The Cake Mix Doctor Book?

Decorating By Cristi-Tutty Updated 26 Oct 2009 , 7:31pm by Shawnswife

Cristi-Tutty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cristi-Tutty Posted 26 Oct 2009 , 1:09am
post #1 of 18

Hello everyone,

I saw this book today at BJ'S for $10.99. Do you think this is a good book to buy? or which baking book is good?

Thank you!!!

17 replies
bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 26 Oct 2009 , 1:14am
post #2 of 18

I have all her cake books and yes, they are all worth the $$. A quick note on her frostings though -- double those recipes. Her frosting recipes are always skimpy. But the cakes are awesome.

Win Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Win Posted 26 Oct 2009 , 1:16am
post #3 of 18

I love, love, love mine! Good investment. I got mine by shopping on Ebay for $4.99!!!

Cristi-Tutty Posted 26 Oct 2009 , 1:23am
post #4 of 18

wow...that is a great price...and thank you for the advice...definitely I will get it...

which recipes are good?

Thank you both!!!!

minerva16 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
minerva16 Posted 26 Oct 2009 , 1:23am
post #5 of 18

I love the book! Don't remember how much it cost but it was well worth it.

Cristi-Tutty Posted 26 Oct 2009 , 1:39am
post #6 of 18

Could you please thell me which recipe is really good to try? thank you everyone icon_smile.gif

bobwonderbuns Posted 26 Oct 2009 , 2:00am
post #7 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cristi-Tutty

Could you please thell me which recipe is really good to try? thank you everyone icon_smile.gif

Well they're all good. Try something you like or something you think sounds good.

Cristi-Tutty Posted 26 Oct 2009 , 2:28am
post #8 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobwonderbuns

Quote:

Well they're all good. Try something you like or something you think sounds good.

I see that you have the link for recipes...are those better?

Thank you

icon_redface.gif

andpotts Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
andpotts Posted 26 Oct 2009 , 2:33am
post #9 of 18

I love her books because they get the idea wheels turing too all of the recipes I've made have been really good, I just love some of the flavor combos and stuff she has come up with. I also have her the dinner dr, the cupcake dr and the what can I bring cookbook thumbs_up.gif They are all wonderful and packed to the brim with info and ideas!

Win Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Win Posted 26 Oct 2009 , 3:56pm
post #10 of 18
Quote:

All of the recipes are really good, some of the cakes date back to the seventies and are great to have archived (example the Friendship cake was really popular in the late seventies and it is fun to have that in print in case it ever makes a comeback.) For great recipes to use with which to impress:

*Darn Good Chocolate Cake
*Basic Sour Cram White
*Sour Cream Chocolate Cupcakes
*White Chocolate Pound Cake
*Basic Yellow Pound Cake
*Basic Sour Cream Yellow Cake
*Bacardi Rum Cake (this is another cake from the eighties that is fab!)
*Butter Layer Cake

Just to name a few... but, really, they are all fabulous!

Cristi-Tutty Posted 26 Oct 2009 , 3:59pm
post #11 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Win

Quote:

All of the recipes are really good, some of the cakes date back to the seventies and are great to have archived (example the Friendship cake was really popular in the late seventies and it is fun to have that in print in case it ever makes a comeback.) For great recipes to use with which to impress:

*Darn Good Chocolate Cake
*Basic Sour Cram White
*Sour Cream Chocolate Cupcakes
*White Chocolate Pound Cake
*Basic Yellow Pound Cake
*Basic Sour Cream Yellow Cake
*Bacardi Rum Cake (this is another cake from the eighties that is fab!)
*Butter Layer Cake

Just to name a few... but, really, they are all fabulous!

Thank you so much!!! I will try those....thank you!! thank you!!!

thumbs_up.gificon_biggrin.gif

superwawa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
superwawa Posted 26 Oct 2009 , 4:20pm
post #12 of 18

I got this book as a belated birthday present, since my mom knew I loved her older Cupcake Doctor book.

So far I have only tried the Pina Colada cake recipe and it was delicious! I can't wait to try some of the others.

(I did sent CMD an email about her wedding cake recipe - it's geared towards less experience decorators who need more information rather than less. While she mentions that it is a good idea to find pesticide-free flowers to decorate your cake, her recipe instructs to stick the flowers directly into the cake. And she's using hydrangeas, no less).

Funny how differently you look at recipes once you've got the CC critical eye icon_wink.gif

jewels710 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jewels710 Posted 26 Oct 2009 , 4:40pm
post #13 of 18

I love her books. I have three different ones and bought all of them used online.
Worth every penny!
Buy it, buy it, buy it!

luminajd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luminajd Posted 26 Oct 2009 , 5:04pm
post #14 of 18

The only one I have made is Darn Good Chocolate Cake. I have made it both with and without the chocolate chips. Both ways are very rich and got HUGE raves from the people I served it to. I just got it again from the library and am eager to try other recipes.

bobwonderbuns Posted 26 Oct 2009 , 5:08pm
post #15 of 18
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobwonderbuns

Quote:

I see that you have the link for recipes...are those better?

Thank you

icon_redface.gif

The recipe links I have in my signature are links to all the google docs from all the threads here on CC that have them. Some are box mixes with extenders, some are from scratch, some are for savory appetizers and such. The cake mix doctor books are box mix with extender recipes. So I wouldn't call these better, just from a different source, namely what members here on CC have submitted in the different threads and I compiled into one location. icon_smile.gif

Cristi-Tutty Posted 26 Oct 2009 , 6:44pm
post #16 of 18

Thank you everyone for the feedback...icon_smile.gificon_wink.gif

Cristi-Tutty Posted 26 Oct 2009 , 6:46pm
post #17 of 18

I just bought the book, I can't wait to try some of the recipes!!!
YEAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Shawnswife Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Shawnswife Posted 26 Oct 2009 , 7:31pm
post #18 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by andpotts

I love her books because they get the idea wheels turning

So true! I got the Cake Doctor book for my birthday like 5 or 6 years ago. At the time I was not into baking as much as I was into cooking, and the baking I did do was totally from scratch, so it was a few years before I even tried one of her recipes. But ohhh am I glad I did! It opened up my mind to what can be done with a box of cake mix! thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%