Does This Even Work?

Decorating By emiyeric Updated 26 Oct 2009 , 1:50am by korensmommy

emiyeric Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emiyeric Posted 25 Oct 2009 , 2:58pm
post #1 of 5

I want to make a pumpkin cheesecake for a good friend of mine, as it's her birthday this week and her mother used to make her pumpkin cheesecake for her birthday every year instead of regular cake. I've had issues in the past covering cream cheese icing with fondant, with my fondant melting ... can you cover an honest-to-goodness cheesecake with fondant?

Alternatively, has anybody used real cheesecake as a filling or layered cheesecake with regular cake? I make "faux cheesecake" filling all the time, cream cheese-based and with cheesecake flavoring and pudding, but I've never actually layered cheesecake with cake. Any pointers?

4 replies
Jeff_Arnett Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jeff_Arnett Posted 25 Oct 2009 , 5:09pm
post #2 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by emiyeric

I want to make a pumpkin cheesecake for a good friend of mine, as it's her birthday this week and her mother used to make her pumpkin cheesecake for her birthday every year instead of regular cake. I've had issues in the past covering cream cheese icing with fondant, with my fondant melting ... can you cover an honest-to-goodness cheesecake with fondant?

Alternatively, has anybody used real cheesecake as a filling or layered cheesecake with regular cake? I make "faux cheesecake" filling all the time, cream cheese-based and with cheesecake flavoring and pudding, but I've never actually layered cheesecake with cake. Any pointers?

I've never tried to cover a cheesecake with fondant, but for the other question....yes....I make a chocolate truffle cheese cake the same size as my cake layers [I bake it with no crust in a parchment lined, lightly PAM sprayed regular cake pan] but just more thin....instead of making on thick cheesecake I bake two thin ones.

I chill the cheese cake overnight, then gently warm the pan over a stove burner and shake the pan back and forth until the cheesecake loosens, then remove it from the pan and sandwich it between chocolate cake layers with a smear of raspberry preserves as glue and iced the whole thing in chocolate ganache or buttercream......I've also done vanilla cheese cake with strawberry jam between vanilla cake layers......pretty much to die for!

Gingoodies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Gingoodies Posted 25 Oct 2009 , 8:25pm
post #3 of 5

Please don't hate me! icon_surprised.gif Why would you want to cover a perfectly yummy thing like a pumpkin cheesecake with fondant. I think, if it were me, I would love to have something that was as close to my birthday memory cake as possible. That's just my opinion.

You are just the most wonderful friend to want to do this and I hope she loves your creation.! icon_lol.gifthumbs_up.gif

emiyeric Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emiyeric Posted 26 Oct 2009 , 1:38am
post #4 of 5

LOL Gingoodies! You're right, I would probably want the straight-up cheesecake as well ... just that she loves the fun cake decorating I do sometimes, and is always asking to see pictures, trying to give me ideas, and talking about designs. I just figured she'd like a fun cake icon_smile.gif.

Thanks so much, Jeff_Arnett, for the tips! Regardless of what I decide to do this week for her, I'll definitely have to try that!!

Thanks agian, guys!

korensmommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
korensmommy Posted 26 Oct 2009 , 1:50am
post #5 of 5

My husband makes me a cheesecake every year for my birthday. Last year he decided to use my cutters and cut out "Happy Birthday" out of MMF and put it on top of the cheesecake. When he took it out of the refrigerator, the letters melted and spread across the entire cake!

I am a cheesecake lover & agree with Gingoodies - don't ruin a beautiful cheesecake with fondant!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%