The New Foamcore Cake Boards Have Arrived!!!

Decorating By Jeff_Arnett Updated 29 Oct 2009 , 3:39pm by dailey

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 26 Oct 2009 , 8:58pm
post #31 of 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by icalise

Thanks bobwonderbuns!

I now have to go see what contact paper, press and seal and freezer paper are! I feel stupid asking these questions here. I don't have any friends interested in cake decorating so... I have to embarrass myself. Aside from being new to cake decorating, english is also my 3rd language (hope that justifies my silly questions). icon_smile.gif

You're doing fine!! Don't worry about asking questions, that's what CC is here for. Don't ever feel stupid for asking questions, it's how we learn. Contact paper is something we line shelves with and put our plates and glasses on (which we then remove from the shelves, fill with food and drink and consume...) so I highly dispute the "not food safe" statement on that. I don't have a press and seal like what has been described, unless it's the food zapper thingy I have but mine seals bags, not cake boards. Freezer paper is a waxy paper sort of like wax paper only white and shiny on one side and is generally the stuff grocers use to package meat in. Hope that helps! icon_biggrin.gif

grandmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grandmom Posted 26 Oct 2009 , 9:18pm
post #32 of 72

Press N Seal is a plastic wrap product. It's not slick and shiny and clingy like regular plastic wrap (you know the kind - the only thing it sticks to is itself!). This wrap is matte in finish on one side, and ever so slightly sticky on the other. The sticky side has tiny little dots of food-safe adhesive, which are activated when you press on them.

So it's easy to make sealed pouches for food simply by placing the food inside two layers of the wrap and running your finger around the food, or easy to cover dishes and seal with the press of a finger, or to cover foamcore board.

Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 26 Oct 2009 , 9:57pm
post #33 of 72

just remember --

a part of the price you pay for EVERYTHING is for the packaging it comes in.

sooooooo.......

just add the price of the boards into the cost of the cake as a NORMAL business expense.

no one said we have to watch the client's dime -- well, unless we're watching it go from their pocket to ours!

Jeff_Arnett Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jeff_Arnett Posted 26 Oct 2009 , 10:20pm
post #34 of 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by grandmom

Well, let's not forget that part of that price includes the polystyrene coating, and the nice uniform edges. Still... I think the only time I would fork over that much money would be for a wedding cake... and I only make those for family.. and I haven't made one in over 10 years (would like to though!).

Jeff, thanks for all your work on this. I'm bookmarking the site just in case someone gets married...!

If you compare this price point to the other company that offers pre-made foamcore boards, they're pretty much equal.

And remember, these are already covered in a FDA approved white styrene covering that requires no additional covering.

I guess you have to weigh cost versus other factors. If I have to go to Michaels to buy the boards when on sale, drive them home, take time to cut them, buy materials to cover them, etc.....I find the cost in materials and time spent is probably more than buying them premade. And remember too that not everyone lives near a Michaels or other craft store where they can go pick up boards.

Personally, the cost of the boards, as well as any other material, are in the price of my cakes. I realize not everyone has a market that allows them to charge for these extras, but I am fortunate to be able to.

So if you can make you own cheaper and faster, I'd recommend continuing to do so....but if you don't want all that hassle, then this is another option.

icalise Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icalise Posted 27 Oct 2009 , 1:56am
post #35 of 72

Thanks bobwonderbuns and grandmom!

(I knew what contact paper was but I didn't know it was called contact paper). Press and Seal sounds like something I should have even if not for cake boards. I will look for it next time I go to Target! icon_smile.gif

bobwonderbuns Posted 27 Oct 2009 , 2:15am
post #36 of 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobwonderbuns

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cakepro

No, contact paper is NOT food safe. Using Press n Seal over the contact paper would be the correct thing to do.

~~~~~~~~

Well I've been using it for years, it's been recommended by several top names in the business and I haven't killed anyone yet. Given that I see no reason to change. icon_razz.gif

I just wanted to post this, not to start anything certainly, but rather to reaffirm why I'm comfortable with the decisions I make on my cakes, in this case the use of contact paper on the cake board:
http://www2.dupont.com/PFOA/en_US/newsroom/food_contact_paper.html

Cakepro Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakepro Posted 27 Oct 2009 , 6:28pm
post #37 of 72

icon_smile.gif So, the contact paper you use under cakes states that it is made with DuPont's Zonyl RP?

I think you are confusing that one particular grease/liquid repellent coating (Zonyl RP by DuPont) that is used in food-contacting paper packaging products with common craft store contact paper. icon_smile.gif

This, BTW, is Glad Press 'n Seal: http://www.glad.com/plasticwrap/pressnseal.php

bobwonderbuns Posted 27 Oct 2009 , 7:02pm
post #38 of 72

I'm still comfortable with my decisions. Thank you for asking.

sadsmile Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sadsmile Posted 27 Oct 2009 , 7:08pm
post #39 of 72

Some shelf papers or contact papers are made with bug repellent or insect resistant. Many are made with in the same factory on the same equipment. Sure toxins in minute doses are not that harmful but why risk it?

Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 27 Oct 2009 , 7:22pm
post #40 of 72

My HD won't give me the ok for either foamcore boards or contact paper....so I use either plastic divider plates or just cake boards that I get from my baker's wholesaler.

Not to go too far off topic....but how about the plastic upholstery stuff some people buy at Joann's by the yard to roll their fondant out on? I'm thinking that isn't food safe either. Have you smelled the "plastic chemical" odor that stuff gives off?

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 27 Oct 2009 , 7:32pm
post #41 of 72

yeah, it smells kinda like Satin Ice fondant.........but I still cover my cakes in that! lol

Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 27 Oct 2009 , 8:57pm
post #42 of 72

Well at least we KNOW that Satin Ice is actually consumable though. icon_lol.gif It does smell though doesn't it?

Mark-Mexicano Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mark-Mexicano Posted 27 Oct 2009 , 9:31pm
post #43 of 72

I don't know if i am the only one who uses chip board (covered of corse) for like sheet cakes.... a 1/2 inch thick 4foot by 8foot sheet is 6.00 where i live. Which will make 15 14x19 boards so they end up costin 40 cents each and they are sooo sturdy they dont bend at all soo there is no cracking on crusting buttercream cakes

cib Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cib Posted 27 Oct 2009 , 10:36pm
post #44 of 72

Thanks very much for the link Jeff. Been wishing and hoping for something like this. Anything to help out with crunch time doing wedding cakes. You're awesome.

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 28 Oct 2009 , 6:46am
post #45 of 72

The standard contact paper that is sold in normal retail outlets IS NOT food safe for prolonged contact with food, especially greasy or acidic foods (cake & buttercream).

I have e-mailed the Kittrich company, a large manufacturer of contact paper. Their response to me, over 2 years ago, was that the clear contact paper is OK if there is a barrier between it and the cake. Knowing this, I use it ONLY on decorative baseboards, ALWAYS putting a cake board between the contact paper and the cake, extending the board enough to also keep the bottom border off of the contact paper.

Kittrich states that colored or patterned contact papers should never be used where there may be contact with food because of the LEAD in the colors.

Sitting our plates or glasses on this stuff has nothing to do with it being food safe, or not. Those items cannot leach lead or phthalates into them, like food can--that is the concern here.

Since I've been told by the manufacturer--I LISTEN.

HTH
Rae

OMGitsaLisa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
OMGitsaLisa Posted 28 Oct 2009 , 7:13am
post #46 of 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobwonderbuns

I'm still comfortable with my decisions. Thank you for asking.

I have no doubt that you are comfortable with your decisions. I do hope, however, that you let everyone you serve the cake to know that it's on a surface that hasn't been approved for such use and why so that they can make the decision for themselves. Some people don't like risking lead and phthalates being leached into the delicious and beautiful cake that they eat.

KathysCC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KathysCC Posted 28 Oct 2009 , 7:41am
post #47 of 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by OMGitsaLisa

I have no doubt that you are comfortable with your decisions. I do hope, however, that you let everyone you serve the cake to know that it's on a surface that hasn't been approved for such use and why so that they can make the decision for themselves. Some people don't like risking lead and phthalates being leached into the delicious and beautiful cake that they eat.

I'm curious where you are getting your information. I've googled everything I can think of and can find nothing stating that contact paper is not food safe.

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 28 Oct 2009 , 8:00am
post #48 of 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathysCC

I'm curious where you are getting your information. I've googled everything I can think of and can find nothing stating that contact paper is not food safe.

As I said in my post above, I GOT THE INFORMATION DIRECTLY FROM KITTRICH CORP., A MAJOR MANUFACTURER OF CONTACT PAPER.

The lead in the colors is pretty obvious as far as a health concern.

The issue of phthalates is more subtle, but suffice it to say that these chemicals are what makes the polyvinylchloride in the paper very flexible. These phthalates are carcinogens and have been banned in the use of children's toys and things like teething rings, bottle nipples, etc. for this reason. These compounds leach out of the contact paper when exposed over a period of time to the grease and acids.

This subject has been covered MANY TIMES HERE ON CC. I'm not the only one who has corresponded with Kittrich regarding this issue. CONTACT PAPER IS NOT FOOD SAFE.

Rae

sadsmile Posted 28 Oct 2009 , 1:43pm
post #49 of 72

There really should be a sticky or some article listing all the things that are not safe to use on cake. And the treatment of things that can be used if handled or used in conjunction with the things that will make it food safe.

Regardless of of how long something has been in practice, once it is discovered that it is not food safe that practice should be stopped. It's in the interest of food safety and keeping people healthy. I don't see why anyone would continue knowingly practising unsafe methods of food preparation. That would be the epitome of uncaring stubbornness.

I am not trained in food safety but I have enough sence that if it wasn't manufactured for food production some checking to see if it is safe is in order.

A lot of knowledgable professionals in here are so kind to share about issues like this. Thank you for that!

zdebssweetsj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
zdebssweetsj Posted 28 Oct 2009 , 2:00pm
post #50 of 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by sadsmile

Some shelf papers or contact papers are made with bug repellent or insect resistant. Many are made with in the same factory on the same equipment. Sure toxins in minute doses are not that harmful but why risk it?

I work in a plant that produces film products. Products that are produced for health,medical and food are produced on dedicated lines and are regulated,controlled and also meet ISO standards. Cross contamination in these area would not be possible.

sadsmile Posted 28 Oct 2009 , 2:19pm
post #51 of 72

Then the point here would be that the contact papers in question which are not food grade or treated as such in processing would not be given those strict regulations as the products you mentioned and could be made on the same equipment as the stuff with bug resistant materials.

KathysCC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KathysCC Posted 28 Oct 2009 , 2:30pm
post #52 of 72

BlakesCakes, I promise, I am not arguing with you on this so please don't yell. But with all the information available on the internet, why would this information NOT be readily available? I tend to not believe anything until I read it for myself and would like some tangible proof.

I have never used contact paper myself for food purposes. I have heard the argument before that it is not food safe. When I read this thread, to satisfy my own curiosity, I searched online to find more on the subject but could find nothing. I recently started a thread about the safety of floral wire in cakes. I was able to find a lot of information online on that subject and WHY floral wire is not food safe. I just want the same proof for shelf paper.

It kind of bothered me that when someone said they used it, they were heartily admonished for it but no one offered proof of their claims.

sadsmile Posted 28 Oct 2009 , 2:56pm
post #53 of 72

When floral wire was first being used and people doubted whether it was food safe there wasn't as much available to read about it then as there is now. Being that it became pretty popular the need for information fed the demand. Warnings about lead were circulated and practices changed to protect consumers.
I would imagine that if any one e-mails the company that sells the shelf paper they use would be return the information needed. The Kittrich CORP manufactures the Contact and Mainstays brands of shelf paper as well as others. Here is a link to their web site. There is a customer service link to contact them through email or by phone.

http://www.kittrich.com/brand.html

__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 28 Oct 2009 , 4:05pm
post #54 of 72

I think the first clue that it isn't intended to place food on is.......it isn't on the same shelf with other stuff that is, ya know like Saran Wrap or aluminum foil. I still use it for the fancier little cakes, the clear contact paper over scrapbook paper. Not something that bothers me much. I mean, the cake is on it's own seperate little circle, and barely a sliver of frosting is touching the contact paper. But I'll keep an eye out for the first person's cake I used it for a few years ago and see if he grows a third nipple. Then I'll probably be a little concerned.

peg818 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peg818 Posted 28 Oct 2009 , 4:15pm
post #55 of 72

my biggest thing about contact paper is the company can't say its food safe cause they haven't jumped through the FDA hoops to have it rated so. If they jump through the hoops to have it rated as FDA approved then those of us that use it are going to be paying alot more for it whether we are lining shelves or covering cake boards. there are many things that people use for cake decorating that may or may not be rated as food safe.

And as far as using some of the fda approved stuff, i have used the wilton fancy foil that is rated food safe and guess what the color comes off the stuff. How safe can that really be.

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 28 Oct 2009 , 4:45pm
post #56 of 72

I know a lot of decorators use copy paper to smooth BC, is that really food safe? I've never seen anything stating it is. What about the spackling knives they buy at the home improvement store, are those food safe? Everyone is never going to agree on what to use and not use. This subject has been beaten to death in the fast and I'm sure will be again. People are going to do what they are comfortable with and have probably been doing for years.

__Jamie__ Posted 28 Oct 2009 , 4:46pm
post #57 of 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiggy2

I know a lot of decorators use copy paper to smooth BC, is that really food safe? I've never seen anything stating it is. What about the spackling knives they buy at the home improvement store, are those food safe? Everyone is never going to agree on what to use and not use. This subject has been beaten to death in the fast and I'm sure will be again. People are going to do what they are comfortable with and have probably been doing for years.

Basically, huh? icon_biggrin.gif

Cakepro Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakepro Posted 28 Oct 2009 , 4:55pm
post #58 of 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiggy2

People are going to do what they are comfortable with and have probably been doing for years.

EXACTLY why I do not go to "potluck" suppers. LOL

KASCARLETT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KASCARLETT Posted 28 Oct 2009 , 6:11pm
post #59 of 72

But doesn't the Press and Seal have it written all over the top of it? Mine that I have at home does and that doesn't make for a very pretty presentation! lol

__Jamie__ Posted 28 Oct 2009 , 6:17pm
post #60 of 72

No, you do not want Press and Seal visible in your final presentation. That would look tacky. I use that on my foam board circles. You don't see that.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%