Cake Division For Stringwork?

Decorating By JanelleH Updated 29 Oct 2009 , 4:21am by icer101

JanelleH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanelleH Posted 25 Oct 2009 , 2:11am
post #1 of 10

Hi, I am just starting to work with tiered cakes, and I was wondering if anyone can tell me how to divide up my cake to make my stringwork even? I have one of the Wilton cake division mats and a garland marker, but they didn't come with instructions (I'm using a double layer 8" round cake). My supervisor at work uses a styrofoam cup and just estimates the divisions, but I would like a more professional look. Any help would be appreciated?

9 replies
ApplegumKitchen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ApplegumKitchen Posted 25 Oct 2009 , 2:18am
post #2 of 10

Just take a piece of greaseproof paper and wrap it around the cake to get the correct measurement. Remove and divide equally into the desired size and shape. Cut to size - re-position on cake and mark where necessary with pin.

I haven't used any of the Wilton Markers for this - find this OLD method works fine.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 25 Oct 2009 , 2:38am
post #3 of 10

I use the clock-face method & toothpicks.

I insert a toothpick at clock positions where I want the garland (or what you're probably calling stringwork) to stop and start. I might put a toothpick at the 12, 3, 6 & 9 position, then a toothpick in the middle of these sections. Or toothpicks at 12, 2, 4, 6, 8, 10 positions. Super easy to eyeball, no matter what size cake you're doing.

denetteb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
denetteb Posted 25 Oct 2009 , 2:52am
post #4 of 10

I just used my Wilton dividing wheel tonight. I needed my cake divided into 6 equal sections for my design. I placed the wheel centered on my turntable then placed my cake centered also. I used a toothpick to lightly make a mark at the top, outside edge of the cake directly over each line radiating from the wheel with a 6 on it. I ignored all the lines that don't have a 6. I was only doing a one layer cake so I just eyeballed where to mark over the line but for a regular 2 layer cake I probably would take my pastry blade or another straight edge and put one edge right on the line with the number I want and use it vertically then make my mark lightly. I had 6 perfect sections and no way could I have eyeballed it as accurately. Hope that is clear enough.

zdebssweetsj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
zdebssweetsj Posted 25 Oct 2009 , 8:47am
post #5 of 10

Well applegumcake that seams like a handy dandy idea. I love the keep it simple ideas.

ApplegumKitchen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ApplegumKitchen Posted 25 Oct 2009 , 10:45am
post #6 of 10

Just so we get our terminology correct here..... what is it exactly that you are referring to as 'stringwork' ? haha - was just chatting with another Aussie decorater and I was thinking you are referring to what we call EXTENSION WORK - the rows of piped scallops and the vertical 'stringwork' - where she thinks you are referring to just piped scallops along the top edge.

Do I need a translator? icon_biggrin.gif

zdebssweetsj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
zdebssweetsj Posted 28 Oct 2009 , 2:19pm
post #7 of 10

Boy I've seen you Aussie's extension work that is amazing. I cringe every time a bride even looks like she wants string work(I'm referring to just simple drop strings). Need lots more practice and maybe Valium to go there. LOL

Sugarflowers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sugarflowers Posted 28 Oct 2009 , 2:48pm
post #8 of 10

Wrapping register tape or fax machine paper around a covered cake will give you the exact circumferance. The you can fold the length of the paper into the number of sections that you want. After this your pattern can be etched into the fondant.

HTH
Michele

JanelleH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanelleH Posted 29 Oct 2009 , 4:04am
post #9 of 10

Just for clarification, here's a link to a photo in the gallery that has "stringwork" as I know it here in Missouri, USA
http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=96793

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 29 Oct 2009 , 4:21am
post #10 of 10

i understood stringwork.. not garlands or swags.. the pic was a great help for those who didn,t understand stagegirl..

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%