I Want To Buy A Bakery

Business By janjensen67 Updated 27 Oct 2009 , 11:39pm by cabecakes

janjensen67 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
janjensen67 Posted 25 Oct 2009 , 3:31am
post #1 of 6

I want to buy a bakery in my Wisconsin town. I am a hobby baker. Where do I begin? Do I need to take some classes? Where do I find out about regulations and licensing? I have no clue where to begin.
Thanks so much.

5 replies
Mensch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mensch Posted 25 Oct 2009 , 3:44am
post #2 of 6

Oh boy.

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 25 Oct 2009 , 4:02am
post #3 of 6

Here you go:

http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-358713.html

I'd recommend sitting down with a cup/glass of your favorite beverage because it's a LONG read. icon_smile.gif

HTH

cookie_fun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cookie_fun Posted 25 Oct 2009 , 4:12am
post #4 of 6

janjensen67~

Welcome to CC! Your question is a difficult one because each state, heck each county can vary. There are just too many variables for an easy answer. The best place to start would be your health department. For my county I was able to find out lots of information their online site.

Good luck in your endeavor, and enjoy the CC site. You will quickly become addicted!

janjensen67 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
janjensen67 Posted 25 Oct 2009 , 6:34pm
post #5 of 6

Thank you guys so much. The bakery I am interested in isn't even for sale. Wanted to start laying my ground work before it does come up for sale so I will be able to buy it. (the bakers are not very good, nor dependable so its just a matter of time before they fail.)
Just a little more info. from me. The bakery I am interested in was for sale 2 years ago for 58K.
I have been decorating for 21 years now as a hobby. My daughter recently went to Wilton School of cake decorating in Illinois. I am a nurse by profession. So heres some of the plan. If the bakery comes up for sale would like to purchase. Continue to work as an RN but have the legal kitchen to decorate cakes legally. (I just do it for friends now.) My daughter would work part time and get all the bakery business stuff together. Then do specialty bakery full time and I would continue to help as a hobby. After I have paid the building off (or I am old enough to retire). I would join her in the business. We plan on cookies, cupcakes and cakes. That's kind of the dream so now, if I am serious I need to get the ground work complete. THANKS AGAIN FOR YOU HELP!

cabecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cabecakes Posted 27 Oct 2009 , 11:39pm
post #6 of 6

Good Luck!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%