Wasc- What Cake Mix Flavors Are The Least Synthetic Tasting?

Baking By jcakes33 Updated 27 Oct 2009 , 6:28pm by jcakes33

jcakes33 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jcakes33 Posted 25 Oct 2009 , 9:56pm
post #1 of 6

My apologies if this has already been discussed. If so, any links on prior discussions would be much appreciated. But, I absolutely love the WASC recipe. However, I have not ventured out of using only the Betty Crocker White Cake Mix because I'm afraid other flavors will taste too synthetic.

I'm going to test the Betty Crocker Golden Vanilla mix, however I would love to know if using the Yellow cake mix brings great results or any other flavors. I know some cake mixes have that distinct synthetic taste more than others.

So far, I've been using Lorann oils and other flavorings to the White cake mix. But, I'd love to hear if anyone has had sucess using other cake mix flavors?

TIA!

5 replies
girlinspired Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
girlinspired Posted 27 Oct 2009 , 1:30pm
post #2 of 6

Hi - I've used yellow, chocolate, and red velvet cake mixes and then doctored them to make them more dense and flavorful. I started out with Pillsbury and then tried Betty Crocker. They're both good, and I always got really good feedback.

MARTIEQZ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MARTIEQZ Posted 27 Oct 2009 , 1:42pm
post #3 of 6

I use nothing but Cake Mix Doctor recipes and people think they're homemade. Even the older ladies that grew up on homemade!

Uniqueask Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Uniqueask Posted 27 Oct 2009 , 1:43pm
post #4 of 6

I only use Duncan Hines, but I do use all the flavors with the WASC recipe, and got rave reviews. sometimes I add sour cream, yogurt, and I substitute half water for half coffee creamer depending on the flavor I am making, I also puree' fresh strawberries, use fresh lemon juice and lemon zest etc.

I got many pople telling me that my lemon cake taste real good you can taste it is lemon and they have never had that before,
I also use many flavored pudding mixes. Look for the gourmet flavors thread.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 27 Oct 2009 , 2:20pm
post #5 of 6

synthetic?? Wow, I've never felt any of my cakes tasted synthetic. Being the originator of the WASC recipe I cannot agree w/you at all. I have used every flavor of mix on the market and never had anything but rave reviews on all of them.
Taste is soooooooo individualized - check out the thread in The Lounge about what will you not eat icon_smile.gif

jcakes33 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jcakes33 Posted 27 Oct 2009 , 6:28pm
post #6 of 6

Great, thank you so much for all your responses!

Kakeladi - I'm so sorry if that came off offensive. icon_redface.gif I really do LOVE your recipe because it tastes so wonderful and nothing like a stand alone cake mix cake. As a newbie to CC, I was just apprehensive on other flavors, such as strawberry, that may have a strong artificial taste from the cake mix flavoring. I have not experimented further, but definitely plan to do so after hearing that other flavors taste just as great! And, I agree with you all in that WAS does taste 100% homeade! thumbs_up.gif

Thanks again for your help!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%