Giving Up Cakes For A While...please Pray For Our Family!

Lounge By messy_chef Updated 26 Feb 2010 , 4:42pm by pastryqueen9

messy_chef Posted 25 Oct 2009 , 3:36am
post #1 of 86

My youngest was diagnosed with cancer this weekend. We are currently at the Duke Pediatric Oncology unit...everyone who has worked with us has been wonderful. She is having her right kidney removed on Monday and will also being getting a port put in her chest for chemotherapy. The only cake I foresee in the near future is a 'Welcome Home, Baby' cake!

85 replies
jonahsmom Posted 25 Oct 2009 , 3:39am
post #2 of 86

Oh my! Cancer just can't leave people alone!!!!!!

I'll be thinking of you and your family...and looking forward to the picture of the "Way to kick cancer's butt" cake!!!!

Price Posted 25 Oct 2009 , 3:41am
post #3 of 86

I'm so sorry that your daughter and family are going through this. I will pray for you all.

Mensch Posted 25 Oct 2009 , 3:43am
post #4 of 86

I'll be thinking of you.

friendly Posted 25 Oct 2009 , 3:58am
post #5 of 86

My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family at this difficult time. Keep on believing and rely on God to get you through this. I know from my husband battle with cancer what you must be going through. May God Bless you and your family.

tracycakes Posted 25 Oct 2009 , 3:59am
post #6 of 86

I am so sorry for your daughter and your family. I'll be praying for you all.

tatorchip Posted 25 Oct 2009 , 4:01am
post #7 of 86

You and your Daughter and Family will be in my prayers. God be with ya'll

CakeDiva73 Posted 25 Oct 2009 , 8:53am
post #8 of 86

I'm so sorry...... I will pray for her every night.

G_Cakes Posted 25 Oct 2009 , 9:41am
post #9 of 86

Please know that you are all in our thoughts and prayers.

Cancer has touched so many directly or indirectly but I believe that we shall beat it.

Your cake family is here for you...((((((((((HUGS))))))))))

crazydoglady Posted 25 Oct 2009 , 2:15pm
post #10 of 86

i am so sorry that you must go through this.
you will be in my thoughts.
please keep us posted when you have the energy.

peace

Eliza Posted 25 Oct 2009 , 3:32pm
post #11 of 86

I'm so sorry to hear, will keep you all in my thoughts and prayers.

mightydragon663 Posted 25 Oct 2009 , 8:12pm
post #12 of 86

I am so sorry to hear about your daughter. She is in my prayers.

Barb1959 Posted 25 Oct 2009 , 8:16pm
post #13 of 86

My heart goes out to you. Hope all turns out well. My prayers to you and your family.

lardbutt Posted 25 Oct 2009 , 8:25pm
post #14 of 86

=*( I am so sorry and pray she will beat this!

Suzycakes Posted 25 Oct 2009 , 10:13pm
post #15 of 86

My thoughts and prayers are with your daughter and you. Keep your faith!!

Suze

Kiddiekakes Posted 25 Oct 2009 , 10:14pm
post #16 of 86

Keeping you and your family in my prayers!!!

Loucinda Posted 25 Oct 2009 , 10:15pm
post #17 of 86

I will keep you and your family in my prayers.

Naynay538 Posted 26 Oct 2009 , 12:00am
post #18 of 86

I'm so sorry to hear about your daughter. Trust in God with unweavering faith. Your family will be in my prayers. Sending you cyber hug.

traceym Posted 26 Oct 2009 , 12:14am
post #19 of 86

I'm sorry. Your family will be in my prayers!

Rebealuvsweets Posted 26 Oct 2009 , 1:40am
post #20 of 86

May our dear Lord Jesus give u and your family strength and faith. Also may he lay his hand on your daughter and take away every little sign of cancer. God bless u...

JGMB Posted 26 Oct 2009 , 1:47am
post #21 of 86

What Cancer Cannot Do

Cancer is so limited...
It cannot cripple Love
It cannot shatter Hope
It cannot corrode Faith
It cannot destroy Peace
It cannot kill Friendship
It cannot suppress Memories
It cannot silence Courage
It cannot invade the Soul
It cannot steal eternal Life
It cannot conquer the Spirit.
Author Unknown

Just believe it and you WILL get through this ordeal. My thoughts and prayers are with your entire family. Hugs, Julie

heddahope Posted 26 Oct 2009 , 3:38am
post #22 of 86

I will be praying for your little princess and your family. God Bless.

messy_chef Posted 26 Oct 2009 , 12:18pm
post #23 of 86

Thank you for all the kind thoughts. She is going back to pre-op in a bit and your messages have left me in better spirits.

Ursula40 Posted 26 Oct 2009 , 12:20pm
post #24 of 86

Sending loads of good thoughts, be brave for her

-K8memphis Posted 26 Oct 2009 , 12:26pm
post #25 of 86

God bless you all very much. Keep us posted as you can.

Love & Prayers,
Kate

PS. Remember about Lance Armstrong--he had prostate cancer, brain cancer and lung cancer...then he won seven Tours de France (21 day bicycle race).

Deb_ Posted 26 Oct 2009 , 12:41pm
post #26 of 86

I'm praying for God to Bless your little daughter and all of you!

May the Lord look over her today and each day that follows and give her the strength and courage needed to conquer this disease.

Your CC family is all here for you whenever you need us...please take care of yourself too!

Love and God Bless!
Deb

crazydoglady Posted 26 Oct 2009 , 1:50pm
post #27 of 86

sending a hug and wishing you peace.

Lcubed82 Posted 26 Oct 2009 , 3:50pm
post #28 of 86

My prayers are with you. My new pastor's son is the Hospital Chaplain at Duke (Pastor Jordan). I met him this summer, and he seems like a neat guy.

(My DH and I went to Duke, me to the nursing school. You are at a wonderful place.)

messy_chef Posted 26 Oct 2009 , 9:38pm
post #29 of 86

We had a change of plans...no surgery today. Since there are lesions on Eve's left kidney which are considered to be pre-disposed to cancer, the oncologists want to be sure that they have explored all options before removing the right kidney. There is most likely a large Wilms tumor in the upper part of her right kidney, but the lower part is questionable as to what it is, whether it be Wilms or nephroblastomatosis (not yet cancerous lesions that may or may not turn into Wilms).

Eve was sedated and given an MRI a few hours ago. The oncologists here at Duke have been assessing her case with oncologists all over the country, and everyone is weighing in before they proceed with anything. From what we understand, there are two basic options that they are debating- either remove the kidney and then give chemotherapy, or start with chemotherapy to try to shrink any questionable lesions, hoping to salvage part of the right kidney instead of removing the whole thing. If the left kidney were clear of lesions, they would simply go forward with removing the right kidney, but knowing that one day she might have to have part of the left removed, everyone wants to be sure they can't save any of the right.

A geneticist came in a few minutes ago to check out Eve and see if there were any obvious signs of some syndromes that some people with Wilms have. While she didn't see anything in her examination, DH, Eve, and I will be getting genetic testing done on Thursday to find out if there is something abnormal with her genetic make-up. It takes several weeks before getting results, so we won't find out anything before then. Of course, this very well could be just an isolated case of Wilms unrelated to any syndrome, but they want to be sure. One of the doctors theorized that the cells in Eve's kidneys were abnormal in utero.

Again, we appreciate all your support and will update more when we find out the results of the MRI.

JGMB Posted 26 Oct 2009 , 9:45pm
post #30 of 86

Wow, that's a lot to digest! Luckily, it sounds like you understand all of the medical terminology so you're not left in the dark. Prayers are still forthcoming for you, Eve, and your entire family!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%