Fondant People Tutorials?

Decorating By ramie7224 Updated 26 Oct 2009 , 2:09am by Cristi-Tutty

ramie7224 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ramie7224 Posted 25 Oct 2009 , 4:39pm
post #1 of 15

I need to make a couple of disney princess characters for an upcoming birthday cake and I am TERRIBLE at faces. I've only found one tutortial on making faces (it was aine2's). Does anyone know of any other tutorials or have any specific advice for modeling fondant faces? I would use a mold, but I can't seem to find quite what I'm looking for.

14 replies
lainalee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lainalee Posted 25 Oct 2009 , 5:09pm
post #2 of 15

I was going to suggest aine2, so here's a bump. Would love to see more of these too. icon_smile.gif

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 25 Oct 2009 , 5:13pm
post #3 of 15

here's one from another CC member

http://www.how2cakes.com/face.html

7yyrt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
7yyrt Posted 25 Oct 2009 , 5:51pm
post #4 of 15

This is for a skull, but add a little flesh and it might do. Artists claim you need a good working knowledge of anatomy to draw or sculpt good people.
http://www.polymerclaycentral.com/castle/dinkoskull.html

elliebuff Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
elliebuff Posted 25 Oct 2009 , 6:08pm
post #5 of 15

I don't know if you have time to do this, but there are a few books out showing faces in detail. Lindy Smith or Debbie Brown are a couple that come to mind.

I ended up buying books from both of them, but I checked the Lindy Smith book out from the library before I decided to purchase. I was surprised at how many cake decorating books there were at the library...but I'm sure that varies by city.

Debbie Brown does some enchanted character books that give some great ideas for the rest of the body as well...just things that bring the look together.

elliebuff Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
elliebuff Posted 25 Oct 2009 , 6:09pm
post #6 of 15

7yyrt--that skull tutorial is great!!! I will have to bookmark that one...

7yyrt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
7yyrt Posted 25 Oct 2009 , 6:10pm
post #7 of 15

Check the rest of the site too - it's an amazing one.

ramie7224 Posted 25 Oct 2009 , 11:08pm
post #8 of 15

Thanks so much for all of the suggestions. I saw in the cheap cakers thread that some people use doll heads to make their own molds. I may pick up a knock off disney doll from the dollar store and try that!

Cristi-Tutty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cristi-Tutty Posted 26 Oct 2009 , 1:01am
post #9 of 15

which princess are you looking for?

Win Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Win Posted 26 Oct 2009 , 1:14am
post #10 of 15

The face molds in the clay aisle of your local hobby store work great to get you started. They are inexpensive if you have the ability to use a coupon and get it 40% to 50% off.

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 26 Oct 2009 , 1:15am
post #11 of 15

Lindy Smith has fondant people tutorials in some of her books if you have those available.

ramie7224 Posted 26 Oct 2009 , 1:23am
post #12 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobwonderbuns

Lindy Smith has fondant people tutorials in some of her books if you have those available.

Christi Tutty- I'm specifically looking for Snow White and maybe Cinderella also.

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 26 Oct 2009 , 1:25am
post #13 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by ramie7224

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobwonderbuns

Christi Tutty- I'm specifically looking for Snow White and maybe Cinderella also.

I think for those you would need to look at Debbie Brown's books -- she does a lot of fairy tale cakes.

Cristi-Tutty Posted 26 Oct 2009 , 1:42am
post #14 of 15

I found this but it is not modelling...I am sorry http://hubpages.com/hub/How-To-Make-A-Doll-Cake
hope it helps

Cristi-Tutty Posted 26 Oct 2009 , 2:09am
post #15 of 15

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%