ask her what she wants

emiyeric Posted 26 Oct 2009 , 4:12pm
post #12 of 16

LOL! You know, madge, that's actually what my husband keeps asking! icon_smile.gif I really wanted to surprise her, though. Thanks everybody for your wonderful suggestions! After talking it out with some of our nurses with whom we are good friends (we're both neonatologists in the same unit), we decided the best option would probably be to make a cake with the pumpkin cheesecake as filling, and explain the original intent when I give it to her. That way, I can be as fun or irreverent with the design as I like, and won't be overstepping my boundaries ... and then, if she seems like it would have been okay, next year I'll just make the cheesecake plain and simple. She's not married, so our friends are probably the best way to figure out what she'd be okay with.

Thanks so very much for helping me think all this through, guys! I'll update you when I get the cake to her icon_smile.gif.

-Emi.

dberck Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dberck Posted 26 Oct 2009 , 8:55pm
post #13 of 16

I love the idea to make a cake with the cream cheese filing! Have fun!

metria Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
metria Posted 26 Oct 2009 , 9:09pm
post #14 of 16

Bakerella made cheesecake pops:

http://www.bakerella.com/cheesecake-pops/

... mmm ... now I'm hungry ...

Win Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Win Posted 26 Oct 2009 , 9:16pm
post #15 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by emiyeric

LOL! You know, madge, that's actually what my husband keeps asking! icon_smile.gif I really wanted to surprise her, though. Thanks everybody for your wonderful suggestions! After talking it out with some of our nurses with whom we are good friends (we're both neonatologists in the same unit), we decided the best option would probably be to make a cake with the pumpkin cheesecake as filling, and explain the original intent when I give it to her. That way, I can be as fun or irreverent with the design as I like, and won't be overstepping my boundaries ... and then, if she seems like it would have been okay, next year I'll just make the cheesecake plain and simple. She's not married, so our friends are probably the best way to figure out what she'd be okay with.

Thanks so very much for helping me think all this through, guys! I'll update you when I get the cake to her icon_smile.gif.

-Emi.

I think that is the best way to go... that way you have honored her mother's tradition, yet you have not tried to step into her mother's shoes by exactly (trying) to duplicate what it was her mother always made for her. You are a good friend. thumbs_up.gif

emiyeric Posted 30 Oct 2009 , 11:49pm
post #16 of 16

Here we go!

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1503650&done=1

Thanks again for all your help, guys. It turned out great this way!

-Emi.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%