Buttercream Coming Up With Cakeboard Above It?

Decorating By leslie2748 Updated 26 Oct 2009 , 11:51pm by Gingoodies

leslie2748 Posted 25 Oct 2009 , 11:45pm
post #1 of 10

I made my husband's humidor cake that I have posted on this site, turned out adorable. icon_surprised.gif) Inside, it was 6 layers of cake, buttercream filling.

There were 2 cake boards inserted between layers 2 and 4 for cutting purposes, obviously. I did have a little problem, though, with the buttercream from the underlayer coming up with the board on top of it. How do you keep this from happening?

9 replies
prterrell Posted 26 Oct 2009 , 2:03am
post #2 of 10

You can use powdered sugar, shredded coconut, or cake crumbs (I use cake crumbs). Just sprinkle a layer onto the cake where the board will go and the board won't stick!

leslie2748 Posted 26 Oct 2009 , 5:12am
post #3 of 10

Thank you! I have never heard that! So, obviously PS will show the least, so I will try that first. How thick a layer are we talking? Just a generous sprinkle?

prterrell Posted 26 Oct 2009 , 6:14pm
post #4 of 10

I personally use the cake crumbs, so not sure how much PS, thinking you'd need a good solid layer of it, although not as much if you are using a crusting BC (I use meringue BC which I don't think would work w/ the PS trick).

Cakepro Posted 26 Oct 2009 , 8:14pm
post #5 of 10

It just takes a sprinkling of powdered sugar over a crusting buttercream -- definitely not a thick layer.

Win Posted 26 Oct 2009 , 8:32pm
post #6 of 10

...and there are usually those in a crowd who absolutely abhor coconut --or have an allergy to it so it's least on my list of things to sprinkle between layers.

leslie2748 Posted 26 Oct 2009 , 8:44pm
post #7 of 10

Thank you all! I will try those!

KHalstead Posted 26 Oct 2009 , 8:50pm
post #8 of 10

I do this all the time for taller cakes (fish aquarium one and slot machine definitely)...I frost the cake and then cut a sheet of waxed paper to fit the top, then put on the next layer. This way you serve the top part of the cake, pick up the empty cake board (once that layer is served) and just peel back the wax paper and you have a freshly iced layer of cake to cut, and just repeat for however many layers you have. If I'm doweling the cake (i use the big thick plastic dowels) I put in the dowels and then put the wax paper right over top. HTH

SugarFrosted Posted 26 Oct 2009 , 8:54pm
post #9 of 10

I saw a chef at DisneyWorld shave white chocolate onto the lower tier before setting the next tier on top. He said it would keep the board under the top tier from sticking and pulling up the frosting/fondant from the lower tier.

Gingoodies Posted 26 Oct 2009 , 11:51pm
post #10 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by prterrell

You can use powdered sugar, shredded coconut, or cake crumbs (I use cake crumbs). Just sprinkle a layer onto the cake where the board will go and the board won't stick!

CAKE CRUMBS!!! icon_surprised.gificon_rolleyes.gifthumbs_up.gif Why did I never think of that one!!! Thanks!

Once again, "you learn something new every day"!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%