The New Foamcore Cake Boards Have Arrived!!!

Decorating By Jeff_Arnett Updated 29 Oct 2009 , 3:39pm by dailey

sadsmile Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sadsmile Posted 28 Oct 2009 , 6:50pm
post #61 of 72

Don't little pieces of the press and seal come off when cutting and serving the cake?

I think all of the issues discussed in this thread make the OP's boards desirable as they are the desired foam core material and have a food safe paper cover and have neat edges. It's progress and the public demands it.

__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 28 Oct 2009 , 6:52pm
post #62 of 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by sadsmile

Don't little pieces of the press and seal come off when cutting and serving the cake?

I think all of the issues discussed in this thread make the OP's boards desirable as they are the desired foam core material and have a food safe paper cover and have neat edges. It's progress and the public demands it.

Not unless you are cutting your cake with razor blades.

Jeff_Arnett Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jeff_Arnett Posted 28 Oct 2009 , 8:45pm
post #63 of 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiggy2

I know a lot of decorators use copy paper to smooth BC, is that really food safe? I've never seen anything stating it is. What about the spackling knives they buy at the home improvement store, are those food safe? Everyone is never going to agree on what to use and not use. This subject has been beaten to death in the fast and I'm sure will be again. People are going to do what they are comfortable with and have probably been doing for years.

I'd be interested to see documentation from the other end....cases in which someone actually was made sick due to the wires in the cake or the contact covering the board, etc.

I know that many of the big time stars stick wires directly into the cake and have done so for decades.....wonder why during all those years some health inspector who showed up to inspect the bakery never made an issue of the practice?

What about cutting bases made from wood and covering them with royal icing or fondant and putting cakes on them....many do....does anyone have any documentation of this practice causing illness? Many harmful chemicals are used in manufacturing wood products.

OMGitsaLisa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
OMGitsaLisa Posted 28 Oct 2009 , 9:31pm
post #64 of 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff_Arnett

...does anyone have any documentation of this practice causing illness?

My view on the matter is this. Coming into contact with one cake that's been on a non-food safe surface one time probably won't make you sick. All those chemicals that are in it, though... this stuff adds up. Every little bit makes it worse and worse and over time, the effects may be seen, even if you can't directly link it to any one practice or situation. Why add to the problem? Because it's pretty? Sure, if the person consuming it has no problem with it, then go for it. It's their choice what to put into their bodies, but I think there is an expectation from people that the food they purchase from you will be prepared on food safe equipment. That may be naive, but to be confronted with the facts (or even a suggestion that you should then follow up on to confirm) and STILL choose to ignore it with no warning to your customers is, to me, unacceptable and irresponsible.

Sure, that one time might not hurt them, nor the next 10 or a 100. But I don't accept "well, the chemicals are everywhere, so what's one more source?" as an acceptable argument.

I'm not trying to single anyone out with this post and the "you" is meant in a general sense. I only replied to your post about it, Jeff, to be topical since your post touched on the issue.

Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 28 Oct 2009 , 9:41pm
post #65 of 72

Heck, Duff uses power tools to cut wood and pipe right next to the tables where an assistant is covering a cake in fondant.......doesn't mean it's OK or food safe.

I look at it this way....let the "hobbiest" do what they want but as a "professional" who sells cakes I am expected to follow safe food handling practices.....and I do.

The public puts their trust in my hands and I'll be damned before I compromise their health or safety. I take this VERY seriously.

My reputation and livelihood are on the line and it's just not worth taking any chances. When in doubt....don't use it. I would hope other professionals that I purchase food from feel the same way.

But hey, everyone is free to do whatever the heck they want....my advice to those with questions about food safety is to check with your local HD and see what is acceptable and what is not......after all they're the ones you'll have to deal with if there is ever a complaint. Cover yourself......don't just take advice from an on-line forum about something so important.

Jeff_Arnett Posted 28 Oct 2009 , 10:06pm
post #66 of 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by OMGitsaLisa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff_Arnett

...does anyone have any documentation of this practice causing illness?

My view on the matter is this. Coming into contact with one cake that's been on a non-food safe surface one time probably won't make you sick. All those chemicals that are in it, though... this stuff adds up. Every little bit makes it worse and worse and over time, the effects may be seen, even if you can't directly link it to any one practice or situation. Why add to the problem? Because it's pretty? Sure, if the person consuming it has no problem with it, then go for it. It's their choice what to put into their bodies, but I think there is an expectation from people that the food they purchase from you will be prepared on food safe equipment. That may be naive, but to be confronted with the facts (or even a suggestion that you should then follow up on to confirm) and STILL choose to ignore it with no warning to your customers is, to me, unacceptable and irresponsible.

Sure, that one time might not hurt them, nor the next 10 or a 100. But I don't accept "well, the chemicals are everywhere, so what's one more source?" as an acceptable argument.

I'm not trying to single anyone out with this post and the "you" is meant in a general sense. I only replied to your post about it, Jeff, to be topical since your post touched on the issue.

No offense taken....I just mean I am curious as to whether or not any actual research has been done in this area.

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 29 Oct 2009 , 2:48am
post #67 of 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathysCC

BlakesCakes, I promise, I am not arguing with you on this so please don't yell. But with all the information available on the internet, why would this information NOT be readily available? I tend to not believe anything until I read it for myself and would like some tangible proof.

I have never used contact paper myself for food purposes. I have heard the argument before that it is not food safe. When I read this thread, to satisfy my own curiosity, I searched online to find more on the subject but could find nothing. I recently started a thread about the safety of floral wire in cakes. I was able to find a lot of information online on that subject and WHY floral wire is not food safe. I just want the same proof for shelf paper.

It kind of bothered me that when someone said they used it, they were heartily admonished for it but no one offered proof of their claims.

Ok, I won't yell............I feel that you're questioning my integrity when I say that I have had direct contact with the makers of the product...........but, I won't yell............I'm telling you what you need to know, but you require better/more/Google proof...........but, I won't yell.

What more proof do you require? One source that has spoken with the manufacturer about the proper use of their product isn't enough? What evil end do I have in mind here? Where are my millions to be made for passing on this advice? What gain do I receive for having the audacity to
perpetuate such an unsubstantiated claim?

Believe what you want. Do what you want. I've told you not what I think, but what I know. I didn't yell. There is absolutely no reason not to take the high road, accept that this product may not be the best thing to use in direct contact with food, and then find an alternative to use if for no other reason than to be the kindest you an be to the poor sod who consumes the cakes you make.

Remember, I didn't yell.
Rae

Beckup Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Beckup Posted 29 Oct 2009 , 6:51am
post #68 of 72
Quote:
Quote:

But hey, everyone is free to do whatever the heck they want....my advice to those with questions about food safety is to check with your local HD and see what is acceptable and what is not......after all they're the ones you'll have to deal with if there is ever a complaint. Cover yourself......don't just take advice from an on-line forum about something so important.

Ditto

sadsmile Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sadsmile Posted 29 Oct 2009 , 2:39pm
post #69 of 72

Where is the emoticon for boinking your head against the wall?

Where is the research...? When a company decides to make a product they do plenty of research. What applications their product would have, how to make it safe for that, and where to draw the line on cost for production. Sure they'd love their product to be as versatile as possible but there is a limit because of what is in it and how it can be used.

If it isn't marketed in the food section or for use with food and the label does not say food safe then guess what...? The company did the research, manufactured their product and placed it with in the retail/add space best describing their product's usage. And I would be willing to bet that if this becomes a more popular issue that a warning would pop up in their products label or on the company's web site stating that those products are not food safe and are not recommended for use with food and not to place any food directly on their products. No company is going to want to be liable for improper use of their products, especially where public health and safety is concerned.

AS for the paper. I would use butcher paper sheets over PC paper any day as PC paper is not for use with food.

Peridot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Peridot Posted 29 Oct 2009 , 3:09pm
post #70 of 72

And the beat goes on and the beat goes on.....

Beat it, beat it, beat it.....

Jeff_Arnett Posted 29 Oct 2009 , 3:15pm
post #71 of 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peridot

And the beat goes on and the beat goes on.....

Beat it, beat it, beat it.....

I agree....this horse has been ridden far enough....to each his own!

dailey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dailey Posted 29 Oct 2009 , 3:39pm
post #72 of 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkelly

I look at it this way....let the "hobbiest" do what they want but as a "professional" who sells cakes I am expected to follow safe food handling practices.....and I do.

finally, common sense plain and simple...

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%