Midnight Blue?

Decorating By redheadco Updated 26 Oct 2009 , 5:54pm by redheadco

redheadco Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
redheadco Posted 25 Oct 2009 , 9:10am
post #1 of 4

Hi,i am currently making a halloween cake for a friend that needs cheering up after losing her job, wanting to make a fun cake for her, i have made a witch flying on a broom figure for the top of the cake with a little cat and thats all great, but my question and where i get stumped is, im making a square cake for it to sit on with bats and stars, so i want to cover it in midnight blue coloured fondent or that type of shade.
Now i still have some liquide food colours which i am replacing as i go with pastes, i was wondering is it possible to get a nice dark blue from black and blue liquide colour or should i just forget it and go a buy a dark blue paste, p.s i dont like waste, but i think i know what i should do, ie buy paste, but really just wondering if its possible to get the right colour in liuqid, not had time to trial it yet hench me asking on here. plus as the cake is a freebi, i cant just add it on to the price of the cake.
sorry for going on. thanks for looking, take care lisxx

3 replies
Jeannem Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jeannem Posted 26 Oct 2009 , 2:05pm
post #2 of 4

I recently mixed royal blue and purple for a nice cobalt blue, depending on how dark you want it, add a tish of black. Be careful with the black as it'll make it dingy. Are you using purchased fondant, or are you making MMF. If MMF, just add your color before adding the powdered sugar. HTH

Bluehue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bluehue Posted 26 Oct 2009 , 2:25pm
post #3 of 4

redheadco - i know you don't have time now - but do you usually get your colours from Blue Ribbon? http://www.blueribbons.co.uk/shop/7/12/index.htm
As i see you are in the UK

Even tho i am in Australia - i love there colours - and order them all the time.

Plus there range is large - and so many different *shades* from each colour to choose from.

Bluehue. icon_smile.gif

redheadco Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
redheadco Posted 26 Oct 2009 , 5:54pm
post #4 of 4

no i get them from my local cake shop, cant remember the name off hand, im buying the fondent as im going away and will only get back late friday so need something quick

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%