How Do You Answer Sponsorship Questions?

Business By HarleyDee Updated 27 Oct 2009 , 1:44am by rosiecast

HarleyDee Posted 25 Oct 2009 , 1:37am
post #1 of 26

I got an email today from a bride-to-be asking if I would consider being a sponsor for her wedding. She says she doesn't have a budget for a wedding cake at all.

Of course this is a big "no" for me, but I don't know what to actually say in the email, without just saying "no way." icon_smile.gif

25 replies
TheSugaredBouquet Posted 25 Oct 2009 , 1:43am
post #2 of 26

I would just tell her that your charitable contributions for the year have already been allocated and that you wish her luck. I hate these requests.

Cakepro Posted 25 Oct 2009 , 1:44am
post #3 of 26

Seriously, you need help saying "sorry, I don't give away free wedding cakes"?

Perhaps just hit the delete button, then.

bbmom Posted 25 Oct 2009 , 1:50am
post #4 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSugaredBouquet

I would just tell her that your charitable contributions for the year have already been allocated and that you wish her luck. I hate these requests.

That sounds nice.

HarleyDee Posted 25 Oct 2009 , 2:09am
post #5 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cakepro

Seriously, you need help saying "sorry, I don't give away free wedding cakes"?

Perhaps just hit the delete button, then.

No, I don't mind saying "I don't give freebies," but I just wondered if there was a better way to say it. I know you just have to be blunt sometimes, and I can do that. I've just never had to respond to one of these requests before, so I was wondering what everyone has said.

Ruth0209 Posted 25 Oct 2009 , 2:27am
post #6 of 26

I never cease to be amazed at the nerve of some people. That is the tackiest thing ever.

I don't have any good suggestions about a response because I probably wouldn't be nice. I think I'd just delete it and not respond. Consider it spam like all the other unsolicited crap you get in your in box.

indydebi Posted 25 Oct 2009 , 2:31am
post #7 of 26

Send her the link to my blog on this VERY topic: http://cateritsimple.blogspot.com/search/label/sponsored

indydebi Posted 25 Oct 2009 , 2:33am
post #8 of 26

P.S. Be sure to read the comment someone posted on this blog article. It's hysterical! icon_lol.gif

WykdGud Posted 25 Oct 2009 , 2:34am
post #9 of 26

"All solicitations must be submitted in writing, and if it's an event we are interested in donating our time to - we will gladly let you know."

WykdGud Posted 25 Oct 2009 , 2:38am
post #10 of 26

BTW, I didn't know Star Jones was getting remarried... icon_wink.gif

HarleyDee Posted 25 Oct 2009 , 2:43am
post #11 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

P.S. Be sure to read the comment someone posted on this blog article. It's hysterical! icon_lol.gif

HAHAHA! that's great icon_smile.gif Yeh, I'll email her back and tell her, "I'll sponsor it if everyone in the wedding party, including the officiant and parents of the bride and groom will wear t-shirts and trucker hats with my business logo for the duration of the event." icon_biggrin.gif

Mensch Posted 25 Oct 2009 , 3:14am
post #12 of 26

How do I answer sponsorship questions?

With the delete button!

People are so tacky sometimes.

ccr03 Posted 26 Oct 2009 , 2:37pm
post #13 of 26

yeah, I don't know what so hard about this one.

"I'm sorry but this is not something I do. Good luck and congratulations!"

prterrell Posted 26 Oct 2009 , 6:42pm
post #14 of 26

I wouldn't. I'd just delete the email, possibly mark her as spam in the email program.

this-mama-rocks Posted 26 Oct 2009 , 7:04pm
post #15 of 26

"I would just tell her that your charitable contributions for the year have already been allocated...".

Well, since she IS begging, I would go one step further and suggest she contact her local food pantry to see if she can find a box of mix and a can of frosting, so she can bake it herself.

Geez.

cakesdivine Posted 26 Oct 2009 , 7:12pm
post #16 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarleyDee

I got an email today from a bride-to-be asking if I would consider being a sponsor for her wedding. She says she doesn't have a budget for a wedding cake at all.

Of course this is a big "no" for me, but I don't know what to actually say in the email, without just saying "no way." icon_smile.gif

My response...

Certainly! If you will reciprocate and sponsor my electric bill and rent icon_biggrin.gif

HarleyDee Posted 26 Oct 2009 , 7:33pm
post #17 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by this-mama-rocks

Well, since she IS begging, I would go one step further and suggest she contact her local food pantry to see if she can find a box of mix and a can of frosting, so she can bake it herself.
Geez.

LOL icon_biggrin.gif

Pookie59 Posted 26 Oct 2009 , 10:08pm
post #18 of 26

I think I'd be tempted to really explain things to her (rather than just say no or hit the delete key). Something like:

"Even though I enjoy my job and love making wedding cakes, this is not a hobby for me, it is a business. Ingredients and supplies cost money. Further, baking, decorating and delivery involves a great many hours, time that I would have to sacrifice for other money-making cakes.

Although I appreciate your need to minimize your costs, making a wedding cake is a costly and time consuming task and providing free wedding cakes does not pay my bills. Consequently, it is just not economically feasible for me to work for free. I trust you understand."

marmalade1687 Posted 26 Oct 2009 , 10:29pm
post #19 of 26

I usually just delete these kind of requests, but I really think that I should start sending them to indydebi's blog for all the answers! thumbs_up.gif

Ruth0209 Posted 26 Oct 2009 , 11:08pm
post #20 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pookie59

I think I'd be tempted to really explain things to her (rather than just say no or hit the delete key). Something like:

"Even though I enjoy my job and love making wedding cakes, this is not a hobby for me, it is a business. Ingredients and supplies cost money. Further, baking, decorating and delivery involves a great many hours, time that I would have to sacrifice for other money-making cakes.

Although I appreciate your need to minimize your costs, making a wedding cake is a costly and time consuming task and providing free wedding cakes does not pay my bills. Consequently, it is just not economically feasible for me to work for free. I trust you understand."

That's awfully nice. I just don't think it's necessary to explain to an adult that you don't get free things from a business. Give me a break. Who would really think this was an appropriate request? I just don't feel obligated to justify a "no". I don't think such requests even dignify a response.

LetThereBeCake07 Posted 26 Oct 2009 , 11:17pm
post #21 of 26

Thank you for considering me to be a sponsor for your wedding but i will have to decline your offer. Good luck with all your wedding plans, I wish you the best on your new future together.

just_for_fun Posted 26 Oct 2009 , 11:31pm
post #22 of 26

If someone can't afford a wedding, have they ever heard of getting married in city hall, and further down the line when they can afford to pay, they can make a big bash then??? or are they saving all their $$ for the honeymoon?

Ruth0209 Posted 26 Oct 2009 , 11:56pm
post #24 of 26
Quote:

HOLY CRAP! No wonder these brides are acting like such idiots when these articles legitimize this. It's just so typical of what got this country into the fix it's in. Can't afford it? Either overspend anyway and worry about how to pay for it after the wedding, OR try to scam it off business owners. This stufff makes me insane.

TheDomesticDiva Posted 27 Oct 2009 , 1:38am
post #25 of 26

Debi, your blog post absolutely has me in TEARS laughing over here! My husband thought I'd lost my mind sitting here with tears streaming down my face cackling at the computer!! Way to give it to them straight!! icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

...I think I'd have to go with a big fat "no" on that also. I'll bet the designer didn't "donate" her wedding gown!

rosiecast Posted 27 Oct 2009 , 1:44am
post #26 of 26

OMG- They actually have a guide that shows you how to get your wedding paid off? That's insane.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%